Spelling for a prince’s name?

Hello again! I’m having a hard time sorting through how I want to spell a particular character’s name, and it’s something that’s been bothering me for some time. I’ll put a poll so you can answer quickly if you want, or you can take a peek into my thought process. I certainly won’t hold it against you if you don’t want to look into the dark depths of my brain though.

The character’s name is pronounced MAH-tee-us. The “a” is pronounced similar to that in “father”.

The dark depths of my brain

I won’t be picky if people say it MATT-ee-us, and probably not even with mah-TEE-us either, but just so you know where my mind was at initially. [name_m]Just[/name_m] no “th” sound.

The prince is from a fictional kingdom whose language and culture is based loosely on Hungary. I knew I wanted something along the lines of [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] but the Hungarian form of [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] is Mátyás. I’m not afraid to use accent marks in character’s names but that seems a little unnecessarily complicated for [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers.

I was open to [name_m]German[/name_m] variants as well. Enter: [name_m]Mattias[/name_m] and [name_m]Matias[/name_m]. (I’m forgoing [name_m]Matthias[/name_m] or [name_m]Mathias[/name_m] because I don’t want mah-THY-us, which is my first thought). Through the whirlwind of my mind though, I’ve also come to [name_m]Mateus[/name_m], which is apparently Portuguese. There’s no other Portuguese influence in the kingdom (and since he’s a prince, I figure the name should be pretty representative of the kingdom’s culture) but also, the kingdom is made up, so why couldn’t there be a natural-born “Hungarian” prince with a Portuguese name? I mean, in this world, there’s no such thing as Portugal or Hungary.

There’s also [name_m]Matteus[/name_m], which is Norwegian. While there’s no kingdom based on Portugal though, there is one based on Scandinavia, which obviously Norway is part of. So yeah.

So that’s where I came up with [name_m]Matias[/name_m], [name_m]Mattias[/name_m], [name_m]Mateus[/name_m], and [name_m]Matteus[/name_m]. I’ve been using [name_m]Mateus[/name_m] but I can’t decide if the Portuguese thing does (or should) bother me.

The poll

• [name_m]Matias[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Mattias[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Mateus[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Matteus[/name_m]

0 voters

Bonus! If you’re not sick of me yet, I have a bonus task for you! This is a prince after all, and he has several middle names. One will be [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] (his father) but if you want to give me a long, over the top, prince-of-a-magical-world combo including your favorite spelling and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], I will be so appreciative!

Full disclosure: I don’t default to MAH-tee-us on any of these. However, I prefer [name_m]Mattias[/name_m] and I think it’s a very easy pronunciation fix.

Mattias [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], maybe?

1 Like

I won’t be picky if people say it MATT-ee-us, and probably not even with mah-TEE-us either, but just so you know where my mind was at initially. [name_m]Just[/name_m] no “th” sound.

Yeah, I included that in the dark depths of my brain, but maybe should’ve kept it out. I just get worried that people think I ramble too much lol. But it won’t let me edit it now.

That combination is wonderful!

1 Like

I would go with [name_m]Matias[/name_m] or [name_m]Mattias[/name_m].
[name_m]Mateus[/name_m]’s pronounciation is very different. I’m not sure how to explain it, but I will try to find a video about it.

2 Likes

i live in portugal and when i see [name_m]Mateus[/name_m] i just hear Ma-tay-ush with a very slight th-ness on the t, but u did say u didn’t like that.
personally my favourite is [name_m]Matteus[/name_m] because it looks the nicest written down, i find the double t pleasing :smile_cat:
here is a list of possible mns for the prince :slight_smile: :
[name_u]Nolan[/name_u]
Naryan
[name_u]Orion[/name_u]
[name_m]Ossian[/name_m]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
Lyvander
Idrisian
[name_u]Paris[/name_u]
[name_m]Pascal[/name_m]
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
Quinneas
[name_m]Xander[/name_m]

1 Like

The first audio is how we pronounce [name_m]Mateus[/name_m] in Portugal. The Brazilian pronounciation is a little different.

2 Likes

So funny story, my tom turkey is actually named [name_m]Matthias[/name_m] (same pronunciation as your prince). Luckily, no one bothers to spell it, so it’s just for me. Anyway, I voted [name_m]Mattias[/name_m] because I like the spelling. For the long names, how do you like
[name_m]Mattias[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Roland[/name_m] [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] [name_m]Eustace[/name_m]
[name_m]Mattias[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_m]Richard[/name_m] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]
[name_m]Mattias[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m]
([name_m]Richard[/name_m] is my turkey’s middle name, lol). Good luck!

1 Like

Lol [name_m]Eustace[/name_m] is perfect! The character is a bit of a wretch so he might deserve a name like [name_m]Eustace[/name_m] haha.

[name_m]Mattias[/name_m] [name_m]Aurelio[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] :blush:

1 Like

It appears as though [name_m]Mattias[/name_m] is the overwhelming favorite. Please excuse where I voted, the page jumped on me once when I was trying to view the results. I’m going to play around with [name_m]Mattias[/name_m] for the time being, just to make sure it sticks.

As for the full name, I want him to have as long a name as possible, so I’ve taken ideas from everyone. For now, his name is [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]Mattias[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] [name_m]Pascal[/name_m] [name_m]Izidor[/name_m] [name_m]Aurelio[/name_m] [name_m]Laurenz[/name_m] [name_m]Eustace[/name_m].

Thank you!

1 Like

thats a fantastic name! :grin:

1 Like

Mateus [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Stefan[/name_m] [name_u]Bela[/name_u] [name_m]Lukas[/name_m]

1 Like

I think [name_m]Mattias[/name_m] and [name_m]Matias[/name_m] are both fine. If you use either of the spellings with the E, you run the risk of people pronouncing that E sound more like an A.

Long name suggestion: [name_m]Mattias[/name_m] [name_m]Maxim[/name_m] [name_m]Aurelio[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Ephraim[/name_m] [name_m]Eustace[/name_m]

I like the idea of double the first letters as it seems more over the top.

1 Like