Sophia nn Posy

[name]Hi[/name]!

This is maybe a little bit of a weird question. My little girl (aged 4) is [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Noelani[/name]. She goes by [name]Sophia[/name], but sometimes we call her [name]Sophie[/name]-Bophie or [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Belle[/name] at home. Anyway, I’ve sort of wanted a more transportable nickname for her, and lately I’ve been calling her [name]Posy[/name]. It feels pretty forced at this point, but I think it suits her and once I drew a picture of a posy for her, she approved.

A brief history of me and the name [name]Posy[/name]. I’ve loved it since reading of the character [name]Posy[/name] in the children’s book Ballet Shoes. When I met my husband (many years ago), we started fantasizing about naming a little girl that, but by the time I was pregnant, the name seemed too lightweight (and my brother helpfully pointed out it sounded like “poser”). I’ve never been in love with the name [name]Josephine[/name] (I recognize that it’s a perfectly good name), but–well, obviously–I do adore [name]Sophia[/name], and I even thought when naming her that [name]Posy[/name] could possibly work as a nickname, though I haven’t tried it out till recently.

So I guess this a roundabout way of asking: as far as stretches go, how huge a stretch is it, in your opinion, to get [name]Posy[/name] from [name]Sophia[/name]? Has anyone ever thought of this? It might just be my personal nickname for her (if I can get past this forced feeling of it all) or it might die out altogether, but I wanted to get an idea of people’s impressions.

Thanks!

In my opinion if [name]Josephine[/name] can have the nickname [name]Posy[/name], so can [name]Sophia[/name], it is a bit of a stretch but no more than [name]Josephine[/name]

I think tons of people have nicknames that aren’t directly related to their names. I have a friend called [name]Buddy[/name] whose real name is [name]Michael[/name].
If [name]Posy[/name] works for you, then do it!

Also, my middle name is Nohalani, close to [name]Noelani[/name]. Beautiful!

[name]Hi[/name]!

If you want to call your daughter [name]Posy[/name], then by all means, do! It’s no big deal - but I wouldn’t necessarily say it is a more “transportable” (is that what you said?) nickname. For example, my parents nearly exclusively call me [name]Birdie[/name] - no clue why! - and my name is [name]Lauren[/name], but not a single one of my friends calls me [name]Birdie[/name]! It is a family nickname, and I would be upset if anyone else used it - not because I’m embarrassed (I’m not…), but it is like a special thing for my parents and occasionally my grandparents: I’m their [name]Birdie[/name], their [name]Bird[/name], and even sometimes their [name]Birdie[/name] [name]Bear[/name]. (By the way, I’m 19, not 45, so this is still okay!)

Take care, and good luck with your little [name]Posy[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I am a [name]Sophia[/name], and although no one has ever even suggested calling me [name]Posy[/name], I do think it’s a sweet and very wearable nickname :slight_smile:

thank you for your comments, everyone! I’ll have to see if the nickname starts to feel as if it really belongs to her. I never really had a nickname by which I could ever introduce myself (I’ve never said, “[name]Hi[/name], I’m [name]Hil[/name],” though people do call me that), and I always wished for one!

Phia: Nice to hear the perspective of a [name]Sophia[/name]!

It honestly makes more sense to me than say [name]Josephine[/name]. [name]Sophia[/name], starts out Sop or Pos backwards. Technically your only one letter away from [name]Posy[/name]. Maybe I’m crazy :slight_smile:

I think it’s adorable, and I can totally see how you’d get it from [name]Sophia[/name]. Funny thing is that [name]Josephine[/name] is our number one girl name, and when I first learned that [name]Posy[/name] is a nickname for [name]Josephine[/name], I was quite surprised. I don’t think [name]Posy[/name] from [name]Sophia[/name] is any more of a stretch than [name]Posy[/name] from [name]Josephine[/name]. I at first thought that I didn’t like the nickname [name]Posy[/name] at all for our future [name]Josephine[/name], but as I’ve been thinking about it more it’s growing on me a little bit. But I digress. [name]Posy[/name] is a lovely nickname for your little girl- go with it if you can start feeling natural saying it!

I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch at all!

I love [name]Sophia[/name], and I think [name]Posy[/name] is a great nickname! As [name]Sophia[/name] has “p”, “o”, and “s” sounds, I do not think it is a stretch.

P.S. [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Belle[/name] is adorable, as well, but I definitely see how [name]Posy[/name] is more wearable.

Thanks so much, everyone! It’s so great to get your affirmation!

I think it’s great! I’ve loved [name]Posey[/name] since Ballet Shoes as well and have recently found a french version which is more substantial and it means poetry.

by spotlightstarlit on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:16 pm
“I think it’s great! I’ve loved [name]Posey[/name] since Ballet Shoes as well and have recently found a french version which is more substantial and it means poetry.”

Yes, poesie! (pr po-ay-[name]ZEE[/name]) I’ve always thought it was a beautiful word and that the spelling is beautiful. Are you considering that as a name for a child?