Site suggestions

Why is [name]Alice[/name] [name]Zenobia[/name] on new star babies, she’s 3 years old

Is there any way that you can allow us to search for names that don’t start with certain letters, say if you wanted a vintage girl name that didn’t start with S, M, L, K, or P and that doesn’t end in a, i, or s?

In Supersearch, you can search for only those qualities you want – vintage and girls, for instance, without specifying any letters. Also, if you click on just style, you can search just through the style qualities. Same thing for the other features – you can click on Origin and just go to the different origins etc.

I think that you should have a pronounciation key. For example, I thought the name [name]Delaney[/name] was pronounced del-uh-nee until I looked it up and found that it’s pronounced de-lain-ee.

So I think that would be helpful

First, I just want to say how excited I am to have found this site! I have been a HUGE fan since the very first Beyond [name]Jennifer[/name] and [name]Jason[/name]. I didn’t have my first baby until 1998, but I read and marked up the books long before that! I think I have everyone you’ve written and am so excited about Beyond [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Aiden[/name] that I had to call my mom when I heard it was being released. (she just laughed)

Second, I too would love some way to search for a name that does not start or end with a certain letter or letters.

Third, I have been using your lists for years to create “sibling name matches” for friends. I usually sit down with paper & pen your most recent books and study their children’s names as well as other names I know the parents like. I counter in the type pf people the parents are and in the end use a “scoring system” to come up with a list of great matches. This takes lots of time…although I enjoy every minute. (can you tell I’m a junky?) I would [name]LOVE[/name] some sort of generator that does what I do by hand in a matter of seconds. For example, I would type in [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] (names of an expecting friend’s girls) and it would spit back out [name]Camille[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]Natalie[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], and [name]Jessamine[/name]. Or something similar.

Great site so far! I can’t wait to se how it grows!

Thank you! So glad you found us too. We are definitely planning to expand along the lines you suggest – stay tuned. Also, on supersearch you can search using as many or as few of the qualities as you like – so you don’t have to specify letters a name begins or ends with. But if you [name]DO[/name] want to specify letters, you don’t have to limit yourself to one – you can look up all names that end in -son, for example, or ley. Have fun!

Hey I might come acrosse as rude but I do not agree with you baby name donts page... particularly question 8... to not name children with unique spellings. My name is spelled uniquely and I love it. I get a lot of complements for it daily and isnt the sites purpose to provide unique baby names? In my opinion spelling a baby`s name unique makes it well… unique! I heard you guys in country 95.3 this morning and was very distrurbed by the fact that you said naming a child with a unique spelling of a common name does not make it unique people find it challenging to keep track of spellings and such and that it creates problems for children. Sure people may spell it wrong… but is it really something you should not do? I do not think so… many people including myself may find this offensive. You should put up a name topic area that is like we said different spellings is a no, but its still okay and have different spellings for common names.

momtobe8197- It is absolutely not unique to give a child a “yooneeekleigh” spelled name. [name]Kayleigh[/name], [name]Ayden[/name], etc. do NOT make your child stand out amongst the correctly spelled children. It just makes it so their name is never spelled right. It’s not cute, it’s not unique, it’s certainly not classy. I’m curious why you think [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] should make a section called “We’ve said for years that these names are not unique, buuut, we’ve changed our minds because momtobebe8197 says we’re wrong, so have at it!”

Momtobe, I’m sorry that you were offended. And I’m happy to hear that you love your own uniquely-spelled name. The thing that makes our books and this site different from most others is that we do state our honest opinions on both individual names and overall naming practices, and starting with our first book Beyond [name]Jennifer[/name] & [name]Jason[/name] we’ve said that unique spellings, in our view, create more problems than solutions. We believe we give the best service to our readers by telling it as we see it BEFORE they settle on a name, rather than leaving them to discover the down side for themselves. I hope you’ll be able to take the advice here that makes sense to you, reject what doesn’t, and feel secure in the end that we’re not faking or hiding anything for the sake of making everybody happy all the time. Best wishes to you and your family.

sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, or if the feature exists but i just haven’ t found it, but… can you give us the ability to include a poll when we start a new thread? seems like a natural for forums like considering baby names, etc. thanks, wonderful site.

That’s a great idea!

I like the idea of polls too!

I think there should be a way to search for things other than names, and also a way to narrow down some of the searches of meaning. Like, for instance, I want a name that means tree or is a kind of tree or contains some reference to tree or trees. Right now, it is a list of nature names and you have to open most of them (if it’s not obvious, like [name]Lake[/name]) to see whether it references a specific natural form, such as tree. I think there should be a form or field to input just words like “tree” and see all the names that come up. Also, not only nature, but qualities particularly, or appearance. I want to avoid names that mean “little,” for example, or “dark-haired” but you have to check each name to find appearances that are more likely.

Also when searching on a name, it may bring up a menu with a list of other lists that name is on - is there a central location one may view these suggestions? I found a link at the bottom of the page, but I don’t see that it contains all the lists (excluding user lists). It might but it seems to be missing some that I’ve seen.

Hey [name]Karen[/name], thought I’d tell you how to do the meaning search. I didn’t know about it until I’d been on this site for months! On the main page there is a blue box that says “Search Names By:”, one of the options there is Meaning, just click on that, then nature, then Tree, and you’ll have 71 names!

As for the lists, if you’re on the home page, on the left purple area of the page there is a List of the [name]Day[/name], it says the current list, and then very small it says more, just click that and there are all the lists!