Sister Wives

Hey Berries! :slight_smile:

I recently saw the show [name]Sister[/name] Wives on TLC (a show about a polygamist family). It was very interesting to see that each wife’s children has a different style of names. So, while there are some children named [name]Gabriel[/name] and [name]Logan[/name], there are also others in the family named [name]Truely[/name] and [name]Mykelti[/name].

What do you think of the names?

Father: [name]Kody[/name]

Wife #1: [name]Meri[/name]
Girls: [name]Mariah[/name]
Boys: none

Wife #2: [name]Janelle[/name]
Girls: [name]Madison[/name], [name]Savanah[/name]
Boys: [name]Logan[/name], [name]Hunter[/name], [name]Robert[/name] (goes by mn [name]Garrison[/name]), [name]Gabriel[/name]

Wife #3: [name]Christine[/name]
Girls: [name]Aspyn[/name], [name]Mykelti[/name], Gwendlyn, [name]Ysabel[/name], [name]Truely[/name]
Boys: Paedon

Wife #4: [name]Robyn[/name] (her children are from a previous marriage)
Girls: [name]Aurora[/name], [name]Breanna[/name]
Boys: [name]Dayton[/name]

I personally think the most surprising name is [name]Mykelti[/name]. I’ve never heard of anything even similar to it before! And I’m really not fond of [name]Truely[/name]. What bothers me most about it is that it’s “truly” spelled incorrectly.

It appears as though wife #3 cannot spell.

I know, right? I feel bad for those kids, always having to spell people out their names…

Well, they are in [name]Utah[/name] which is supposed to be the hub of kre8ive naming, right? But when I think about how hard it is for me to keep my mouth shut at some of my friends’ questionable choices, I can’t imagine having to listen to my husband’s other wife connsidering McKelti!!!

I know what you mean. I have a friend who keeps adding letters to her unborn daughter’s name; it grows a bit every week. First it was [name]Alaya[/name], then [name]Alayah[/name], then Alayaha… I wonder what letter is next.

Well, all I can say is, [name]Gabriel[/name] and [name]Mariah[/name] and them all lucked out.

Sorry. I’m giggling…all I can think of is The [name]Happy[/name] Wanderer song: “Valderi, Valdera, Valderi, Valdera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha” I hope she doesn’t end up being Alayahahahaha!

And I completely agree with phoebesmom – I can’t imagine having to listen to “my husband’s other wife” doing anything, let alone choosing a name for their baby. <…shudders…> That show is like a train wreck…it completely freaks me out but I can’t look away.

I agree completely!

FYI: Mom #3 most likely “borrowed” [name]Mykelti[/name] from actor [name]Mykelti[/name] [name]Williamson[/name]. If you have seen the movie, [name]Forrest[/name] Gump, he was the actor who played Gump’s best friend [name]Bubba[/name], whom he met while in the army.

Oh, interesting! Thank you for that info. :slight_smile:

I am totally confused by wife #3, who stuck a y in all her girl names, whether or not it belonged, and then went and spelled [name]Payton[/name] without the y.

Also, this makes me equally happy (for my sanity and productivity) and sad (for train-wreck entertainment value) that I don’t have cable.

I’ve never seen the show but I saw a special they ran. I’m disappointed on a personal level that (1) [name]Gwendolyn[/name] is one of the names and (2) that they butchered it so! What’s so bad about the ‘o’ in the middle ?!?! I was relieved to learn that Paedon and [name]Dayton[/name] were not blood relatives since they rhyme. I actually quite like [name]Truely[/name] (in a guilty pleasure-I would never use it in real life way). [name]Tru/name is a cute nn!

Not only is [name]Truely[/name] spelled wrong, but her last name is [name]Brown[/name]! [name]Truely[/name] [name]Brown[/name].

I honestly think I’d like [name]Truely[/name] much more if it were spelled correctly. [name]Truly[/name] is actually quite cute, although I’d never use it. And yes, the last name situation…

My response:

To polygamy –
Ugh
To watching a TV program about polygamy –
Ugh
To the names listed here –
Ugh
To the idea of listening to your “sister wife” musing about name her baby [name]MyKelti[/name] –
Ugh ugh ugh.
To the idea of having a “sister wife:” (Is that – like – as icky as incest gets or what? I mean are we talking Chinatown – or – somehow ickier?)
Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.

I’m in [name]Utah[/name] and until they hit me, my family had been Mormons for many generations.

And THIS is why I don’t watch TLC.
They take reality tv to new lows

[name]Just[/name] for your info, the word “sister” in the phrase “sister wives” does not mean the women are biologically sisters. It’s just a way to refer to themselves, since they are all married to the same man.

Still crazy weird stuff though.

The episode where [name]Christine[/name] discusses picking the name “[name]Truely[/name] [name]Grace[/name]” cracked me up. She said that they couldn’t use a middle name to start with A, because then she’d be “[name]Truely[/name] A [name]Brown[/name]” and that’s just bad. LOL! [name]Christine[/name] cracks me up – she’s afraid of toasters!!

This show is a guilty pleasure of mine! By the way wife #4 ([name]Robyn[/name]) just had a baby boy this last [name]October[/name] -her first with the husband ([name]Kody[/name]) and they named him [name]Solomon[/name].
What was interesting was the other wives reaction to the name pick- wife #2 ([name]Jenelle[/name]) wasn’t a fan, her kids all have relativly “popular” names- [name]Logan[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Hunter[/name]. Wife #3 ([name]Christine[/name]) loved it because of the religious story and her kids names are much more adventurous-[name]Truely[/name],[name]Mykelti[/name],[name]Aspyn[/name]. Wife #1([name]Meri[/name]) didn’t really say anything about the name pick.

So what do you think of [name]Solomon[/name]?

First of all, the family on [name]Sister[/name] Wives is made up of intelligent people who are living their lives in the way they have chosen, and in my opinion they are doing it quite successfully. It’s not a train wreck at all. I, personally, think that the value they place on family (even though theirs it is not a “conventional” or “nuclear” one) is refreshing. Please, open your mind before you judge.

Second, I’m not a fan of [name]Christine[/name]'s names, either.