Sorry to beat a dead horse...

…but I’m done with my school applications and have free time to talk about names again now, finally!!! Yay!! Anyway, for those that don’t know, we have a daughter named [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Gaby[/name] for short) and are expecting a second daughter in 14 weeks. My husband and I have agreed on [name]Madeline[/name] for the baby’s first name (after a lengthy battle), but I’m still having second thoughts on MNs (I told him I get to decide the MN since he picked out [name]Madeline[/name]). :slight_smile: It was going to be [name]Stella[/name], but I keep finding myself doubting my choice. Anyway. Here are some other middle names I’ve considered:

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eva[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Claire[/name]

My issues with the MNs [name]Violet[/name]/[name]Ruby[/name]/[name]Stella[/name] are that they are becoming pretty trendy for me, and I feel kind of cliche pairing them with [name]Madeline[/name]. I still like [name]Eva[/name], but just want to review other options. Plus, my hub says he’s not a fan of [name]Eva[/name] (after previously saying he liked it).

So…any suggestions? [name]Lemon[/name] had suggested [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] (which I really love, plus it keeps the alliteration of [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]!) but I’m not sure if the combo is too French and “out there” for me. Plus, it would just introduce all the pronunciation issues I was trying to avoid with [name]Eva[/name]/[name]Ava[/name]. :wink: Anyway, let me know what you berries think! Thank you!

p.s. sorry that was so long!

p.p.s. lemon, i hope you still are here!

p.p.p.s. i forgot to ask you guys for opinions on how we should spell [name]Maddie[/name]/[name]Maddy[/name], etc. for nicknames.

[name]Madeline[/name] is lovely, and goes very well with [name]Gabriella[/name]. Are you pronouncing it -line, or -linn? [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eva[/name] are my favorites from your list. I’m not a fan of [name]Ruby[/name] or [name]Stella[/name] and [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Claire[/name] is a little tongue-twistery. [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] is gorgeous! Does it need to be two syllables?

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mira[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Clara[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Clio[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Vera[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Iris[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Willa[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Luna[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Zara[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Bridget[/name]

I would spell [name]Maddie[/name] like that. There’s also [name]Del[/name], [name]Della[/name], [name]Addie[/name], [name]Linny[/name], [name]Lina[/name], or [name]Lin[/name] in case you want to stay away from the superpopular [name]Maddie[/name] nickname. I think even [name]Millie[/name] or [name]Mallie[/name] would work.

Thank you, irisrose!

I do not require any amount of syllables. :slight_smile: I do love the concise-ness of a one-syllable MN, but it’s not a huge deal for me. My only thing is that I want it to be similar in style to [name]Grace[/name] - simple and classic. I’m not sure [name]Mireille[/name] fits the bill, but it is GORGEOUS!

We are pronouncing it -lynn.

I like everything on your list! If you decide to do a simple M name you could go with:
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]May[/name] (If you are going with the [name]Maddie[/name] nn, [name]Maddie[/name] [name]May[/name] is so cute!)
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Marie[/name] (Classic, like [name]Grace[/name].)

I really, really, really love [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]. [name]Madeline[/name] is lovely, you should definitely stick with it, but there are hoards of [name]Madeline[/name]/[name]Madeleine[/name]/[name]Madelyn[/name]/other variants out there, not to mention the almost-sames or names that lead to similar nicknames, like [name]Madison[/name]. So a lot of little Maddies (I like the [name]Maddie[/name] spelling), Matties, Addies, and Abbys. Which is okay. It’s still a great name. But [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Marie[/name] or [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Rose[/name] would be pretty darn boring, no offense. [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] is surprising in the best possible way.

From your list, [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] would be my favorites, and I think that [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Claire[/name] works the best with [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eva[/name] and [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Stella[/name] are also pretty, though.

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] is lovely. I agree that [name]Mireille[/name] isn’t as simple or classic as [name]Grace[/name], but [name]Mireille[/name] (meaning “to admire”) and [name]Grace[/name] both have the “ay” sound and are virtue names, so they would fit, in a way. Plus, [name]Mireille[/name] shares similar sounds with [name]Marie[/name], so I guess that it doesn’t feel TOO weird. I also think that you’re right about the pronunciation issues, but I think that it would be fine, since you rarely use your middle name, anyways. [name]Madeline[/name] [name]May[/name] could be an alternative to [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]…

One syllable:
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Anne[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Cate[/name]/[name]Kate[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Fay[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Paige[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Sage[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Tess[/name]

Virtues:
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Blithe[/name]/[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Faith[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Hope[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Verity[/name]

Others:
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Anna[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Iris[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Julia[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Maria[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Olive[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Vera[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Willa[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Zoe[/name]

Also, I would probably spell the nickname [name]Maddie[/name]. I don’t know why, but it seems “cuter” to me.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Elsie[/name]!

Yes, I’m still here, and it is so good to hear from you again! I still think [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eva[/name] is gorgeous, but [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] is so stunning, really. It’s a unique, feminine, glamorous combination that doesn’t look too out of place next to the sweetness of [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. I don’t think you need to worry about [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] looking too French because most people don’t associate [name]Madeline[/name] with [name]France[/name] immediately unless they are knowledgeable about names - you aren’t using the French [name]Madeleine[/name], either. As for it being too out of your own naming comfort zone, that’s for you and your husband to decide. Yes, it is incredibly uncommon, but it is a middle name and it has a beautiful meaning, much like [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Mireille[/name] means “to admire.”). As for pronunciation issues, they are going to be there, for sure. You’ll probably get some ‘meer-ee-isle’ pronunciations instead of the correct ‘meer-AY,’ but I think that is just something you might have to sacrifice for a beautiful name, you know? All I’m saying is I can definitely see the two as sister names and they make for stunning combos…

Other ideas, though:

To match [name]Grace[/name]'s vintage style and [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]'s alliteration, you might try [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mary[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]May[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Martha[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Marie[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Margo[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mamie[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Molly[/name], or [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Maude[/name]. I’ve suggested most of those before, I believe, but [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Molly[/name] is sweet! I think [name]Molly[/name] is an unexpected middle name, myself.

Or, something like this might be pretty! [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Ara[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Bridget[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Cara[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Flora[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Glory[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Joy[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Sela[/name], or [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Tess[/name]. I just think [name]Sela[/name] is a neat name, but [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] is pretty!

As for how to spell her nickname, I’d base it on what you like to write out more - after all, you’ll be spelling this name for the rest of your life! For me, I think I write i’s and e’s better than y’s, so I’d probably choose [name]Maddie[/name], but you might be different, especially if you spell [name]Gaby[/name]'s nickname with a Y. [name]Maddy[/name] and [name]Gaby[/name] might be nice just for unity’s sake, but it’s up to you! Neither is more “correct”…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Yay, [name]Lemon[/name]!! [name]Hi[/name]! :slight_smile:

Ok, I think I do like the [name]Maddie[/name] sp. better, especially since we spell [name]Gaby[/name] with a “y”, it kind of separates the two.

I do think [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] sounds stunning, too!! But yes, I don’t know if I’m gutsy enough to use it. :frowning: Also, this is kind of dumb…but is it “meer-AY” or “mirr-AY”? [name]Just[/name] wondering. I have been pronouncing it “meer-AY” but I think it’s wrong!

Anyway…I will keep contemplating and reading posts… :slight_smile:

[name]Elsie[/name],

Yeah, it’s meer-AY, not mirr-AY. Here’s a French pronunciation that might help you. Now, it won’t sound like that with an American accent - as mine is - but it is more of a “me” sound than a “myrrh” sound, you know?

http://www.forvo.com/word/mireille_mathieu/

I’d just say the name aloud to yourself or to others - practice on [name]Gaby[/name]! - to see if it fits for you. If you feel comfortable with it, I’d take the plunge, but you’ve got plenty of time! [name]Just[/name] for kicks, this is a list of names I found in the M section of a name book:

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Macy[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Maggie[/name]*
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Maia[/name]*
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mamie[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mara[/name]*
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Marcy[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Margo[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Marie[/name]*
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Marley[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Marlo[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Martha[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mary[/name]*
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mathilde[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Maya[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mayim[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mercy[/name]*
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mia[/name]*
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Milly[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Mischa[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Moira[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Molly[/name]*
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Myra[/name]

Some are old, some are new. Some are vintage, some are modern. Some are unique, some are popular. Maybe one will catch your eye…

Thank you, [name]Lemon[/name], for the pronunciation link!! I took French for four years, but you wouldn’t know it b/c I barely remember a thing. :frowning: Anyway, I love [name]Mireille[/name] but I do think I would be too chicken to use it. :slight_smile: And of course, [name]Brent[/name] shot it down right away (“We’re not French”). He’s not very worldly. FYI!

Ok, here are a couple others I’ve been pondering after seeing some other posts… :slight_smile:

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] ([name]Brent[/name] said he actually would go for this one! But do you guys think it’s too frilly?)

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name] (my mom’s name is [name]Sheila[/name], but I’m not really a fan of that name - sorry mom!! - but I read [name]Sheila[/name] is derived from [name]Cecilia[/name])

I’m gonna let [name]Brent[/name] read some of the other posts on here and see what he thinks. Thank you again :slight_smile:

I think [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] is amazing, [name]Elsie[/name]! Really, I love it! Not too frilly - yes, [name]Scarlett[/name] is a very feminine name, but in a strong sort of way, and when paired with the very classic [name]Madeline[/name], I think it makes for a wonderful combination!

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name] is gorgeous, too, but I like the short and sweet package of [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] more…

PS I think [name]Scarlett[/name] is so perfect I’d even suggest it as a first name with [name]Gabriella[/name]! [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] or something. Ha! [name]Gaby[/name] and [name]Carly[/name]…

[name]Hi[/name] lemon! I already tried to get brent to agree with scarlett for a first name, but no go, of course. Ok, so do you like [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] or [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eva[/name] better? [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Scarlett[/name] goes as well with [name]Grace[/name] as [name]Eva[/name] does?

I need help, btw…I feel like such a neurotic spaz. I just read the thread “the last baby girl you met was named…” And I felt like there were a million [name]Madeline[/name]/[name]Madeleine[/name]/Madelynns, etc! I mean, obviously I knew it’s popular, but not still that popular! It is making me uncomfortable with our decision yet I seriously don’t think [name]Brent[/name] and I can agree on any other names. I will say, everyone I tell we’re considering that name says, “I love [name]Madeline[/name]!” So I think that’s good and reassuring, but still. :frowning: I am just spazzing out. Damn these pregnancy hormones!!

I’m chiming in late, sorry! [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] is stunning! By far my favorite of your choices! But I’m biased because I adore [name]Scarlett[/name]. I think [name]Madeline[/name] is a beautiful name too, and great with your daughters name! I love your choice of spelling, too (and [name]Maddie[/name] is my fave for the nickname). I wish i could say that I haven’t met lots of little Maddies, but, it’s unavoidable. As you said, people still like the name! And what matters most is that you love her name. My niece is a Madi, there are tons of others her age (9), and she hasn’t been adversely affected, she’s one of those popular girls that likes to fit in, so her name is really perfect for her. Plus, [name]Madeline[/name] is classic, it’s more than just a passing fad. And you can get her all the books and dolls! What little girl wouldn’t love that?

To sum that up, I love [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]!!!

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Lyndsay[/name]! Thank you for chiming in! :slight_smile: Ok, so out of [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eva[/name] and [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name], you like [name]Scarlett[/name] the best? [name]Just[/name] confirming. :slight_smile: And you think it goes ok with [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]?

[name]Elsie[/name],

I’m sorry [name]Brent[/name] won’t agree to [name]Scarlett[/name] as a first name! And, yes, [name]Madeline[/name] is popular, but so is [name]Gabriella[/name], right? [name]Madeline[/name] is a classic name, so people will use it often. Maybe not as much as another classic, say [name]Sarah[/name], but definitely frequently. I think that is a sign of a great name - [name]Madeline[/name] is gorgeous and will never go out of style!

I think [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Eva[/name] are both very similar - romantic, feminine, and strong. So, I don’t think one goes with [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name] better than the other, you know? I think I’d choose [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] because it is romantic, playful, and sweet, just like [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name], and you don’t have the pronunciation problems that [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eva[/name] brings. It’s a winner.

I mean, if you really want [name]Scarlett[/name] to be the first name, you can try pressing [name]Brent[/name] to change his mind (I think [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Susannah[/name] would be cute with [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name], too), but I do think [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] is beautiful! Really, really love it.

I think [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] is beautiful and goes wonderfully well with [name]Gabriella[/name] [name]Grace[/name] - two very equally matched and gorgeous names!

I like [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eva[/name] too but I know you’ve had issues with pronounciation, and I would always pronounce that spelling ee-va. I think it sounds lovely with [name]Madeline[/name] pronounced that way but I know you like the A-va pronounciation so to avoid confusion I would stick to [name]Scarlett[/name].

I actually think [name]Madeline[/name] [name]May[/name] would make the most adorable sister for [name]Gabrielle[/name] [name]Grace[/name] but I understand that since your husband chose the first name you want to use a middle name you really love and not just a “filler” middle name so to speak.

Best of luck! I hope you find your perfect name soon :slight_smile:

LOL I hope we find the perfect name too so I can stop harassing you guys! :slight_smile: ok so it would be [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] Kutzner (pr. CUTS-ner). What do you guys think bout the flow? Sorry to be a pain :frowning: I have to admit, I think [name]Eva[/name] flows a bit better with our last name. :p.

Hmm, I see what you mean! I don’t think the flow in [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] is bad, but there are a lot of repeating sounds in [name]Scarlett[/name] and Kutzner - it could sound a bit lispy! Then again, how often will her full name be said out loud?

And don’t worry about “harrasing” us! Most berries love talking names and are happy for the opportunity :slight_smile: