Solomon for a girl?

This is not for a real baby, just theoretical. Looking for religious-ish masculine-ish names that can be used for baby girls, along the lines of ‘Gideon’. What do you guys think about [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] (Sol for short) for a girl?

1 Like

Personally I’m not a fan of [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] for a girl just not for me!

3 Likes

Since this is all theoretical, sure, why not. I’ve met a girl called [name_m]Sol[/name_m] too :slight_smile:

(I think it would be a cool character name too)

I think these would be cool too:

[name_m]Casper[/name_m] ‘Cassie’
[name_m]Jericho[/name_m] ‘Coco’ ‘JJ’ ‘Joey’
[name_m]Zephaniah[/name_m] ‘Zephie’ ‘Nia’
[name_m]Amos[/name_m] ‘Amy’ ‘Mossie’
[name_m]Jeremiah[/name_m] ‘Jemma’ ‘Miah’
[name_m]Absalom[/name_m] ‘Abbie’ ‘Sol’ ‘Sal’
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m] ‘Ruby’
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m] ‘Bennie’

1 Like

I could see Sol for a girl but not Solomon . :melting_face:

I also like suggestion of Jericho :cherry_blossom::honeybee:

1 Like

[name_m]Welcome[/name_m] to Nameberry!

I can’t get into [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] for a girl, but I love the above suggestion of [name_m]Jericho[/name_m] nn [name_f]Coco[/name_f].

Maybe also…

[name_m]Moses[/name_m] nn [name_f]Mo[/name_f], Mosey
[name_m]Josiah[/name_m] nn [name_f]Josie[/name_f]
[name_m]Judah[/name_m]
[name_m]Asher[/name_m]
[name_f]Noa[/name_f] / [name_m]Noah[/name_m]
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m] nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]
[name_m]Micah[/name_m]
[name_m]Asa[/name_m]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] nn [name_f]Gabby[/name_f], [name_f]Brie[/name_f]
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]
[name_m]Ira[/name_m]
[name_m]Jesse[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucius[/name_m] nn [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_m]Adriel[/name_m] nn [name_f]Addy[/name_f]
[name_m]Azariah[/name_m]
[name_m]Jeremiah[/name_m] nn [name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_m]Kenan[/name_m]
[name_m]Lael[/name_m]
[name_m]Zuriel[/name_m] nn [name_f]Zuri[/name_f]
[name_m]Joah[/name_m]
[name_m]Adlai[/name_m]
[name_m]Elisha[/name_m]
[name_m]Jedidiah[/name_m]
[name_f]Aquila[/name_f]
[name_m]Reuel[/name_m] nn [name_f]Rue[/name_f]
[name_m]Eliel[/name_m]
[name_m]Micaiah[/name_m]
[name_f]Neriah[/name_f]
[name_m]Areli[/name_m]
[name_m]Jeriah[/name_m]
[name_m]Seraiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Jarah[/name_m]
[name_m]Tekoa[/name_m] nn [name_f]Koko[/name_f]
[name_m]Ephron[/name_m]
[name_m]Judea[/name_m]

1 Like

Not sure how [name_m]Gidon[/name_m] could be a girl’s name. [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] is just [name_f]Shalom[/name_f] in Hebrew and that is used for both boys and girls. [name_m]Sol[/name_m] just means sun, has nothing to do with the Hebrew [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Solomon[/name_m].

[name_m]Plenty[/name_m] of Hebrew names (both Biblical and modern) for girls.

No. [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] is a lovely boys name but not for a girl. There are some unisex names that work, but [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] isn’t one of them.
What about [name_f]Salome[/name_f]? A [name_m]French[/name_m] name meaning peace that is very similar?

No for me. Solomon is not a name that I could ever see being unisex.

Maybe consider other names that could give you the nickname Sol, such as Marisol or Soleil?

Maybe you would like Noa. It is a Hebrew girl’s name that sounds the same as Noah.

No, I can’t see [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] on a girl. First of all, way too much religious significance and history for gender-bending. Personally, I even find it disrespectful.

I also just don’t think it works sound-wise. There are plenty of unisex and female Sol-names or names meaning peace.

1 Like

As a Hebrew speaker, respectfully it makes my eye twitch. [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] really is what came to be the [name_f]English[/name_f] version of [name_m]Shlomo[/name_m] - while the root is [name_f]Shalom[/name_f], meaning peace, [name_m]Shlomo[/name_m] with the O means basically “his peace”, specifically a masculine conjugation. [name_m]Even[/name_m] this aside, I believe [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] is established quite enough as a male name that it does not work as a girl’s name.

[name_m]Sol[/name_m] is great, though completely unrelated. There are plenty of full names following along the “sun” meaning that can include it as a nickname.

On the [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] line, [name_f]Shalom[/name_f] is peace, [name_m]Shloma[/name_m] would be her peace, [name_m]Shlomi[/name_m] is my peace (a known boy name, but technically unisex). There is also the mentioned [name_f]Salome[/name_f], and different conjugations in Arabic, though I cannot quote those with confidence.

1 Like