Sophina, Sasha, Avery, and Lexa

I went to the toy store with my daughters tonight and while walking down the [name]Barbie[/name]/doll isle I discovered these new dolls (new to me anyway). They’re called [name]Moxie[/name] Girlz. To me just a toned down more rockin’ less skanky version of Bratz (which I hate). Of course being the name freak that I am I have to find out what their individual names are. Sophina, [name]Sasha[/name], [name]Avery[/name], and [name]Lexa[/name].
I’m wondering now if I should go back and read every name of every doll from [name]Barbie[/name], to Cabbage Patch Kids, and all the way down to itty bitty [name]Polly[/name] Pocket herself.

After my first was born I soon learned after visiting a toy store that there was a [name]Barbie[/name] named [name]Kira[/name]. I’m going to be honest I don’t know if would have named her [name]Kira[/name] had I known this prior to her being born. [name]Just[/name] a FYI the female Gelfling in Dark [name]Crystal[/name] is also named [name]Kira[/name], which didn’t bother me. So when it came time to name baby #2, I scoured the internet and kept my eyes open for possible connections to any of the names we were considering. I also prepared myself that one day she might also be a [name]Barbie[/name].

With the thought of #3 on the horizon I’m even more diligent about checking a name
out before committing to it. This also means that if you wear a name tag be prepared for the crazy name freak who [name]WILL[/name] ask you about your name and maybe just maybe if the line is short, your siblings too :wink:

Does anyone else look for names in strange places? What’s the strangest?

I’ve always looked in the front of magazines at the names of the editors. I choose the names I like (including last names) and combine them to create new names. It’s not that weird, but I felt strange when I was younger and didn’t know there were other people so interested in names.

You know the long, long list of people who go into making a magazine, which goes sort of near the contents page? With everyone from the editor and publisher to the girl who brushes the dust off the coat of the girl who makes the tea? I decide what names I would use if I had to name 5 kids using only that list …

I also look at the beginning page of a magazine :slight_smile: Last night a reality show came on that I didn’t want to watch but couldn’t turn it until I knew everyone’s names.

I read the credits of movies!

I do all of those things, too. My husband hates it! I meet new people everyday for work…if they have a baby with them or talk about their new born, I ask the name. Then I ask how many kids they have and all of their names. Some are cute…I hear a lot of the same names. Lately I have heard lots of very young Margarets and an [name]Eleanor[/name]. One baby was named [name]Anne[/name]-Yates and another [name]Benjamin[/name].

I read movie credits and the dedication pages of books and all this time I thought I was the only one who did that!!! The lengths we go to for names… Often times the author dedicates it to their children or their parents who have lovely “older” names.

I just got back from the bookshop … there was a ‘For [name]Ethel[/name]’ (lovely) and a ‘For Fuschia’!

I read the movie credits, too! I’m usually one of the last people at the theatre. My new test on if I really like a name is if it’s one that would really stand out to me in the credits. If not, I take it off my list.

I also like reading dedication pages, and “thanks” pages, and names in catalogs and well, pretty much everywhere. I try to ask people their kids’ names, but I don’t like to seem creepy, so I usually don’t… but when I don’t, I regret it later, lol. Characters in story books, movies, tv shows… all great sources for names!

Haha! I love knowing I’m not the only one who looks at movie credits! When I was little, I used to have a movie credit name, where I’d have to pick the best girls’ name and the best boys’ name for imaginary children. :slight_smile:

I also look in magazines and bulletins I get in the mail. :slight_smile:

My Aunt [name]Elaine[/name] told me once that she used to love to read the names of everyone on the movie credits to see if there was a name she liked. Is this name thing a secret passion of more people than we know about? Must be.
The way I think about names is I breathe slowly, I guess it’s kind of like meditating. It’s how I go to sleep, after all. I used to think of different name combinations, usually with my last name. If I thought of a name that I really loved, then I would think, but I probably won’t love it for very long.
Now that I’ve been going on Nameberry for quite a while, I find that I have loved the same names for a long time. That’s really great - less obsessing. So the names I love the most are [name]Veronica[/name], [name]Annika[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Thomas[/name], [name]Lionel[/name], [name]Leonard[/name], and [name]Philip[/name]. Oh, and [name]William[/name]. They pretty much are staying the same. They are all names that I would name my bunnies if I were a Mother [name]Bunny[/name] in a children’s story. If I lived in [name]Boston[/name], I would use those names. I could put flowery middle names with them. Nobody is going to name some doll [name]Annika[/name] or [name]Thomas[/name], I’ll bet. None of them is going to get super popular like [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Ava[/name].

Oh, I can empathise with all these things - dolls names, movie credits, magazine editorial pages etc.!

If I am having difficulty getting to sleep, I play this mental game where I go through the alphabet picking out my favourite name for a boy and a girl beginning with A, then B and so on - [name]Angelica[/name], [name]Brigid[/name], [name]Catriona[/name], [name]Dinah[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], Fionnoula, [name]Geraldine[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Kathleen[/name], [name]Lorna[/name], Marsaili, [name]Norah[/name], [name]Olga[/name], [name]Petra[/name], [name]Queenie[/name], [name]Rosamund[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Thea[/name], [name]Ursula[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Willa[/name], [name]Xanthe[/name], [name]Ysabel[/name], [name]Zoe[/name] . . . . . . . . ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I look for names everywhere. Movie credits are the best for nice long lists to scour.
I look for patterns too. For instance, I learned somewhere that more female CFO’s of big companies are named [name]Katharine[/name] than any other name which suggests it is a powerful name.
[name]Even[/name] horse races…[name]Rachel[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] is the filly that beat all the colts this year in one of the big races(Preakness, I think?)
I have been obsessed with names long before even getting pregnant or having children!

There is a [name]Moxie[/name] girl named Sophina? This name was my 3rd gr grandmother’s name. I thought it unique and lovely. I was considering trying to get my son and d-i-l to use for a middle for one of the twins. Now, I just don’t know. :frowning: