Sophie.... yes or no?

Although I’m usually really put off by popular names, [name]Sophie[/name] has really stuck with me and is quickly becoming my top girls name again, to SO’s delight. I like [name]Sophie[/name] because:

1. When I first met my SO, the two of us went out with some friends for breakfast one day and our waitress was named [name]Sophie[/name]. And I think he said “I love the name [name]Sophie[/name]”, and I agreed. And the next thing out of his mouth was “We should get married and have a daughter named [name]Sophie[/name]”. He was totally kidding but I remember it because I was seeing someone else at the time, and I remember thinking to myself that I would have loved to do that.

2. My mother and I are both bellydance students, and her dance name is Safiyyah, which is Arabic but sounds just like [name]Sophia[/name], so it would be a throwback to her. We’re very close. :o)

3. I have this obsession with Hayao Miyazaki’s films, particularly Howl’s Moving Castle, and the heroine in that film is named [name]Sophie[/name].

4. [name]Sophie[/name] is very similar in color to my SO’s name, [name]Chris[/name]. (This is really just a perk, it’s not a “reason” for choosing this name)

5. I looked it up on the 2008 SSA list and it’s not as popular as I thought. Only #74, which I can deal with.

So, WDYT? Is [name]Sophie[/name] a good idea or a bad idea, and how do you feel about the combo [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]?

Thanks, berries! :o)

I really love [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name]. They are very popular, but they are classic names. If you love [name]Sophie[/name], go for it! My name is very popular for my age group, but I don’t mind. I just love my name so much. (I’ve got to ask you, does it make sense that you see my name as mac and cheese colors, but I see it as a quiet blue?) What color is [name]Sophie[/name]? The names [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name] remind me of [name]Julia[/name] and [name]Julie[/name]. When I was little the name [name]Julie[/name] was really in style. [name]Both[/name] sets of names have an “a” and “ie” ending. [name]Both[/name] sets of names are very stylish right now except for [name]Julie[/name]. Only [name]Julie[/name] has gone out of style, and, mark my words, she will have her comeback - at some point. I wouldn’t mind being named [name]Sophie[/name].
Whenever I think about whether I would like a name, I think of these old ladies at my old church and how they used to always say hi to me when they saw me. They’d say, “[name]Hi[/name], [name]Susan[/name]!” and smile broadly at me. So I imagine them saying another name. Then I see if I like that name as much as [name]Susan[/name]. Isn’t that odd? It just shows that I’m obsessed with names.

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Grey[/name]! I loved reading your list of reasons, especially about what your husband said on your date! :slight_smile: I really love [name]Sophie[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name]. Yes, they’re really popular, but to me, your reasons for loving the name are more important than the popularity. Also, where you live, there may not even be many Sophies. If you love [name]Sophie[/name], I think you should go for it!

I think [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Juliette[/name] is pretty! If you’re still looking, a few more French middles you may also like are [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Mirabelle[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Sophie[/name], and I love your reasons for choosing the name. Plus, [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] is just lovely!

[name]Grey[/name], I think that all of your reasons make [name]Sophie[/name] personal to you, so it can be ‘yours’ and have meaning to you that transcends its popularity. [name]Even[/name] if she met other little Sophies, you could tell your daughter the story of how you and her daddy both loved the name and picked it out just for her, so it will feel special and unique to her! Now if the name was [name]Emily[/name], I might hesitate. But [name]Sophie[/name]'s popularity is definitely not so high that I would let it keep you from using it if you love it!

PS, I love Miyazaki too-- saw Ponyo the other day and it made my whole week! Ha, imagine a little girl named Ponyo ;p

While it is hugely popular (most Sophias I know go by [name]Sophie[/name], which makes it more commonplace than the name lists indicate), it’s a gorgeous name. Popular names are popular for a reason after all! :slight_smile:

If you love it, don’t let popularity stop you from using it!

I’ve loved [name]Sophie[/name] for such a long time, it’s hard for me to part with it too. It is just so pretty and I much prefer it to [name]Sophia[/name]. I also love your list of reasons and I think it seems like a really good choice for you. I also love [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]!

I think [name]Sophie[/name] will always be lovely (like the names [name]Lindsey[/name] and [name]Ashley[/name]) even after the super-popularity fades. However, I prefer [name]Sofie[/name]…which would give it a twist with the same sound. I think it looks more modern.

I think any name chosen out of love, popular or not, is the best choice a parent can make. A lot of people can get put off of names they love if they hear too many other people using them (ie… me right now with a few of my names), and sometimes it is hard to come to terms with popularity and fight off the nagging feeling of “Ugggggh… I thought of it first!” which inevitably comes. However, love of a name (for the right reasons, like yours) trumps all.

It has great special meaning to you so thats a huge pro. The only thing I would caution is that [name]Sophie[/name] may be number 74, but I’m willing to bet that LOTS of Sophias (#7) go by [name]Sophie[/name].

NO

Your reasons are so wonderful to read, I don’t see how you can go with anything else. I think your future daugter is already named [name]Sophie[/name] and you might find yourself regretful if you settle with something else just because of popularity worries.

Yes!

It’s not one for me, but it seems to be a very special name for you.
However, it’s true that most Sophias go by [name]Sophie[/name] (and Sophies by [name]Soph[/name]), so if you’re worried about it being too popular you could always go with a less traditional middle.
I’d say, if it feels right, go for it!

definitely yes! its a beautiful name.

I am named [name]Sophie[/name]. Its Cute but I dont feel like a sophie but your child will probably like it its not a bad choice. You should name her that its Quirky all the sophies i have met are pretty cool but i might be a little bias lol.