šŸš Soren vs Sorin

Iā€™m curiousā€¦ why is [name_m]Soren[/name_m] so popular and talked about, but I never see [name_m]Sorin[/name_m] mentioned at all?

I feel like [name_m]Soren[/name_m] has a gentler and more appealing look whereas [name_m]Sorin[/name_m] looks a little harsher to me. I know a lot of people on here mention liking softer boys names, so that might be part of it?

2 Likes

[name_m]Sorin[/name_m] is cool! I canā€™t say Iā€™ve come across it before and I assumed it to be a respelling of [name_m]Soren[/name_m]. On research, I can see that itā€™s a separate Romanian name, but maybe itā€™s just lack of familiarity?

2 Likes

Both of your replies make sense. Thank you.

Yes, it is a Romanian name pronounced sore-een. If I remember correctly, it means sun.

I actually prefer [name_m]Sorin[/name_m] over [name_m]Soren[/name_m].

[name_m]Soren[/name_m] is one of those not-very-interesting Scandinavian names for me, one that non-Scandinavian people tend to get excited about and find very refreshing, while to me it just sounds very common. Itā€™s alright, nothing wrong with it, just not very exciting. In [name_m]Denmark[/name_m], for example, SĆøren is extremely common.

[name_m]Sorin[/name_m] looks more appealing to me, and I like the meaning (youā€™re right, it does mean ā€œsunā€). Itā€™s not my style exactly, but I quite like it.

3 Likes

[name_m]Sorin[/name_m] makes me think of the Italian chocolate brand Sorini. Itā€™s not a terrible association but their chocolate is bad :joy:

I still prefer [name_m]Sorin[/name_m] over [name_m]Soren[/name_m]. [name_m]Sƶren[/name_m] is a very very grandpa name in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] so Iā€™m not ready to hear it on kids.

2 Likes

I completely agree with @Rosebeth & @Iris_Claire - I find [name_m]Soren[/name_m] / SĆøren / [name_m]Sƶren[/name_m] just kinda boring. [name_m]Sorin[/name_m] is much more intriguing and exciting to my Nordic ears!

1 Like

Thank you, all! Iā€™m thrilled to hear I am not the only one who prefers [name_m]Sorin[/name_m]. Your explanations definitely help me to understand its under-appreciation a bit more.