Spanish speakers please advise

I found a name I like that I can say, but I have a question about connotations that really needs someone who speaks Spanish conversationally a lot.

I like this name for its sound, the way it fits with our last name, the way it has a few nicknames, it’s meaning… its [name]Mariposa[/name]. [name]Mari[/name]- is pretty much the sound of my husband’s beloved Grandmother’s name, and [name]Posy[/name] is a cute possibility as well.

But I have seen online as I nerd out about names that it was mentioned that in Spanish it has it’s literal meaning of butterfly, which I love (I love nature names) but also is a slur against gay men.

I guess what I am wondering is, is this a slur on the level of the f-starting slur against gay people in English, or is it more like, say, [name]Nancy[/name], or just sort of an irritating thing to say, like [name]Susie[/name] (to a man)? Obviously I wouldn’t name a boy [name]Nancy[/name] or [name]Susie[/name] or [name]Mariposa[/name]! But it’s not really a slur that makes it inconceivable for a girl.

So I guess I am wondering if I should put this back in its box and only consider it for fictional characters, and go with [name]Marigold[/name] or something instead, or if it just has a gentle whimsical sound for a girl?

I won’t get mad either way and I would really appreciate the advice. I am not ready to put it on my list yet but I’d love to know if I could.

I’ve never heard anyone use it as a slur before, but I also live 30 min. away from a town called [name]Mariposa[/name]. Maybe it’s used that way only in certain areas? If it is used, it appears to be more as a negative slang word, than as an out and out slur.

I think it’s really pretty, and [name]Posy[/name] is a cute nn.

[name]Do[/name] you think its usable for a girl? I admittedly wouldn’t use [name]Butterfly[/name] directly, but I do like nature names generally. And it has a nice sound. But I am not sure if I can put it on my list, though my husband actually doesn’t mind it.

@sugarfoot is right, it’s more like calling someone a fairy than anything worse. If you like it, go for it as it is very pretty and feminine. Another option could be the French for butterfly which is ‘papillon’ (pa-py-on). I think this is just as pretty but no link to [name]Mari[/name] in this case.

I kind of like the [name]Mari[/name]- and the [name]Mari[/name]/[name]Posy[/name] nicknames.

[name]Papillon[/name] has the same nice meaning but the sound isn’t as appealing to me, I’m not sure why, and no nicknames and we’re thinking of getting possibly a [name]Papillon[/name] dog and that would be an odd combo. (No I don’t have any kind of weird insect obsession, lol)

I think I am keeping this one for my list, thanks so much everyone. I like feminine but unusual names. Couldn’t get my husband to see the beauty in [name]Esmeralda[/name] though so I was surprised he agreed this sounded pretty. :slight_smile:

I say, take the names used offensively back!:wink: I like the name [name]Fanny[/name] a lot for instance, it’s widely used in [name]Sweden[/name] but doesn’t work that well internationally. I think [name]Mariposa[/name] is a great, sweet name. I also like [name]Marisol[/name] a lot, it’s somewhat similar, perhaps without negative connotations. Esmeralsa is great too!

I say, take the names used offensively back!:wink: I like the name [name]Fanny[/name] a lot for instance, it’s widely used in [name]Sweden[/name] but doesn’t work that well internationally. I think [name]Mariposa[/name] is a great, sweet name. I also like [name]Marisol[/name] a lot, it’s somewhat similar, perhaps without negative connotations. [name]Esmeralda[/name] is great too!

I don’t speak Spanish but I live in south [name]Florida[/name], have a Latino bf, and tons of Latino friends. I know enough Spanish to tell you not to worry. [name]Mariposa[/name] is not the main slur for gay men. As mentioned, it’s along the lines of calling a guy a fairy, girl, or sissy. The actual term is Maricon and it means “fa**ot”