so annoyed!!!!

so we had FINALLY decided on [name]Charlotte[/name] for our DD. now i’m reading how it’s supposed to be one of the biggest names of 2010!!! i wanted to be somewhat original, but not too out there. :frowning:
this sounds silly, but i feel like someone stole my baby name! LOL!

I’m sorry! I know how you feel. I chose [name]Alanna[/name] for my DD’s name 2 yrs ago, and I liked how I’ve never heard it, and many people had never heard of it either. NOW I know of 2 other people that chose the name for their own daughter, AND now there is a stupid [name]Dora[/name] the [name]Explorer[/name] - [name]Explorer[/name] Girls doll with her name!

I say if you really [name]LOVE[/name] the name, then still go with it. But if it really, really bothers you, then keep looking for anothr name. Maybe look for something that is not in the top 100 on the SSA list. (That is if you’re from the US). You can find the top 1000 names in the US @ the SSA’s website. Go here:

scroll down to “Popular Names by Birth Year” Enter year 2008, and the top # you want (20, 50, 100, 500, or 1000).
Good luck!

I have toddlers and live in Ottawa [name]Canada[/name]. [name]Charlotte[/name] is huge here. If you can’t bear to have a popular name… then you might consider something else. But it is a very pretty name (so no wonder it is catching on.)

I think you should stick with it. [name]Even[/name] though names are popular, only a select percentage (relatively small) of the new babies born are given those names. I don’t see [name]Charlotte[/name] taking over for [name]Emma[/name], [name]Emily[/name], and [name]Olivia[/name] anytime soon, especially when [name]Emily[/name] has been at the top of the charts since 1996. It is true that [name]Charlotte[/name] has increased on the SSA rankings by nearly 200 points in the last 8 years, but I don’t think that ruins a perfectly gorgeous name! In 2008, only 3623 girls in the entire country were named [name]Charlotte[/name], even though it ranks #87 - that is .1763% of the entire population. I think you are still being original, and it is one of my favorite names! Give her a more unpopular middle name if you like…

Best of luck with your new baby!

What state do you live in? I bet [name]Charlotte[/name] isn’t popular in [name]California[/name].

I understand what you mean. When I love a name I don’t suggest it to other people looking for names and get a little irrational when I find someone who has that name. You don’t want your child to just seem like another [name]Charlotte[/name] in her class at school.

Options similar to [name]Charlotte[/name] could be:
[name]Carlota[/name]/[name]Carlotta[/name]
Charmay
[name]Charla[/name]
[name]Charlene[/name]
Charlessa
[name]Clarissa[/name]
[name]Carla[/name]

Or you could refer to her by a more unusual nickname like [name]Lottie[/name] or [name]Carly[/name] so that she stands out a bit more.
Or give her a more unusual middle name

[name]How[/name] about [name]Scarlett[/name]?

I think this is a very pretty name and if you love it, use it. I do think it is rising in popularity, perhaps moreso now that [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Michelle[/name] Gellar also named her daughter this.

Not sure if these work for you but other names that, to me, have the same feel as [name]Charlotte[/name]…

[name]Annaliese[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Clotilde[/name]
[name]Cosette[/name]

I just wanted to say that I totally understand. I’ve had several names i love, including [name]Charlotte[/name] btw, scratched off the list because they are just too popular for me. I don’t know what the complusion is to have a name that no one else has, but is still beautiful and recognizeable…but it makes things hard, doesn’t it? :slight_smile: