Sloane?

What do you all think of [name]Sloane[/name] for a girl? I think it’s spunky and I love its short, straightforward and soft sound, but I worry that it’s trendy and not feminine enough. Style-wise, it doesn’t seem to fit in with my other favorites, such as [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Clara[/name], and [name]Eve[/name]. I’m not expecting, but I just thought I’d get some opinions on the name. If I were to use it, could it still “go” with more classic, feminine sibling names?

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

Personally, I’m not a fan of [name]Sloane[/name], but I can see why others might like it. I understand it has some history behind it. For me, I don’t like the sounds in the name: the ‘Sl’ sound reminds me of other ‘Sl’ words like sloth and slither and slug, while the ‘oane’ part reminds me of ‘moan’ and ‘groan’. But I think I’m just a bit over sensitive when it comes to sound-associations - I’m sure other people would never think of such silly things!

I do think that as it has quite a masculine sound, it would be better if siblings had a similar type of name. Sorry to sound so negative!

[name]Don[/name]'t be sorry at all – I appreciate the feedback! I understand where you’re coming from, especially about the “-oane” ending.

[name]Don[/name]'t be sorry at all – I appreciate the feedback! I understand where you’re coming from, especially about the “-oane” ending.[/quote]

I grew up with a girl named [name]Sloan[/name], and I always felt it was too different of a name for a girl. It is more of a masculine name. Of your other girl’s names, I like [name]Clara[/name] and [name]Audrey[/name].

I adore [name]Sloane[/name]! Our 4yo’s name is [name]Mia[/name] [name]Sloane[/name]. I think it’s gorgeous and strong.

Best wishes!
[name]Tara[/name]

I do like the name [name]Sloane[/name]. But, you should be aware that [name]Sloane[/name] is the name of commerical plumbing products. It is not uncommon to see [name]Sloan[/name] clearly visible on toliets, urinals, faucets and sinks in public bathrooms.
In [name]Sloane[/name] Crosely’s book, I Thought There Would Be Cake, she mentions the dilemna of sharing her name with plumbing products. If I remember correctly, she has an entire chapter dedicated to her name. It is a funny read and I would pick it up if you are seriously considering this name.

I’m not in love with [name]Sloane[/name], but I think it has a unisex, surname feel that fits in wonderfully with today’s naming trends, even though it isn’t necessarily unisex at all! [name]Sloane[/name] seems boring to me, kind of like [name]Nora[/name] (a name I hate but many people love…), and it seems a bit upper-crust (which shouldn’t bother me, since all the name I love are a bit, well, yuppy, too…). That being said, I think it can pair beautifully with some of the more vintage classic names, like [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Olive[/name], [name]Virginia[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], and [name]Victoria[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Sloane[/name] [name]Audrey[/name]!
That is probably because it is a top name on our list… how funny,I guess it is not as original as I thought.
Personally i love the mix of masculine and feminine, “[name]Sloane[/name]” is very strong and empowering, while the classic “[name]Audrey[/name]” makes the whole name girly. But that is just my opinion!

My friend’s daughter is named [name]Sloan[/name], was the mother’s maiden name.

I think it’s way cool for an older child / adult but a bit heavy on a little one.

Im not a fan of [name]Sloane[/name], especially for a girl. However i do love [name]Sloan[/name] for a boy. I share your worry that [name]Sloane[/name] is not feminine enough, its actually very masculine to me, but i love that its very strong and straightforward, but to me its all boy. [name]Hope[/name] that helps:)

I like [name]Sloane[/name].
I do agree that it doesn’t fit a little one as good as an adult though. Maybe you can use it as a middle name as opposed to a first. You can always call your girl by her middle name.

I personally do not like it… it’s just so harsh I think for a girl/woman. I guess I can see the appeal, but it’s definitley no favourite of mine. It starts with Slo…Slow… I can’t wrap my head around it.

I had an acquaintance who was torn between [name]Sloane[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name] for her daughter. She ended up choosing [name]Rowan[/name].