Some questions about favorite names!l

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone! I have some questions about several of my favorite names that I am wondering if you could help me out with please!

1. Sadly, I am questioning using [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] again.:pensive: Not because I no longer adore it, but because of the way it would likely be pronounced most often in my area. The a would basically be dropped, and it would become “Sun-dy”. While I don’t mind [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] being pronounced that way when utilized as a day of the week at all, I hesitate when thinking of using it as a name. It’s relatively easy to pronounce because it is so well known. [name_f]My[/name_f] worry is that she’d have to constantly correct the pronunciation in this area. What should I do? Would you throw out [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] in this situation?
  2. Should I use all vintage spunk names for girls and something like [name_u]Brooks[/name_u] or Sheperd for boys?
  3. [name_m]Can[/name_m] you think of a name similar to [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] that I could fall in love with just as much? Having a hard time thinking of one. I love the subtle [name_u]Christian[/name_u] connection between [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Sunday[/name_f]! The only one I’ve thought of is [name_f]Selah[/name_f]! And while I LOVE it, I’m not sure I am on board with the similarities between the endings quite yet!
  4. Yesterday, I saw the name [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] and thought it was beautiful! What do you think? I feel like [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is so classic that it can work with lots of different types of middle names.
  5. Any other suggestions for names, either vintage or guilty pleasure? (Like Sunday).

Any feedback you can offer, good and bad, is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!

:blossom::butterfly:

1 Like
  1. I don’t think it would be a problem, if you’re comfortable with correcting people all the time, but I still don’t think the pronunciation makes a huge difference.

2. Brooks or Shepherd would be lovely with Sunday. It depends on name-to-name, but in most cases I think you’d be fine with using a spunky vintage name.

3. Wednesday, Holiday, Sonnet, Matilda, Peace, Naomi, Story, Eden, Haven, Glory, Scout, Judith, Lydia, Tuesday, Shiloh, Ivy, Willow, Delilah, Claudia, Phoebe, Sarai, Tabitha, Halo, Cecilia, Seraphina, Rosemary, Noa

4. Audrey Hope is pretty! As you said, Audrey can be used with different middles and is a classic.

1 Like

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] is pretty. I love [name_f]Hope[/name_f] too.

[name_f]Sunday[/name_f] is cute, but the sunday roast thing has always bothered me a bit.

[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]
[name_u]Sunny[/name_u]
[name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] - maybe the problem is the same in your area, but I actually really love this
[name_f]Aura[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Autumn[/name_f]
[name_u]Skye[/name_u]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Summer[/name_f]
[name_f]Mercy[/name_f]

1 Like

I also live in a place where people sometimes use the ‘sun-dee’ pronunciation for the day of the week in casual conversation, but I sort of doubt that people would use it for someone’s name. I think most people know the standard pronunciation is ‘sun-day’ and use the other pronunciation almost as slang.

I think something like Brooks or Sheperd/Shepherd would work well with Eliza and Sunday.

Evangeline, Grace, Hope, Dorothy, Shiloh, Joy, Lois, Magdalene, Charity, Salem, Galilee, Glory, Jubilee, Merrily

Audrey Hope is lovely!

Clementine, Mabel, Abigail, Annabelle, Alma, Luella, Susanna, Eulalie, Celie / Celia, Ada, Lydia, Esther, Felicity, Constance, Priscilla, Blythe, Petra, Angelica

1 Like

@AStudyIn_Scarlet Thank you so much for this! I should add that while it wouldn’t bother me to correct the pronunciation of the name, I also feel that it is important to think about whether or not it would be an annoyance for her as she grows up. :smiling_face: Thank you for giving me more confidence about the pronunciation. It is something to think about!
Of your suggestions, I love:
[name_u]Scout[/name_u]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] (likely as a middle!!)
[name_u]Story[/name_u] and [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] (but not sure if I’m cool enough to use either! :joy:)
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_u]Ivy[/name_u]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarai[/name_f] (I always forget about this one!)

I have so much to think about, thank you again!

:butterfly::white_heart:

1 Like

@Mayblossom Thank you so much! I absolutely get what you mean with the [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] roast thing, I think that’s starting to bother me too! [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] is so pretty. :smiling_face: I also like [name_f]Summer[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]!

Thank you again!

@VEL Thank you so much! I absolutely agree that one pronunciation of [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] is used more casually, and that people know the standard one. I hadn’t thought of that until you brought it up, so thank you! [name_f]My[/name_f] thought here was that they are used interchangeably at times. I really love the name [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]! I went to school with someone named [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] who went by [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], and I thought it was an incredible name. I loved the full name and the nickname. I thought her name was just [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] for the longest time, until I started hearing people call her [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]. I also love [name_f]Ada[/name_f] and [name_f]Felicity[/name_f].

Thank you again!

1 Like
  1. That’s a tricky one. Is there a possibility that given it’s a name, people would be more likely to emphasise all the sounds than they would when casually throwing around the day of the week? Could you get used to Sun-dy? Are you planning on staying in that area for the forseeable? Perhaps share a [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] combo with some local people you trust and see how they’d pronounce it when presented it as a name, rather than just a day (ie. ask *how would you say [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] Clara/Sunday Amelie/Sunday [name_f]Amalia[/name_f]? etc and see if they still drop the AY)
  1. If the spunky vintage girls speak to you the most, go for it. If [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] and [name_u]Brooks[/name_u] are your faves then use them. For me, I kind of like an unexpected sibset, so long as there’s not a huge, huge disparity in popularity (I think that might be personal, in that it irks me that my brother’s name is less common than mine and his middle is rare whereas mine is popular), and I’d rather see someone use the names they love, sound distinctive enough from one another etc

2. Some names that give me the vibes of [name_f]Sunday[/name_f]: [name_u]Dove[/name_u], [name_f]Carys[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_u]Seren[/name_u], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_u]Jubilee[/name_u], [name_f]Gloria[/name_f], [name_f]Constance[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_f]Merrily[/name_f], [name_f]Melody[/name_f], [name_u]Harmony[/name_u]

3. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] is lovely - warm, hopeful, cosy and sparky at the same time

4. Based on [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] and [name_f]Selah[/name_f]: [name_f]Sarai[/name_f], [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f], [name_f]Bloom[/name_f], [name_u]Journey[/name_u], [name_u]Harvest[/name_u], [name_u]Honor[/name_u], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Opal[/name_f], [name_f]Luella[/name_f], [name_f]Lula[/name_f], [name_f]Lisbeth[/name_f], [name_f]Nadia[/name_f], [name_u]Florence[/name_u], [name_f]Angelina[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f], [name_f]Goldie[/name_f], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Emmaline[/name_f], [name_f]Maren[/name_f]

1 Like

@Greyblue Thank you so much! I’m definitely leaning toward the vinegar spunk at this point. You make some great points and suggestions about [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], thank you! Of your suggestions for similar names to [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], I love:

[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Carys[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]

In the vein of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], + [name_f]Selah[/name_f], my favorites are:

[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] (I may have to shorten this one to [name_f]Evie[/name_f] though! I LOVE both, but there’s something about [name_f]Evie[/name_f] as the full name that is so strong, special, sweet, and spunky to me. :heart_eyes::face_holding_back_tears:)
[name_f]Lula[/name_f]
[name_f]Goldie[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmaline[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]

I agree, I love a good unexpected, mismatched sibset, as long as the differences aren’t too drastic!

Thank you again!!

1 Like

I really like the name [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] and I’d only worry about [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] Roast if you used (as [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] Kidman did) the middle name [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. But if the pronunciation is going to be off, definitely reason to reconsider!

Other subtle [name_u]Christian[/name_u] names you might like that go well with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]: [name_f]Faith[/name_f], [name_f]Verity[/name_f], [name_f]Bethel[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Emmanuella[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] (except both also E), [name_f]Mary[/name_f] (I love Mary), [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] (a fave too!), [name_f]Naomi[/name_f], [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f], [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] “Kitty”, [name_u]Anne[/name_u], [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_u]Cleo[/name_u], [name_f]Salome[/name_f], [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], [name_f]Loretta[/name_f], Sarea, [name_f]Natalie[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Veronica[/name_f], [name_u]Celeste[/name_u] and [name_f]Faye[/name_f].

Others like [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]: [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] (yes!), [name_u]Zoe[/name_u], [name_f]Opal[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Fleur[/name_f], [name_f]Jemima[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] (thoughI don’t love Beatrice), [name_u]Camille[/name_u], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f], [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], [name_f]Gigi[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Nina[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Ursula[/name_f], [name_f]Zara[/name_f], [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], [name_f]Yasmin[/name_f] and [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps! :dizzy:

1 Like

@EloiseT Thank you so much! I love [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] so much, and I think I always will, but this whole pronunciation thing just makes me unsure.

Of your suggestions for subtle [name_u]Christian[/name_u] names, I love:
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Evie[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] (probably as a middle!)

For names similar to [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] I love:
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] (:heart_eyes::face_holding_back_tears:)
[name_u]Zoe[/name_u] and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] I *really *wish I could use these, but both are the names of close friends, so they just don’t work. :pensive: [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] is growing on me, though I probably couldn’t get away with it easily since it rhymes with [name_u]Zoe[/name_u]. I know too many Lydias to feel comfortable using the name, but I do love it!
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] (:heart_eyes:)

Thank you again!

[name_f]My[/name_f] thoughts

1. Personally I do not think this pronunciation issue is a major concern and it’s such a small pronunciation mishap which is easily correctable. I also feel that people (tend if they are respectful) put more effort into pronouncing names in comparison to just casual things like days of the week. I knew a girl (yes your are going to swoon) called E1iza Tuesd@y (she was very cool) and even though where I am people drop the letter T all the time there was a real emphasis on the T in Tuesd@y when it came to her rather fabulous name. This issue would not be enough for me to dismiss [name_f]Sunday[/name_f].

2. I think sibling sets are really over thought the reality is it’s an absolute privilege to name a child so instead of focusing on cohesiveness choose names you truly love. However in the world of name nerd I think using spunky vintage names for girls work perfectly with the likes of [name_u]Brooks[/name_u] + [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m].

3. I can see the berries have delivered yet again with so many fab suggestions so please count any repeats as me being in agreement with the berries anyways here goes some of my suggestions…

[name_f]Galilee[/name_f]
[name_u]Abilene[/name_u]
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Beulah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Wednesday[/name_f]
[name_f]Holiday[/name_f]
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
[name_u]Blessing[/name_u]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f]
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_u]Jubilee[/name_u]
[name_u]Blythe[/name_u]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Allegra[/name_f]
[name_f]Jemima[/name_f] (is dependant on where you live on her suitability)
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Faith[/name_f]

1. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] is beautiful absolutely stunning!

2. Final last ditch to provide you some other lovely names you may love

[name_f]Trinity[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_u]Truly[/name_u]
[name_f]Amabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Christabel[/name_f]
[name_u]Honor[/name_u]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

1 Like

@tori101 Thank you so much! It is so helpful to know that you have known a girl with a day-of-the week-middle name! And on top of that, the first name was Eliz@! You’re right, my heart is so happy right now!

This almost makes me cry when I think about it. Again, you are absolutely right. :face_holding_back_tears::white_heart:

I absolutely LOVE Allegra and Evangeline (and Evie!!) Dahlia is so sweet too!!

Thank you again for helping me to feel better about Sunday!

1 Like

As a middle name like with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] I don’t think the pronunciation issues for [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] are a big deal unless it will be used as a double name where she’s called the full “Eliza Sunday” by everyone. If it’s a part of her name that will be said by everyone she meets then I would hesitate to use it in an area where most people’s default pronunciation of the word is different.

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] is a nice combo.

1 Like

@sammaegre Thank you so much for this! I do love the name [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f]! :heart: Originally, I thought if I used [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], it would be as a sister to [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] rather than a first and middle name or a double name for one little girl. As you said, this is why I’m hesitant now. You have given me a new idea to combine the two names though.

Thank you again!

1 Like
  1. No, I wouldn’t throw out [name_f]Sunday[/name_f]! The difference in pronunciation doesn’t bother me much nor seem too wild.

2. Use anything you love!

3. I adore [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Selah[/name_f] together, wow. :heart_eyes: They are sublime! Perhaps you’d also like
    [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f], [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] [name_f]Salome[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], or [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] (which could have sweet [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] as a nickname)!

4. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] is delightful! A little less unique than others, but no less lovely.

5. Most, if not all, of these make an appearache in the Bible! Some more ideas similar to [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] I have are [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] / [name_f]Sunshine[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f], [name_u]Blessing[/name_u], [name_f]Summer[/name_f], [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] (meaning “holy day”), [name_f]Easter[/name_f] / [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Hope[/name_f] (as the FN), [name_u]Agrippa[/name_u], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] (adore this with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] especially!), [name_f]Charity[/name_f], [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], [name_u]Genesis[/name_u], [name_u]Ariel[/name_u], [name_f]Galilee[/name_f], [name_u]Salem[/name_u], Pious, [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f], [name_f]Adah[/name_f], [name_f]Beulah[/name_f], [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f], [name_u]Dove[/name_u], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] / [name_f]Talitha[/name_f], [name_f]Zillah[/name_f], [name_f]Honey[/name_f], [name_f]Merrily[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Sarai[/name_f], and [name_f]Syntyche[/name_f]!

1 Like

I have a difficult name for 99% of the people and I have to correct people, but I really don’t mind! :blush:
Don’t throw it out :sunflower: [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is very very pretty! In the same vibe with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] (and not cause [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] Hepburn played [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] Doolittle )

1 Like

@snowmaiden Thank you so much! I love [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Selah[/name_f] together too! :smiling_face: I think the berries have convinced me not to rule [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] out quite yet. I absolutely love [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]! Would probably shorten it to [name_f]Evie[/name_f]. :heart_eyes::face_holding_back_tears: I love your suggestion of [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] so much! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it’s problematic that it has a similar ending to my last name? I love so many names that do but always hesitate when I realize it may sound strange. [name_f]My[/name_f] grandfather was able to pull off something similar with his name. I always thought his name was cool! (The similarities are at the beginning of his name and the end of our last name.) [name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought I’ve had.

Thank you again!

1 Like

Not at all! One of my absolute favorite names for a sweet little girl is Vision, which shares a similar ending with my own surname, but I don’t mind because I love it so dearly. :smiling_face: I think it’s all fine!

1 Like

@Parfait_de_Roses This is good to know, thank you so much! I absolutely love the vibe of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] together. :smiling_face: I do LOVE [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] Hepburn, but I don’t think I fell in love with the name because of her necessarily. I think it just sort of happened, to be honest. :joy:

Thank you again!

1 Like