Songs that speak

Share songs that you feel say something important or have meant something to you :slightly_smiling_face:

Feel free to add quotes, analysis or general commentary. Otherwise, just note down the song and artist.

I’ll start:

Looking too closely by Fink - it’s a little bit angsty but I was actually a little taken aback by the lyrics of this song. I felt they were on a topic that isn’t much spoken about, which is hiding from yourself/ the truth, and potentially even hurting others, because you’re afraid of getting hurt yourself.

1 Like

My [name_m]Way[/name_m] - [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_u]Max[/name_u].
So Am I - [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_u]Max[/name_u]

All [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_u]Max[/name_u] songs are so amazing and empowering but these two stand out to me.

My way shows girls they don’t have to be “ladylike” and conform to society.

In So am I it’s similar to [name_f]My[/name_f] [name_m]Way[/name_m] in that it encourages people to embrace their differences. It shows that, as the song says, “it’s ok to be different cause baby so am i”.

3 Likes

Let it be. - Beatles
[name_m]Just[/name_m] listen to the song and youll see. IT helps me let go and know it’s ok for everything not to be perfect all the time, as I have anxiety and it’s hard to let go.

2 Likes

Vincent by [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Blake[/name_u] (cover - it’s originally by [name_m]Don[/name_m] McClean)

I don’t know why it’s so important to me, but I can literally feel it pumping out of my heart and running through all of my veins when I listen to it (I know that sounds super weird and creepy, but it’s true :joy:).

1 Like

Glitter by [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] Droney

It talks about memories and losing people we love. I love the melody and it makes me pretty emotional. I think he does a great job of making a bitter sweet song about these hard topics.

1 Like

My fav, lesser known choice are the songstresses First Aid [name_u]Kit[/name_u]. “You’re Not Coming Home” was my first introduction to them, and it remains wedged in my memory as a song that livened up my imaginative landscape when I felt dead inside lol

I’d say… “[name_m]Mountain[/name_m] Sound” by Monsters & Men also resonates, rattling my soul in all the best ways!

Then I’ll throw in the [name_m]Tarzan[/name_m] soundtrack and some classics like “[name_f]Hallelujah[/name_f]” and “Sweet [name_f]Virginia[/name_f]” by The Rolling Stones :love_you_gesture:t2:

2 Likes

Wind of change by The Scorpions. It speaks to me on so many levels. It reminds me that change is always possible, on a personal level and for a country, a population, suppressed groups, anyone. [name_f]My[/name_f] SO and I listened to this song all the time before we were in a relationship, when we were just friends, and we still do. And now it reminds us of the change we made by starting a relationship. It feels like our song.

Ára bárur by Sigur Rós. Everything by Sigur Rós resonates with me, because it reminds me of my roots, my childhood and everything I love about Iceland. But this particular song is very close to my heart because it speaks about friendship, not being able to help a friend but still being very close to someone. It also reminds me of a particular person that meant a lot to me.

1 Like

Kings and Queens by [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_u]Max[/name_u] - It’s so empowering!

I’m a Mess by BeBe Rexha - It shows how it’s ok to just love yourself when nobody else loves you.

Hey There [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] - It’s kinda like saying everything will be ok if you push through

1 Like

No Humanity [name_f]Kyla[/name_f] [name_f]Imani[/name_f] It talks about all the bad things in 2020. Really recommend. Also talks about BLM
Battlefield Svrcina It talks about how we don’t need war or violence
Control [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] Wees [name_m]Just[/name_m] hits hard
Happiest Year [name_m]Jaymes[/name_m] [name_m]Young[/name_m] I only knew my friend 1 year before she died so this makes me cry every time i listen.
[name_m]Say[/name_m] it to my face [name_u]Madison[/name_u] Beer If you want to talk bad about someone you need to say it to themselves.
Are you lonely [name_m]Steve[/name_m] [name_m]Aoki[/name_m], [name_m]Alan[/name_m] [name_u]Walker[/name_u], and ISAK It shows that you need to stand by people no matter what

1 Like

It’s hard to narrow down the songs that speak to me :rofl:

I Prevail is my absolute favorite band. Anyone who’s going through some stuff and likes alt/rock/metal, this is the band for you!!

Deceivers:
Is this it? Have I spent a lifetime of regret not knowing what I want, giving up all of my thoughts? But I’ve changed who I am, I’ll start over again. Change my ways, change my life, I’m finally alive.

One More Time:
I know you’re chasing tomorrow, but don’t give up on today. If you keep making excuses, you’ll always stand in your way, when all we have is a moment, with so much left to say. I know you’re chasing tomorrow, but don’t give up on today.

Crossroads:
[name_m]Just[/name_m] hear me out, I know you’re down. When hope looks lost, there’s no one to be found. But I won’t give up on you. You gotta dig deep, and bury all the thoughts. The thoughts that tell you, you’re not good enough. The critics, the cynics, say you’ll never make it. Prove em’ all wrong, they are mistaken. Though you may walk alone, you’re worth more than you know.

I’ll leave it at that, but I have plenty more that I love!

1 Like

Mind over Matter by [name_m]Young[/name_m] the Giant
I think this is my all time favourite song, I’ve been listening to it for years and its just that song im always in the mood to listen to. Its on every single one of my playlists, happy, sad, nostalgic… It even features on my running playlist!

Everywhere at the end of time by The Caretaker
Now, obviously you cant listen to the whole thing at once, its almost six hours long!
But its such beautiful, and sad ambient music. It’s my go to for studying or homework.
Its supposed to portray dementia, and I think this song is just… an experience.
Its familiar, but not, and theres melodies that you almost think you know but you cant quite place. Its wonderful.

Merry Go Round Of Life, a score in ‘Howls moving Castle’
I grew up on Studio Ghibli movies, I loved them more than my Disney princess films!
This song is just… gah I cant even begin to explain how it makes me feel

1 Like