Some Questions To Ponder

I would like some answers to these questions:
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]-- Is it pronounced [name_f]Callie[/name_f]-oh-pee or Cuh-lie-oh-pee. I’ve always heard it as the former and then a few days ago the kid I was a babysitting was watching TV and they pronounced it as the latter. The pronunciations online also get contradictory. Which do you pronounce it as?

Beezus- I really like the nickname, but can’t find any full names for it. I don’t like [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] or [name_f]Beatriz[/name_f], and while I wish I could (lots of literary references I could think of) I personally can’t stand the name [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. I also don’t like [name_f]Bee[/name_f] or [name_f]Bea[/name_f]. The only name I’ve been able to find so far is Beatrycze, which is too out there where I live.

[name_f]Esmeranda[/name_f]- Smoosh name of [name_f]Esme[/name_f] and [name_f]Miranda[/name_f]. I think it’s a little cute, maybe because [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f], [name_f]Esme[/name_f], and [name_f]Esperanza[/name_f] are all old loves I’ve stopped liking while [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] (though always there) has moved up my list a lot recently. But is it usable?

[name_f]Solveig[/name_f]- I think this name is intriguing but I’ve heard the pronunciations of [name_m]Sol[/name_m]-vey and [name_m]Sol[/name_m]-vie and one that’s kind of like [name_m]Sol[/name_m]-vey-gk. I’m leaning towards the last one being right.

Halldora- I’ve heard [name_m]Hal[/name_m]-dora in one video but the pronunciation videos with Icelandic accents make it sound like Halte-dora.

[name_f]Calliope[/name_f] is pronounced cuh-lie-oh-pee.

As for “Beezus”: Berezi, Bozhena, [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], Elizabeta, Erzsébet, [name_f]Fabrizia[/name_f], [name_f]Hephzibah[/name_f], [name_f]Izabel[/name_f]/[name_f]Izabella[/name_f]/[name_f]Izabela[/name_f], Rozabela, [name_f]Zaynab[/name_f], [name_f]Zenobia[/name_f], Zibiah.

1. Cull-lie-oh-pee is the only one I’ve ever heard.
  2. since Beezus is a fictional nn for [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], idk what other possibilities are out there.
  3. [name_f]Esmeranda[/name_f] is usable but a bit frilly.
  4. Dunno the pronunciation for [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] or Halldora

I didn’t think about the possibility Erzsébet, though I’ve never quite convinced myself that it works as a first name here. I’d have to think about that one.

Thanks!

1. I’m just going to figure probably is Cull-lie-oh-pee. Thinking about it, [name_u]Calypso[/name_u] also starts with the Cull sound and they have the same Greek origins.
  2. I just don’t like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. I’m not sure if an “unique” spelling might make me like it or if it’s just the pronunciation/name itself, but even with all my love for A Series Of Unfortunate Events, [name_f]Beverly[/name_f] [name_m]Cleary[/name_m]'s Books, and [name_u]Tris[/name_u] [name_m]Prior[/name_m], I still just can’tlike it. I might warm up to [name_f]Beatriz[/name_f] someday, but I’m sill not big on it.

I say Cuh-LIE-oh-pee for [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]. I’ve only heard it once (on The Simpsons), but that’s how it was said.

I’m not sure about Beezus. Maybe you could just go for any name starting with a B and use a Z middle if that’s still too much of a stretch.

I think [name_f]Esmeranda[/name_f] could work. I don’t think [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f] is popular enough that the two would be confused, and it’s certainly different.

I don’t know how [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] is supposed to be said, but when I’ve seen threads about it, [name_m]Sol[/name_m]-vay seems to be most popular.

I would say Halldora as [name_m]Hal[/name_m]-door-uh. But I haven’t a clue how Icelandic pronunciations work.

1. I pr it k ah l ee oh p ee.
  2. Maybe you like [name_f]Beata[/name_f]? You can also use a B first name and a Z second.
  3. I think its usable, though be prepared for a lot of esmeralda confusion.
  4. No idea about the pr of [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] and Halldora. From a quick online search, it seems that [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] is pr SOOL-Vai?

For [name_f]Solveig[/name_f]/Sólveig it depends on the language you are trying to pronounce it in, since the name is used in a number of Nordic countries. I am only familiar with the Icelandic pronunciation, which is kind of like SOUL-vague. I know it is pronounced differently in other countries, though.

Halldóra contains a double l, which will require a bit (or a lot, depending on how good of a mimic you are) of practice if you are a native English speaker. It is kind of like ‘dl’. Honestly I’m not sure if this sound exists in any other language. From my experience listening to foreigners at various stages of learning Icelandic, it is certainly one of the most challenging sounds. Ó is pronounced as in bone so the dóra bit is not like [name_f]Dora[/name_f] in English either.
I just honestly don’t recommend Halldóra as a name unless you are Icelandic or have Icelandic connections.

Thank you! I have noticed with some Nordic names, the pronunciation sounds different in say, Norway vs Denmark. I think SOUL-vay sounds the prettiest, I’ll have to figure out if where/if its pronounced like that.

Thank you! The pronunciations online were either hard to understand or from English speaking natives that I wasn’t sure we’re right. I wouldn’t use it outside of character maybe (and definitely not here in the US), I just thought it looked pretty.

(For the record, I can’t speak Icelandic at all and the closest I am DNA-wise is like 1/6 Swedish.)

2.Oh, B.Z. Would make sense. Maybe a B.Z.S for a double middle.
3. Not completely sure how that would bother me. I love the associations with Anaxandra and the name itself that the name being potentially messed up with [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] doesn’t, but [name_f]Esmeranda[/name_f] is probably made-up and is too new for me to know my feelings about it.

I think Cuh-lie-oh-pee is majority concensus. I’m starting to think that it’s the right one too. Which I’m glad about because personally I find it way prettier this way.

My first thought is [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] [name_f]Zadie[/name_f]/Zaylie with a S name for the last middle.

I’d have to look up the popularity again. I know I did a month ago when I was reconsidering [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f]. I’ve never met one, though.

I saw the same.

Me either. I was still in the process of trying to find different audio clips of the pronunciation of [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] when I saw it. This question wasn’t
even going to be included.

You’ve gotten a lot of input already (love the initials idea for Beezus!), but I wanted to add my two cents on [name_f]Solveig[/name_f]. I use the site forvo.com when trying to explain to people how to pronounce Norwegian names, and I’ve added a pronunciation for [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] previously, which you can listen to here –> Solveig pronunciation: How to pronounce Solveig in Norwegian, French, Swedish, Danish, German
I’m Dearest there as well, and if you hear differences between mine and the other pronunciations there, it’s because dialects influence the intonation and stress of the pronunciation.
You can listen to pronunciations of [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] in other languages as well, Swedish, Danish and Icelandic. And you can listen to the Icelandic pronunciation of Halldóra, which makes the difficulty with the double-L that @jackal mentioned quite obvious…

Thank you so much!

1. I’ve never heard callie-oh-pee, I’ve only heard cuh-lie-oh-pee. That is how the mythological character and musical instrument are pronounced
  2. Agreed that Beezus is a nickname for [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and it was made up by [name_f]Beverly[/name_f] [name_m]Cleary[/name_m] for the “[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]” books. I believe baby sister couldn’t say [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and said “Beezus” instead. I don’t know what else it could be short for…
  3. Never heard of [name_f]Esmeranda[/name_f]. I had to read it twice to realize it wasn’t [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f]. It has a pretty sound but I think you’d get a lot of that confusion.
  4. I met a [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] pronounced like “sole-vigg”

I’m only heard [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] as Cuh-lie-oh-pee, typically, and i believe that’s the traditional greek pronounciation. But then my mailman’s granddaughter is apparently named [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] and they pronounce it [name_u]Cal[/name_u]-ee-ohp, which i think is kinda terrible but, i guess that’s her name.

If you like Beatrycze, how is that pronounced? To me it’s [name_f]Beatriz[/name_f] with even more creative spelling.

I think [name_f]Esmeranda[/name_f] is usable, but it might often get mistaken for [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f]. because it’s longer people may not read the full name and assume they know what it is, I did at first. If you’re ok with that, it’s usable.

I believe [name_f]Solveig[/name_f] is pronounced Solvey in it’s native countries, but in the US or an english speaking country you’re likely to get [name_m]Sol[/name_m]-vey-gk or some version where the g is pronounced.

I have never heard the name Halldora so can’t help you there.

I have to agree, [name_f]Callie[/name_f]-ope sounds terrible, with no offense meant to the girl with the name.

Beatrycze is pronunced like [name_u]Bay[/name_u]-uh-tree-chay. [name_f]Beatriz[/name_f] is probably my favourite out of the other three I mentioned, but it just looks odd to me, same with [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. I’m not sure what my problem with [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is exactly.