Spelling Freyja

I’m a massive norse mythology geek, and Freyja is my favourite goddess, and I love her name. It’s one of just a few names on my list I’d tick off as usable, except for the spelling. I really dislike the spelling [name_f]Freya[/name_f], but it’s very popular, and I’m fully aware that’s how most people in the UK would spell it, and they might even be confused by the Freyja spelling.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think using the Freyja spelling, it’s usable? Or should I see if I can learn to love [name_f]Freya[/name_f]? [name_f]Freja[/name_f] doesn’t bother me as much as [name_f]Freya[/name_f], but I think it would be mispronounced a lot.

I do think it’s usable here. I know of a few girls called [name_f]Freya[/name_f], Freyja and [name_f]Freja[/name_f] in the UK.

I love the Freyja spelling, and I think it would work fine here. I remember seeing it on a quiz show, and being really pleased with the spelling, and thinking maybe it’s not too difficult. Plus it’s almost halfway up the top 1000 list now, so I think it’s probably getting more exposure and popularity along with [name_f]Freya[/name_f], and hopefully that will keep corrections down to a minimum.

I think Freyja’s totally fine.

I love love love Freyja. It’s my favorite spelling as a first name, and I dont think it would cause many issues pronunciation wise. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it does one correction and people will remember.

I am having this same thought myself of late. Freyja has been one of my favourites for a long, long time, spelled this way, but I do wonder if the J would be too confusing for many (here)… I know people around me (my own family I know do not understand ‘silent’ J’s in names…ugh) would try to pronounce the J and ruin the name, so that puts me off a bit. I do like [name_f]Freya[/name_f], but I do feel it loses its magic quite a bit without the J. Also, [name_f]Freya[/name_f]'s becoming more and more common, so that in itself puts me off it.

Ultimately, I think sticking to (our) guns and keeping with Freyja is the best bet - as with most names, it’ll only take a quick correction for most people, and it’ll be fine from there on out. I’ve recently been trying to love [name_f]Freya[/name_f] myself, but it’s just not the same, is it?

I also prefer the Freyja spelling! I’m a big fan of Nordic mythology and history so it just seems right.
[name_f]Do[/name_f] keep in mind that I know some people who pronounce the two names differently, with [name_f]Freya[/name_f] as [name_m]Frey[/name_m]-ah and Freyja as [name_m]Frey[/name_m]-ya, the ya sound like in “yarn”

I’m quite surprised at the responses!

It really isn’t @sunniva, but I have no idea why.

I don’t like [name_f]Freja[/name_f] much, but the other two spellings seem fine. Although I will be candid, I met a little girl named [name_f]Isla[/name_f], and I saw her mother spell her name ‘Eiyla’. Which instantly made me roll my eyes (to myself). So, obviously I would never say anything but you may get a few odd reactions now and then to spellings that are unfamiliar in your neck of the woods. Which means nothing, if you truly like the name.

I feel like there woukdn’t actuskky be too many problems using Freyja or [name_f]Freja[/name_f]. While [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is more popuksr, the name in all it’s variants is quite well known.

Freyja is definitely usable. Sure, some people might have trouble with the spelling or pronunciation sometimes, but a that happens with a lot of names. No different to [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]/[name_f]Sara[/name_f] or all the variations of [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f], and it hasn’t stopped lots of people from using those names. It might get pronounced [name_m]Frey[/name_m]-ja sometimes, but it’s easy to correct and say, no, it’s like [name_f]Freya[/name_f]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it gets pronounced wrong it will still be recognizable enough for her to know people are talking to her, and she can correct them.

I think Freyja is easy enough to correct, however, the biggest “problem” she may face regarding spelling is autocorrect which (at least for me using the UK keyboard) automatically changes it to [name_f]Freya[/name_f].

I prefer spelling it Freyja. That’s how I’ve learnt to write it and even though [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is lovely, it doesn’t have the same feel as Freyja.