So mixed up

Please help me choose a name. My husband really likes the name [name]HEATH[/name]. I was starting to accept it. Then I read a post on Nameberry that [name]Heath[/name] reminds someone of Sheath (which they described as part of a male horse’s penis). Another person said [name]Heath[/name] sounds like a strange sound a mad cat would growl.

My sister says [name]Heath[/name] looks like Health misspelled.

[name]Heath[/name] could also look like Heathen. Not something I want my son to be.

[name]Heath[/name] also means a land with scrubby bushes. Our last name is [name]Moss[/name]. I wonder if [name]Heath[/name] [name]Moss[/name] is “too plant like” of a name.

Should I forget [name]Heath[/name] and go with another name on the list? I also like the name [name]Truman[/name]. My husband thinks [name]Truman[/name] is a bit nerdy or too presidential.

HELP Please!!! Our other two children are [name]BLAKE[/name] and [name]GRANT[/name].

I think [name]Heath[/name] is a perfectly good name. Yes, [name]Heath[/name] [name]Moss[/name] is a bit botanical, but it’s still a lovely name. I’m not fond of [name]Truman[/name]–I generally don’t like that style of name. Other possibilities:

[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Boone[/name]
[name]Bram[/name]
[name]Clark[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Zeke[/name]

If you’re feeling that badly about [name]Heath[/name], then I think you should look for something else. Perhaps another one syllable name?

[name]Reese[/name]/[name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Cade[/name]
[name]Cole[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Dane[/name]
[name]Dean[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Vaughn[/name]
[name]Keith[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Shane[/name]
[name]James[/name]

[name]How[/name] about [name]Reid[/name]? So handsome, and goes perfectly with [name]Blake[/name] and [name]Grant[/name].

[name]Heath[/name] [name]Moss[/name] would be a little too much of a nature name. [name]Truman[/name] is ok. Here are some suggestions for [name]Blake[/name] and [name]Grant[/name]'s brother.

[name]One[/name]-syllable

[name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Craig[/name]
[name]Lorne[/name]
[name]Keith[/name]/[name]Keefe[/name]
[name]Laird[/name]
[name]Boone[/name]
[name]Carl[/name]
[name]Chad[/name]
[name]Dean[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Lance[/name]
[name]Kyle[/name]
[name]Noel[/name]
[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Shane[/name]
[name]Vaughan[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Lane[/name]
[name]Hale[/name]
[name]Booth[/name]
[name]Troy[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
Clive

Two-syllables

[name]Porter[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Calder[/name]
[name]Cooper[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Jesse[/name]
[name]Aaron[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
Nolan

I absolutely love [name]Heath[/name]. I have never heard it in relation to Health or Sheath. It is one of my favs.

I think [name]Heath[/name] is a great name… and I would never think of a horse penis when hearing it. I’m not a fan of [name]Truman[/name] at all.

I really like the sound of [name]Heath[/name] [name]Moss[/name]. For me, it sounds like someone who could be the sweet boy next door or someone who’s a little rebellious. I like it a lot.

You shouldn’t feel like you have to settle on a name or make yourself like it, even if it is a perfectly acceptable one like [name]Heath[/name] (I wouldn’t worry about any of those concerns, though I did notice the double botanticals). I slightly prefer the sound of [name]Truman[/name] [name]Moss[/name] to [name]Heath[/name] [name]Moss[/name], but I also think there are a lot of great suggestions here, esp. [name]Reid[/name], [name]Rhys[/name], [name]Dean[/name], [name]Vaughn[/name], [name]Spencer[/name], [name]Nolan[/name]…

[name]Heath[/name] sounds great with [name]Blake[/name] and [name]Grant[/name]! I like mischa’s list of 1-syllable names above, too.

Sheath is slang for condom in my country. It’s also the word for the casing of a sword or dagger (when someone draws a sword, they’re drawing it out of a sheath. And yes, that is probably where the slang comes from.) I’ve never heard it used to refer to a horse’s penis before. Regardless, [name]Heath[/name] doesn’t remind me of sheath.

It doesn’t sound like “heathen” to me, but if you think it does, I’d be concerned about “heathen” being a highly offensive slur than its actual meaning.

If you’re really on edge about [name]Heath[/name], I’d suggest using it as a middle name. [name]Truman[/name] [name]Heath[/name] [name]Moss[/name] sounds good to me.

I think you should move on from the name because of the issues you listed. If I’m honest, I don’t think it flows very well with your last name.