So, how'd you become a Berry?

When I first discovered Nameberry about a year ago, I was newly pregnant and starting a list of names for my unborn child. It was wonderful to find so many people with good taste here, but quickly it became clear that not everybody here is expecting a baby. I’m just curious – if you’re not in the baby-naming process right now, what brought you here? [name]How[/name] did you become a devoted [name]Berry[/name]?

I should mention that I’m forever grateful to the non-expecting name-suggesters – you helped inspired my baby boy’s name, [name]Archer[/name] (nn [name]Archie[/name]!). It’s a name that holds a lot of meaning for my husband and me, but we were nervous about using it. The support for the name on the Nameberry message boards convinced us to go for it, and we love it – even though some family members don’t!

And, while I don’t post enough to consider myself a bona fide [name]Berry[/name] myself, I do find that I’m still reading the newsletter every day, nearly 4 months into my son’s life. Someday I’ll be making a name list again, but for now, I’m just enjoying the commentary. [name]Just[/name] wondering how other people landed here!

I was working as a unix/linux admin last summer and absolutely hated it! I was so bored and surrounded by people reading nerdy video game blogs and forums for 8 hours a day. I had to find an alternative website to facebook, which people recognize immediately and know you weren’t working, lol. I was googling my favorite baby names and their meanings and stumbled across NameBerry! I signed up and was hooked by the ‘Duggar’ game, naming 19 kids the same letter, hahaha. I knew my s/o and I would be TTC eventually, little did I know that we would get it on the first try a few months later :wink:

So here I am, 6 months along, expecting our first on Sept 3. :slight_smile: I love it here, even through some of the slayings of my favorite names :stuck_out_tongue:

I have been interested in names and making name lists since I was a teenager. At some point I began to be frustrated with the online baby naming resources that I could find (even though I was simply doing it as a hobby/ pastime I enjoyed :slight_smile: ) I wandered over to Amazon.com (well Amazon.ca actually ;)) and as soon as I searched for baby name books I became convinced that these were what I was looking for. [name]Every[/name] time I bought a book (yes, I have many!), I would go to the corresponding website listed in the book, which is how I found Nameberry (with one of [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]'s books, I can’t remember which one).

Now DH and I are TTC so I’m even MORE grateful that I discovered this site and joined it when I did. I think it was perfect timing, or fate :smiley: Now we will definitely have well named children :smiley:

Thanks, Amandachristine…so nice to hear!!

I’ve loved names for as long as I can remember, and I’ve been making lists since I was eight. When I was thirteen I started frequenting the baby names section on Yahoo! Answers and was horrified by most of the names people were considering for their kids. They were as equally horrified by the fact that I thought [name]Florence[/name] and [name]Helen[/name] were good names for little girls. Last summer I came across Nameberry after searching “old lady names” on Google. I’ve been obsessed ever since.

I can’t remember how I found nameberry but I love names and when my kids started asking for name ideas for their kids that is then my name nerdiness really took off and then it became a hobby.

Nameberry is a great forum, run so well by [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] and it has great advice and great manners and it is this nice atmosphere that I appreciate the most.

As you can tell from my join date, I joined Nameberry not long after it started way back in [name]October[/name] 2008. In fact, I first started following them online with their pre-Nameberry site mentioned in (at least the edition at the time) The [name]Baby[/name] Name Bible; when Nameberry was establised the old site then led me over here.

I became a berry because all my other name sites had either been shut down, taken over by the tryndees or they were more focused on things besides names. I have to say, this is probably the most pleasant board I’ve ever belonged to and the general style around here suits me well. And since I own a number of books by the Authors of this blog, I figured “why not?” especially since “Beyond [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Aidan[/name]” renewed my hope in baby name books.

As for names in general, I’ve been a name nerd since I was 14, I’m now 21 and still spend as much time on “my lists” (as my SO calls them, luckily he thinks it’s “cute”). I wish I had found nameberry when i was pregnant with my son, I’m sure I would have been happier with his name if I had.

I have been a name nerd for a a long time now (used to create class lists just to use names, always named my dollhouse families etc.) but when it came to naming a real child I was a bit stumped. I mean, there was a finite amount of times I could do that, right?!
I named my three children and then became alarmed at how many children I was meeting with my dd’s name ([name]Phoebe[/name]) so I came on here to gauge it. I know, a bit weird but I was worried. I should have been more worried about dd #2 ([name]Hadley[/name]) whose name is taking off!!
Anyways, I was stalking interest in my kids’ names. I guess I was doing it to not be surprised to hear the names being used more!