Spelled as one name, pronounced as another

I was just thinking, has there ever been a situation where someone named [name_f]Mia[/name_f] pronounced their name as [name_f]Maya[/name_f] or something similar? [name_f]Share[/name_f] stories if you have them!

1 Like

I’ve known of a [name_f]Mia[/name_f] pronounced like my-uh :slight_smile:

I’ve also met a [name_f]Elena[/name_f] pronounced like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], a [name_f]Carys[/name_f] said like [name_f]Cerys[/name_f] and a [name_u]William[/name_u] would either got called or it was just pronounced as [name_m]Willem[/name_m]

1 Like

I knew an [name_f]Alana[/name_f] pronounced like [name_f]Elena[/name_f] !

I knew an [name_f]Eva[/name_f] pronounced like [name_f]Ava[/name_f] !

The first one that comes to mind is an [name_f]Alexandrea[/name_f], with the latter half of the name pronounced as the other [name_u]Andrea[/name_u] pronunciation - so alex-ahn-DRAY-uh

1 Like

I knew a [name_u]Luce[/name_u] pronounced [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]

[name_m]Steven[/name_m] pronounced as [name_m]Steffen[/name_m]

[name_m]Johann[/name_m] pronounced [name_f]Joanne[/name_f] :skull: (I was totally expected her to be a man when I saw the name written down)

1 Like

Yes I’ve known this too. So where I am [name_f]Eva[/name_f] is ee-vu, but this [name_f]Eva[/name_f] is Polish and PN her name as we would say [name_f]Ava[/name_f] (ay-vu, ay rhyming with day ).

1 Like

I went to high school with a girl named [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] she when by the nickname [name_f]Eva[/name_f] and she pronounced it as EH - v uh instead of EE - v uh

there was a [name_f]Mia[/name_f] in my class and teachers often pronounced it as [name_f]Maya[/name_f] first try, not sure why though because [name_f]Mia[/name_f] (mee-uh) is so much more common, I’ve never met a [name_f]Mia[/name_f] (my-uh)

Have met an [name_m]Ian[/name_m] pronounced to rhyme with [name_m]Brian[/name_m]