Sofia or Reya?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] There,

[name_f]My[/name_f] wife and I are very torn between these two names for our baby girl. On one hand, I know [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] is incredibly popular, but we still love it and none of our friends have taken this name maybe due to the popularity

[name_f]Reya [/name_f]has the uniqueness factor and is also versatile. We are indian (but born here in california) and [name_f]Reya [/name_f]can go so many ways (spanish, indian, etc. etc.).

Other tidbits - [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] means wisdom and [name_f]Reya [/name_f]means [name_f]Queen[/name_f]

What sounds better to you? Thanks!

1 Like

I think both are great options! I love [name_f]Sofia[/name_f], but [name_f]Reya [/name_f]seems so fun and different…might be leaning towards Reya.

You might consider using both: [name_f]Reya [/name_f][name_f]Sofia[/name_f]?

I was going to vote for [name_f]Sofia[/name_f], but then I saw your explanation and I love that [name_f]Reya [/name_f]honors your heritage. Both names have fabulous meanings! I love that [name_f]Reya [/name_f]is unexpected, distinct, powerful and strong. [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] is a beautiful name too. It’s timeless, elegant and also associated with royalty.

Good luck with your decision!

I think I prefer Reya. I like the suggestion of [name_f]Reya [/name_f][name_f]Sofia[/name_f] or maybe [name_f]Reya [/name_f][name_f]Sofie[/name_f]? :slight_smile: Wise queen would be an awesome name meaning!

I love Reya! It’s very beautiful and quite unexpected! It’s similar to [name_f]Reyna[/name_f], which is one of my favorites! [name_f]Reya [/name_f]gets my vote for sure!

I vote for Reya!

The near universal popularity of [name_f]Sofia[/name_f]/[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]/[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] reduces the specialness for me, whereas [name_f]Reya [/name_f]feels fresh and free, but also wise and grounded somehow, perhaps because of it’s international versatility. I also love the nickname [name_u]Rey[/name_u]- bright like a ray of sunshine, yet bada$$ like [name_u]Rey[/name_u] from [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars. But of course, pick whichever your heart and gut tell you!

[name_f]Reya [/name_f]is fantastic!! Queenly, quirky and versatile

Hello, welcome to Nameberry! I would agree that [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] are quite common, but the spelling of [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] is one I never see. I think it’s elegant and if popularity doesn’t worry you then go for it! I think it’s getting less popular or at least in the region that I live in. [name_f]Reya [/name_f]reminds me a lot of [name_u]Rey[/name_u] which is a [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars main character. She’s a strong woman and I would totally want my child to have a great namesake like that.

Out of the two, I would vote Reya. It sounds like it has more of a personal meaning to you. If you are looking for other royal names, there is [name_f]Reina[/name_f](queen) or [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] (mean princess).

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps!

Another vote for Reya

There is also [name_f]Sereia[/name_f]

1 Like

That would be sooo interesting! :heart_eyes::heart:
The pronunciation is a little different from Reya, but I would definitely love to meet a [name_f]Sereia[/name_f].

[name_f]Reya [/name_f]or [name_f]Sereia[/name_f]

[name_f]Reya [/name_f]is unexpected and is meaningful for me, so it gets my vote. [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] is a bit overdone.

I like [name_f]Reya [/name_f]better.

I love Reya! I know one in real life (spelled [name_f]Rheya[/name_f]) and she was such a cute baby. She would be a teenager now

I think you should go for [name_f]Reya [/name_f]it’s a lot less common and still so pretty for a kid