Some questions about these names

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all! Sorry for all the posts recently, I’m just having fun! I’ve been thinking about double names that include [name_f]Kate[/name_f] again and I have some questions! I will write those out first, then add the potential names at the bottom.

1. I’m falling in love with the name [name_f]Molly[/name_f] again. I think my problem before was that it feels a little too plain by itself, even though I LOVE classic names! Thoughts?
  2. [name_u]Honest[/name_u] opinions please—Is [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] still a better name for me than [name_f]Molly[/name_f], even if I turn it into a double name in the future? (You will NOT offend me!)
  3. Hyphen or no hyphen for double names? I see the benefits and drawbacks of each. I have two middle names and I only use one legally. I think it would be fun to give a future daughter two, but that would probably be less confusing with a hyphen. Additional middle or not?
  4. If one potential child’s name is a double name, does that mean I am stuck using them?

Potential Names:
Eliza-Kate
Molly-Kate
Anna-Kate
Lucy-Kate
Audrey-Kate
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] (too long to hyphenate!)
Josie-Kate
Sarah-Kate (I am liking this right now! [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] works beautifully for other people and I love it on them, but I feel it would only work for me as a double name. Should I eliminate it for this reason?)
Sophia-Kate

Bonus if you can help me come up with other names entirely or alternate second names. I’d appreciate any and all feedback, thank you all so much!! :butterfly::white_heart:

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! I’m not the hugest fan of double-barrels, as I find that the person just ends up getting called which ever names comes first before the hyphen.

1. [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is okay, I don’t love it with [name_f]Kate[/name_f].
  2. Yes [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is better than [name_f]Molly[/name_f], even with a double barrel
  3. I don’t like the look of the hyphen, but without it I think people would just mistake the second name as a middle, instead of as one name with the hyphen.
  4. No, I don’t think all the children need to have a double barrel.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite out your list is Sarah-Kate by far. :heart:

2 Likes

I think Molly-Kate flows so well and it sounds the cutest, buuut I prefer Eliza as a name. So my favourite is Eliza-Kate :blush:

I think life is easier without the hyphen, because I think you just have more options. For example I don’t love how Sarah-Kate Eliza looks, but without the double barrel it would look fine.

Then again, now that I think about it - of my sisters has it (edited: she just has two names, so just a double barrel name) and it’s stunning and cute and people do call her often with both names while they leave my middle out. :face_with_monocle: So maybe double barrel actually makes your middle more like a part of your name…

I’m kinda like… some names sound so lovely together, they are such perfect match. But if I don’t absolutely adore that name alone, I wouldn’t even consider it. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Edited: I answered in such a random order :joy:

2 Likes
  1. [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is warm and sweet, sturdy but friendly. I don’t love Molly-Kate but I don’t hate it.

2. I do prefer [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]. It has spark, sharpness and flair, while also feeling classic.

3. If you want her and others to use both on a daily basis, I would hyphen. I’d do [name]-[name] [middle name]. Still, I’d check if hyphens in names would cause problems with paperwork where you are.

4. No, I don’t think so

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are:

Eliza-Kate
Lucy-Kate
Audrey-Kate
Sarah-Kate

A few other first suggestions:

Mina-Kate
Phoebe-Kate
Ivy-Kate
Sophie-Kate
Nancy-Kate

A few second name:

Molly-Anne
Anna-Rose
Josie-Wren
Sophia-Maeve

1 Like
  1. Sorry, [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is one of my least favorite names of all time - obviously, lots of people love it! But I am not one of them. I’ve also known some Mollys I’m not the hugest fan of, so that hasn’t improved my image of her over time. She seems both cutesy and frumpy to me, sorry! And a double-barrel doesn’t improve it for me.
  2. 100%! I adore [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] haha. She’s on the TOTAL opposite end of the spectrum - [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is one of my favorite names of all time! I love Eliza-Kate! I haven’t seen your prior posts - are you committed to [name_f]Kate[/name_f]? I think there could be some other really sweet double barrels like Eliza-Wren, Eliza-Snow, Eliza-Joy, Eliza-Fleur?
  3. I could go either way. I love [name_f]Ella[/name_f] Kate/Ella [name_u]Snow[/name_u] and [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] Roo without but I prefer Anna-Kate and Anne-Claire/Anne-Louise with! It 100% depends on the combo for me, but subconsciously I feel like hyphens are easier to make it clear it’s a double barrel.
  4. Not at all! In fact, I find it too matchy if an entire sibset is all double barrels.

Eliza-Kate and Anna-Kate are my favorites from your list for sure, but Josie-Kate is sweet and ooooh, I love Sophia-Kate too! So beautiful and somehow feels glamorous in an old Hollywood way. I also like Audrey-Kate quite a bit; I’m a huge fan of [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], but prefer her as a standalone. Lucy-Kate is nice too but I think I like Lucia-Kate more myself.

Good luck!

1 Like
  1. Not personally a fan of [name_f]Molly[/name_f], but there’s nothing wrong with it. I defs don’t see it as a classic though.

2. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is lovely, definitely more classic, less juvenile, and more refined. The reason I didn’t use [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] myself was because I really dislike [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] and was scared it would get shortened to that. If you like [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] then this isn’t a worry.

3. I’d generally go hyphen for double names as otherwise, written down, it just looks like a first name and a middle or a first and two middles. Definitely hyphenate if you’re giving a middle name also (I have a child with this configuration - hyphenated double first name and a middle).

4. Definitely not, in fact I think it’s better not to. I only have one child of four with a double name. It definitely seems to be more of a feminine thing, I don’t think boys names lend themselves well to this in general, I think it’s the harder, less lilting sounds. One of my two girls has a double name and their names are lovely together - there’s definitely such a thing as too much and I think this would be the case with more than one double name in a family. [name_f]Imo[/name_f], if you gave 2 children them then you’d feel stuck in a pattern as the third would be the odd one out. So one is best, imo.

Eliza-Kate, Anna-Kate and Sarah-Kate are my favourites from your list. I think Sarah-Kate actually works particularly well because of Sarah-Jane being a very established double name combo.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] to add some advice from my experience as a parent of a child with a double name - I only hyphenated the name because I wanted the second part of the name to be ‘visible’, not ‘hidden’ like a middle name. I just wanted people to know it was there but I didn’t expect to hear the full name very often, and I don’t. As another pp said, my child just gets called the first part of the name by basically everyone. I think you have to expect this - people shorten even one name to a diminutive, so it’s definitely going to happen with two. I call her mainly by the second part but that’s our own little personal mother and daughter thing. But my point is she extremely rarely gets the full thing. I think you have more of a chance with a combo that really rolls off the tongue and is musical to say or an established one like Sarah-Jane, but there are no guarantees so i think if you can’t accept this I’d think again or face a lifetime of disappointment. And definitely use names you’d love individually in their own right, particularly the first name for this reason - if that’s all she gets called you need to adore it on it’s own, not rely on the second part to elevate it to something you love, in case it’s very rarely said in its entirety.

1 Like

@carrington Thank you so much! I’m so sorry for that I’m just now replying! Yesterday got away from me. :blush: I don’t like the look of the hyphen much either.and I agree that she would have more options without it. Another thought I had is just calling her by both names all the time and introducing her that way? The person I know with a name like this has her name combined without a hyphen. The first part is capitalized and the second part is not. I think that’s an option too. Sarah-Kate is so pretty! Thank you again! :heart:

@Parfait_de_Roses Thank you so much!! Your order is great, I understood what you meant, please don’t worry! You are right about loving both parts of a name all the time, I had not thought of it that way! I think I also still prefer [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] to [name_f]Molly[/name_f], even though [name_f]Molly[/name_f] is growing on me. Thank you again! :blossom:🩷

@Greyblue Thank you so much! I’m thinking Eliza-Kate and Audrey-Kate are my favorites of my own list (Madeline gos with them beautifully!) Why do I keep questioning this?! :joy: I love your suggestions of Phoebe-Kate, Ivy-Kate, and Sophie-Kate. Mina-Kate is also so sweet and unexpected! I’m really questioning the hyphen. I may just do first and middle so she has more options as she grows up. [name_f]My[/name_f] second middle name is my mom’s maiden name, and I don’t use it often. That’s always an option too! Thank you again! :smiling_face::blossom:

1 Like

@ashthedreamer Thank you so much for all your feedback! And please don’t feel badly for disliking [name_f]Molly[/name_f]. I love this forum because we can respectfully disagree at times, but still come together and have fun discussions about names. And offer each other support. I love to learn about why someone feels the way they do about names, whether I agree or not. So please don’t worry!
No, I’m not committed to using [name_f]Kate[/name_f], I just think it’s very sweet and it goes with so many names beautifully. I think I am committed to [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] though! If I use this, my future daughter would be at least the third generation of my mom’s side of our family to have [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] in her name! [name_f]My[/name_f] late grandmother, who has been gone for a little over two years, my aunt, and I have it now. We have the full name [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] as our middle name, not any derivatives. I know some think it’s strange to use a form of your own middle name for a child, but I would be naming her after my grandma, who was one of the most important people in my life. She taught me so much about life, faith, and how to love others. I know that’s very sappy, but that’s why it’s so important to me to name a daughter after her. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f]? I like the the derivative [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] because it is unique to give her something that is her own, while still honoring tradition. Sorry for the long explanation!
I agree that the hyphen depends on the name! And I really like [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] together as sisters, even though I usually prefer different endings. I also love [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] as a stand-alone more. I wouldn’t use two names beginning with the same letter or the same middle name for children.

Thank you again for your help thinking this through! :white_heart::butterfly:

@Lula-Rose Thank you so much for this! Does your daughter like having a double name? Another concern I have is that she may not like her name. I’d want to give her options, as I know so many people who dislike theirs. And I LOVE that you call your daughter by the second part of her name and that it’s a special thing between the two of you! :face_holding_back_tears::heart: I’m not committed to a double name, I just think they are sweet and fun! The person I know with a double name does not have a hyphen in hers. They are combined as one. The first part is capitalized and the second is not. So everyone calls her by the full name all the time. In her case it may have been very confusing if the name was hyphenated at the second part was dropped. I don’t have any expectation that the full name would be used at all times without being shortened. After reading about your experience and thinking more, I think I may just do a first and middle name. Thank you again for sharing your experience, I really appreciate it! :butterfly::yellow_heart:

1 Like