❗ Some Changes to Forums Categories

I would also be willing to help, if you needed another person!

1 Like

As much as I’ll miss everything but names, I do understand that it didn’t take NB the desired direction

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

I agree with the removal of the sibling names category - it seems redundant.

The removal of the Everything But Names category is surprising to me because it’s been around for as long as I can remember, but I haven’t been very active on the forums recently and I didn’t realise there were such challenges with it in terms of moderation.

1 Like

Sounds like useful changes! Some of the Everything but names topics were super weird lol…

11 Likes

Update on this: having discussed it with the team and looked through what kind of posts are in #sibling-names, we’re going to bring over the majority of those topics into the new Name Advice category.

The few we will move elsewhere will be recently active topics like “Sibset of the Day” and “What Would You Name AABB Quads?” – those feel more appropriate for [name_m]General[/name_m] Name Discussion. These will simply be moved across manually once the new categories are set up.

TL;DR: Posts currently in #sibling-names will still be visible and searchable after the changes; they’ll just come under a different heading.

I hope that’s good news and thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!

7 Likes

That is good news thank you! Though likely mostly redundant and pointless the Siblings category seemed like a good place for those of us who went Team [name_u]Green[/name_u] to get naming advice. [name_f]Thankful[/name_f] to know that these posts have been reconsidered and given a place in the new layout!

1 Like

I’m thrilled these posts will have a new home! Thank you to the team for revisiting the plan for #sibling-names.

2 Likes

Thank you so much to all the moderators for all your hard work, these changes sound really good and what’s best for the site.

2 Likes

[name_f]Emma[/name_f], it’s been a very long time since I’ve spent continuous time on nameberry, I usually pop in every couple of months to ask a name question or two at most, but would the messaging system in a way allow for some of the community building that was taking place on Everything but Names? [name_m]Just[/name_m] thinking of my time over the past couple years with Covid and everything using Teams at work and the ability to create group chats as well as one-on-one messaging. It appears this may be already available in the messaging side of Nameberry, but again, it’s been so long and I haven’t really had to utilize that feature in months if not years. Most of my berry friends I communicate directly with through social media but for those who still spend a significant amount of time on Nameberry, especially in threads like Teenberries and such, I’m wondering if that might be a good avenue, if the site allows for that many users to be added to a group messaging option.

[name_u]Or[/name_u] even a private group option like Facebook and other options have, for potential groups surrounding interests/demographics/identity/even religion, etc… I realize running Nameberry is a complex thing and am certainly not trying to make anyone’s life more difficult or make it harder to be on the look out for trouble or cyber abuse. I came for the names but stayed for the community, and was mainly just wondering if any thought had been given to ways to continue that community even without Everything but Names. I understand the focus to get back to names and certainly sympathize if there’s been trouble with arguments in the forums and such - but the community and the people was what I always loved about Nameberry, and I would hate to see that lost for those who may enjoy this site in the future. :heart: (Not that community doesn’t exist outside of Everything but Names - but I certainly think it helped to foster it!) [name_m]Just[/name_m] some random thoughts of an old berry that popped back in at a coincidental time. :smiley:

3 Likes

Last question, promise! :blush: Where might a topic such as my [name_m]History[/name_m] of Nicknames or one similar to that effect be categorized? It is in the baby names section, so I am wondering if it will be lost or put into general name discussion. TIA!

When exactly is this happening?

1 Like

I will miss everything but names. I enjoyed writing about current excitements in my life and reading about others. I understand the reasoning behind these changes, but I do think that forum allowed people of all different ages and types to connect in a way that was not name-based and added something to the mix. We are such a bubble society - teens know teens, middle-aged people know middle-aged, one political party knows its own party, etc. that when there are ways for us to come together at a more personal level, it is a gift.

4 Likes

This is such a lovely way of putting it :heart: You have been (and continue to be) such an important member of the Nameberry community, Ash. I really hope that sense of community will prevail even without Everything But Names. Thanks to all of our wonderful members, Nameberry has a different feel to many other name forums out there and we absolutely intend to keep that going.

Your suggestions for other ways to continue the non-name community building are good ones, thanks! Private messages on Nameberry are capped at 25 replies per thread. This is because we have many younger members and we do not feel comfortable hosting long chat threads out of sight of the moderation team.

But I believe a (non-official) Berry Discord server has already been set up! And I’m glad to hear you’ve made some lasting connections on social media as well.

That will go into the new General Name Discussion category :slight_smile:

Next weekend is the plan. I can’t give a precise date as I don’t know exactly how long it will take to implement all the changes. But not before end of Friday EST.

Absolutely :heart: “Bubble society” is beautifully put. I hope that Nameberry will continue to feel like a place where we can all come together, even without Everything But Names.

5 Likes

I love this! When adults are asking about name changes for themselves they tend to be good sports about posting in the baby name section, but name advice encapsulates what is really happening, and will hopefully let people in these situations know they are absolutely in the right place :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: thanks for your thoughtful work!

4 Likes

[name_u]Love[/name_u] this! :clap: I agree the Everything But category should go - its become so spammy and obscure. Great work, team! Excited for the update!

4 Likes

This is my last question I swear :sweat_smile: but how long will the changes take? [name_u]Will[/name_u] the servers be down for this for a couple of hours or is it something that’s done in a couple of minutes?

1 Like

I’m hoping it will be pretty quick! We’re looking at Sunday now. All being well it should only take a few minutes, but that’s assuming no unforeseen hiccups.

1 Like

Really glad to see the Everything But Names section go. I found it really corny! [name_m]Brilliant[/name_m] changes to refocus back on names. :partying_face:

3 Likes

Ok I know no one is really taking suggestions but I have one :joy: It would be nice to have a [name_u]Poll[/name_u] category. The Quick [name_u]Poll[/name_u] thread is so unwieldy and long. [name_u]Or[/name_u] if anyone has any suggestions for having polls be more manageable?

3 Likes

Hm, this is an interesting suggestion! Possibly a subcategory somewhere? Although I think the Quick Poll Thread is useful for polls where little feedback is required beyond the vote, and for people to scroll through and participate without having to navigate into and out of lots of separate topics.

7 Likes