Sol for a girl?

I’m loving “sun” names at the moment, and this one’s as simple as they come. What do you think of it? Does it work outside of Spanish-speaking countries?

[name_m]Sol[/name_m] for a girl? Yes, please. I know twin sisters called [name_f]Maria[/name_f] del [name_f]Mar[/name_f] and [name_f]Maria[/name_f] del [name_m]Sol[/name_m] ([name_f]Mary[/name_f] of the Sea and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] of the sun). It is corny for adult women, so [name_f]Maria[/name_f] del [name_f]Mar[/name_f] is called [name_f]Mari[/name_f] and [name_f]Maria[/name_f] del [name_m]Sol[/name_m] is just [name_m]Sol[/name_m]. She got the better deal, in my opinion.

A simple name full of life and good vibes. I love it and prefer it to [name_f]Soleil[/name_f] or [name_u]Sunny[/name_u].

I like it and I think it would work well. It has a beautiful simplicity and it’s definitely very connected to the sun. As well as being the Spanish and Portuguese word for sun, in Norse mythology the goddess of the sun was called Sól or Sunna. Also it’s sometimes a homophone with the English word “soul” which is nice too.

It’s also the Danish word for “sun” :slight_smile: It’s pretty cute, has a hippy feeling to it. I think it works fine!

I would choose a fuller form myself, like Solvei/Solveia…but I think [name_m]Sol[/name_m] is a cute nn. I’m not a fan of sunny, though, for various family reasons, which always gives me pause, as does the vocabulary word sully. I do very much like the obscure Apricity, which means ‘the warmth of the sun in winter’. That’s divine, in my book!

I love [name_m]Sol[/name_m] a lot, actually! One of my best friends (a boy) is called [name_m]Sol[/name_m], so I’d probably presume [name_m]Sol[/name_m] to be a boy at first sight but I think it’s just as lovely on a girl!

I think it works.

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t know how [name_m]Sol[/name_m] could work in English-speaking countries, because I’m from [name_f]Argentina[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] came here to say I adore the name [name_m]Sol[/name_m], it is pretty popular here amongst teenagers and it’s a gorgeous name. Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name_m]Sol[/name_m] is such a nice name! [name_m]Even[/name_m] though, “sol” is a male word in Portuguese for “sun”, I have only ever heard on females (one female dog, [name_m]Sol[/name_m], and one human girl, [name_f]Marisol[/name_f]… oh! And I think there is this Disney TV show with a [name_f]Soledad[/name_f] nn [name_m]Sol[/name_m] [a favorite of mine]).

I love [name_m]Sol[/name_m]. I just prefer the stronger, sharper Spanish pronunciation. I feel like in English it would be pronounced as “Soul”.

It works fine to me, although it seems a bit incomplete. My first reaction was short for what, not the sun.

Yesss its simple and pretty! It doesnt matter where you live. I dont like soledad though because it has the word dad in it.

Thanks everyone :slight_smile: Wow, [name_m]Sol[/name_m] got a better reception than I expected! One to think about… I do love the freshness and simplicity of it - it’s like one of my favourites, [name_f]Liv[/name_f], without the [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] issue. Where I am, it’s pronounced quite differently from “soul” so I’m not too concerned on that front.

I think it’s cute, but to me it’s a nickname for [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]. I agree it has a hippy vibe to it. My favourite sun name for a girl is [name_f]Soleil[/name_f].