Sondre?

I probably won’t use this, because I have no ties to Norway and it’s a Norwegian boy name. But I love the soft sound and the connection to singer/songwriter [name_f]Sondre[/name_f] Lerche.

But what do you think? Would it be weird for an American with no ties to anything European to use [name_f]Sondre[/name_f]? Would the [name_f]Sondre[/name_f] Lerche connection be enough to make this feel more realistic on an American little boy?

I think that it is a great name and has a similar feel to [name_u]Andre[/name_u] or [name_m]Sanders[/name_m]. I wouldn’t balk at meeting a little boy named [name_f]Sondre[/name_f], I would be impressed!

^Thanks!

Anyone else have thoughts on this one?

I’m not really sure how I feel about it–I’m not very familiar with it at all. Is it said like SAHN-drah? The [name_f]Sandra[/name_f] I knew last was pronounced SAHN-drah, so it strikes me as quite feminine, or even a yooneek spelling of [name_f]Sandra[/name_f]… I’ve recently come across the (I believe Dutch!) version of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_u]Sander[/name_u], which sort of has a similar vibe to me, but more timeless and quirky. I like that much more, personally, and I find it much more usable. I’m not too familiar with Scandinavian names, though, but my instinct is to say that it’s not too usable in the US.

I think a lot of people are going to mispronounce it “sawn-dray,” and those types of names tend to carry a certain stigma with them that you may or may not care for.