Solving Naiara’s puzzle

I don’t normally worry about character middle names but this one is actually an important plot point. Help me work out this puzzle!

The character’s first and last name is Naiara Rubio. Her birth middle name was the name of her abusive mother so she changed it after running away. The name she changed it to is after the girl that became her best friend/older sister figure after leaving home (she was also [name_f]Naiara[/name_f]’s first love/crush).

When I started this story a few years ago, this girl’s name was [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. Thus, [name_f]Naiara[/name_f]’s full name became [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] Rubio. However, since coming back to this story, I’ve grown to think of this girl as [name_f]Elle[/name_f] because it feels more delicate yet badass and also more distinctive.

It’s perfect… except [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] [name_f]Elle[/name_f] Rubio doesn’t have the same ring as [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] Rubio.

I have a few options:

1. Just screw with flow and use [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] [name_f]Elle[/name_f] Rubio as it is

2. Keep [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] Rubio and incorporate [name_f]Jane[/name_f] into [name_f]Elle[/name_f]’s name. [name_f]Elle[/name_f] chose her name herself but [name_f]Elle[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] doesn’t have a great flow either and I feel like [name_f]Elle[/name_f] would want her name to be perfect. I can imagine [name_f]Elle[/name_f] taking time to choose a longer full name, a process which she would’ve included [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] in. Perhaps I can find an [name_f]El[/name_f]- name so her full name would be [name_f]El[/name_f]- [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Kingsley[/name_u] “[name_f]Elle[/name_f]”. (This is where the puzzle comes in!)

3. Similarly to 2, I can come up with a full name for [name_f]Elle[/name_f] and use [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] [name_f]El[/name_f]- Rubio

4. Choose a new middle name that goes with both [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] __ Rubio and [name_f]Elle[/name_f] __ [name_u]Kingsley[/name_u]

What do you think? I’ll greatly appreciate anyone just willing to talk through this puzzle with me haha!

Eliana fits. [name_f]Janelle[/name_f] combines the two.

1 Like

Eliana is my sister’s name so I can’t use that. [name_f]Janelle[/name_f] just doesn’t fit with the story or the character. It feels 80s and the story is set in a fantasy-medieval world. People did suggest that when I was torn between [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Elle[/name_f] though.

I’m not really sure what sort of [name_f]El[/name_f]- name I’d go for if I made [name_f]Elle[/name_f] a nickname.

I vote for 2!

Any name that has ‘[name_f]El[/name_f]’ in it would have the potential to be [name_f]Elle[/name_f], so you don’t have to choose a name that starts with [name_f]El[/name_f] (e.g: Melissa, melanie)

If you want a name that starts with [name_f]El[/name_f] I have: [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] (I feel like [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] is more fantasy than [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], but both and any other variation works!), Elysie, and [name_f]Elaina[/name_f] (Too close?)

Or maybe something from this: https://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/el

1 Like

Thank you! You’re right about there being so many full name options for [name_f]Elle[/name_f]. It’s hard because there’s so many and the character can be quite indecisive! I’ll have to think about those options.

I don’t mind [name_f]Elaina[/name_f] (I’d probably spell it [name_f]Elena[/name_f] to fit the story), I just don’t wanna use my sister’s exact name. If I excluded every name similar to my close friends and family, that would make the naming process unnecessarily difficult lol.

1 Like

I like [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] [name_f]Elena[/name_f] Rubio.

Even [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] might work?

1 Like

Personally I think [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] [name_f]Elle[/name_f] Rubio sounds fine. In real life, people’s names don’t flow perfectly, and the idea is she named herself it so it’s unlikely it would flow perfect, right?

Alternatively, I like the idea of giving the second girl a longer version of [name_f]Elle[/name_f] as her full name. For example, [name_f]Brielle[/name_f], [name_f]Noelle[/name_f], [name_f]Rochelle[/name_f], Louelle?

1 Like

@caramel107 thank you! [name_f]Elena[/name_f] is definitely an option. I like the flow of [name_u]Louise[/name_u] but I don’t think there’s enough connection.

@augustkip8 you’re right about flow in real life! I guess what bothers me about [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] [name_f]Elle[/name_f] Rubio is that it sounds like [name_f]Naiara[/name_f] L. Rubio, like it’s an initial instead of a name. Although, I’m beginning to appreciate that there may not be a perfect answer to this puzzle that will satisfy the writer and name nerd side of me lol! Thank you!

1 Like

Oooooh even [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] may work?

1 Like