So, how many Lilys do you know? Is it really THAT ubiquitous?

I have a friend who wants to use this. It’s her favorite and has been for years. She actually wants [name]Lillian[/name], nn [name]Lily[/name]. I told her, though, that she should expect her daughter will be [name]Lily[/name] R. every year that she’s in school, since I know that [name]Lily[/name] in all it’s combined spellings is something like the actual #3 name. And she agrees that she really doesn’t want her daughter to have a super-popular name. But how common is it really? Teachers and those who interact with a lot of kids - do you constantly see [name]Lily[/name]/[name]Lilly[/name]/[name]Lillian[/name]/[name]Lilliana[/name], etc., or am I steering a friend away from her favorite name unnecessarily?

I know a [name]Lilly[/name] who is about 2 or 3 yrs old., and I know 2 older adults named [name]Lillian[/name] in my area. I work with children, but do not hear [name]Lily[/name] used extremely often, nor have I in the last few years, in my region (Northeast PA/NJ). Personally, I adore the name [name]Lily[/name].

I know 2 little [name]Lily[/name]'s.

However, as the owner of a customized children’s business, I would say that [name]Lily[/name]/[name]Lillian[/name] is quite popular now. I get lots of [name]Lily[/name] orders. It’s still a very pretty name though.

I’ve never met someone named [name]Lily[/name] before. I don’t know anyone name [name]Lilly[/name], [name]Lillian[/name] or [name]Lilliana[/name] either.

My cousin [name]Lily[/name] is 19, and my niece [name]Lily[/name] ([name]Lillianna[/name]) is 2. [name]Add[/name] in an old friend’s 8 year old niece ([name]Lillian[/name]) and I know three, who are spread out both age wise and geographically. That said, I’m thinking the fact that actress [name]Mary[/name] [name]McCormack[/name] just had a [name]Lillian[/name] last week isn’t going to help the name decrease in popularity any time soon. But it’s still pretty.

[name]Alexis[/name]

I know of one [name]Lily[/name] - she is a college student. I don’t know any little girls named [name]Lily[/name].

I’m a [name]Lily[/name]! I know two others around my age ([name]Lily[/name] and [name]Lillie[/name]), and about 2 younger ones, as well. I think it’s mainstream and very normal, but not quite to [name]Hannah[/name] or [name]Emily[/name] status.

I don’t know anyone named [name]Lily[/name]. I’m in [name]Canada[/name], though, so it may not help.

I’ve seen it pointed out before that with even the most popular name choices now, there are fewer children total who have that name than in the past with popular names. So it may be that she doesn’t run into any/many other girls named [name]Lily[/name].

I only just realized that my name ([name]Shannon[/name]) was fairly popular – #20 or so when I was born. There was one other [name]Shannon[/name] my age all through elementary school, and we were often in the same class (which seems odd to me). In high school, there were at least three other Shannons in my grade, but none in any other grade. And I’ve always thought “[name]Man[/name], would I ever hate to have a popular name like [name]Jennifer[/name] or [name]Amanda[/name] or [name]John[/name] or [name]Matthew[/name], where there are three other kids with the same name in my class,” and we’ve chosen uncommon names to avoid that. It just occurred to me recently that I totally was that kid who had to have their last initial after their name. Obviously, it wasn’t a big deal to me. It never seemed to happen outside of my school, though – like at camps or Girl Guides or whatever. It seemed like my school was just a hotbed for Shannons.

And [name]Lillian[/name] is such a great name. It’s a great adult name, and [name]Lily[/name] is a cute kid nn. I wouldn’t discourage her from it, especially if she really loves it and has wanted it for a long time.

I know one [name]Lillian[/name] who is under 5. I think it’s a very pretty name.

I know one [name]Lillie/name Who is 18 months old. I hear that the nurseries in my area ([name]North[/name] [name]Wales[/name]) are full of [name]Lily[/name]'s, [name]Lilly[/name]'s and [name]Lillie[/name]'s.

In the Midwest here, I know two little [name]Lily[/name]'s and two in their mid to late 20s. My mom is a preschool teacher and hasn’t had that many students with that name. If your friend is in the States, has it been in the top 10 for her state in the past couple of years? That information would be very useful. If the name wasn’t in the top 10 for her state in the last 5 years or so, I’d probably still consider it.

I know a [name]Lily[/name] who is about 10 years old. However 2 of my close friends both have dogs named [name]Lily[/name] so I feel I am ALWAYS hearing the name [name]Lily[/name] being shouted!

I know three Lilys/Lillys. Two of them are [name]Lillian[/name], nn [name]Lily[/name]. One’s in college and the other is in her mid-fifties, probably. The last one is one of my mom’s former coworker’s children–she’s probably 1 or 2 now…

I know about five [name]Lily[/name]'s under the age of 5. I don’t know if this is a regional thing or not, I’m in the [name]North[/name] [name]East[/name]. I think it’s a beautiful name, I love it, but I think there is a good chance that her daughter will be one of several [name]Lily[/name]'s in her class.

In my whole life I have met 4 [name]Lilly[/name]'s. It doesn’t even come close to rivaling the [name]Katherine[/name]'s, [name]Sarah[/name]'s or even [name]Megan[/name]'s that I know.

I also live in northern NJ and it feels like there are tons of Lilys (and its variations) around here!

I know a TON of little Lilys/Lillians. Some of them are children of FB friends, and at least 6-7 are from the pool.

Have you looked at the ssa.gov website? You can get the top 100 names specific to your state–that might give your friend a little more of an idea of the popularity where you are.

I love Lily and all its variants. I know one Liliana, but that’s it. She’s not quite 2.

Okay, so [name]Lily[/name] is really popular, especially when [name]Lily[/name], [name]Lilly[/name], [name]Lillian[/name] and [name]Liliana[/name] are combined (and similar names like [name]Lila[/name]). But, if she really loves it, I’m not sure that should stop her. If there is another [name]Lily[/name] in her class, maybe your friend’s [name]Lily[/name] could use her full name, [name]Lillian[/name], instead of being [name]Lily[/name] R. Or you coudl use middle names instead of last initials! [name]Lily[/name] [name]Mae[/name] and [name]Lily[/name] [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Lily[/name] [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Lily[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is much nicer than [name]Lily[/name] R. and [name]Lily[/name] P. if you ask me!

My son had a [name]Lilly[/name] in his preschool class. [name]Do[/name] you know that you can check the Social Security Administration’s website for the popularity of names in different states. Once a name is as popular as [name]Lilly[/name] it may not matter, but I’m not sure. My son’s name is pretty popular here (and now on the top 100 list) but where we moved from it isn’t popular at all. So, trends do vary by region.