Sloane or Helen

Hi everyone-

Hubby and I are determining the name of our third child. We have a difference of opinion of what it should be. We are debating between the names [name_f]Helen[/name_f] and [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]. We like short names. I personally love love [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] as it sounds strong and beautiful to me, and also unique. Hubby is more learning towards [name_f]Helen[/name_f], which is also strong and rare as a baby name these days.

If we were to put it as a first name, any thoughts re:

Sloane [name_f]Helen[/name_f]
Vs.
[name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]

Last name rhymes with [name_u]Van[/name_u] Deken

Helen [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]

A tough one but I prefer [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] more than [name_f]Helen[/name_f]. I agree that it is strong, beautiful, and unique. [name_f]Helen[/name_f] is rare nowadays, but there are other names similar like [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Ellen[/name_f], etc. that might make it seem less rare, if rare is something you’re going for. Good luck!

I prefer the name [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] [name_f]Helen[/name_f].
When you have [name_f]Helen[/name_f] as a first the sounds slur together and it sounds like Hel and [name_u]Sloane[/name_u].
Whatever you and your partner decided is fine, but that is just my personal opinion

1 Like

They are so stylistically different in my opinion. One is casual to the point of sloppy sounding, the other is quite prim.
Other thoughts somewhere in the middle of these two:
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_u]Haven[/name_u]
[name_u]Harbor[/name_u]
[name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]
[name_u]Shay[/name_u]
[name_u]Honor[/name_u]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]

I prefer [name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] (or even [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]).

I think [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] [name_f]Helen[/name_f] sounds better, but I much, much prefer [name_f]Helen[/name_f] to [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]. [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] just doesn’t appeal to me, sound-wise. (But if you love it, great!)

Helena [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] was a great suggestion too.

1 Like

Helen [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]

Sloane [name_f]Helen[/name_f]! So pretty!

I personally strongly prefer [name_u]Sloane[/name_u].

I prefer [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] with the surname! [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] [name_f]Helen[/name_f] is lovely.

Helen [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]! So sweet!

I much prefer [name_f]Helen[/name_f]! [name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] would work beautifully.

I prefer the flow of [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] [name_f]Helen[/name_f] and [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] with your surname!

I’d be interested to here what you’re other children’s names are. Since each of this has a very different style it might depend on that.

3 Likes

Yes. [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] [name_u]Van[/name_u] Deken vs [name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_u]Van[/name_u] Deken. They do sound pretty different. I really prefer [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] somehow.

I prefer [name_f]Helen[/name_f], although I’m not crazy about either. [name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] works better than [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] [name_f]Helen[/name_f] imo.

I think it would depend on sibling names, but [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] is my favourite name of the two.

Sloane, especially as [name_f]Helen[/name_f] rhymes with [name_u]Van[/name_u] Deken when I say it.

Another vote for [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]!

I agree with you. [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] is strong yet feminine & elegant. It’s short & simple w/your long ln too. I want to like [name_f]Helen[/name_f]. It’s really vintage & unexpected, but the ‘hell’ part just kind of sounds off.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile: