Spelling help: Rhianna or Rheanna

I absolutely adore the meaning and history of the name [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], and for the past few years I’ve been dead set on using some variant of this as a baby girl name. For whatever reason, I’m not attached to the traditional, full spelling, though. So I was thinking using either [name_f]Rhianna[/name_f] or [name_f]Rheanna[/name_f], nicknames [name_f]Rhia[/name_f] or [name_f]Rhea[/name_f]. From an on paper standpoint, I love the spelling of both.

A few of the family and friends that I have asked have mentioned that the name reminds them of the singer [name_f]Rihanna[/name_f], which I understand, even if the names and the meaning behind them are completely different. However, that comparison has made me a bit unsure of spelling it like [name_f]Rhianna[/name_f]. I feel like people might be even more inclined to make that connection because of the similar spelling, and may even assume I’m naming my daughter after her but spelling it wrong!

On the other hand, [name_f]Rheanna[/name_f] is spelled differently enough that I’m not even sure people would consider it a variation of the name [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]. Not to mention that the nickname, [name_f]Rhea[/name_f], has completely different connotations than [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] does. [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] means great queen and is the name of a Welsh goddess; whereas [name_f]Rhea[/name_f] is the wife of [name_m]Cronus[/name_m], a [name_m]Titan[/name_m], and the mother of the first Olympian gods. Would using the spelling [name_f]Rheanna[/name_f] muddy up the original meaning I am going for? Or would it add more depth to a name and nickname that can draw from multiple myths? I so love myth based names!

I’m sorry if my rambled musings don’t make much sense! I just want honest opinions about which spelling people think works better. Thank you!

1 Like

I prefer the original [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]. Of your other options, I prefer [name_f]Rhianna[/name_f]. It does remind me of the singer.

1 Like

Both spellings make me think more of the singer than of [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]. I also prefer the original. If you don’t like the full name you could do [name_f]Rhia[/name_f] as a full name. Also I am from the US so [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] is pretty unusual, and maybe it would be different if you are in the UK.

I love [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], I actually know a few, living in [name_m]Wales[/name_m]. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_u]Rhian[/name_u], which is pronounced [name_f]Ree[/name_f]-uhn?

I prefer how [name_f]Rhianna[/name_f] looks written down, but agree it just sounds like the singer. I like [name_f]Rheanna[/name_f] as well.

I just remembered I knew of a [name_f]Rhianna[/name_f] who was really pretty. It’s a shame because I think if the singer wasn’t around, it’s be a really stunning name.

I prefer*[name_f]Rhianna[/name_f]and[name_f]Rhia[/name_f].

[name_f]My[/name_f] given name is [name_f]Rheanna[/name_f]…my mother liked the name [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] and, as her Grandmother was named [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], she decided to combine the two, therefore coming up with the spelling ‘[name_f]Rheanna[/name_f]’.
I guess I’m not too fond of my first name but I love the fact that, unbeknownst to her, she basically named me after the [name_m]Titan[/name_m] [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Rhea[/name_f] and ironically enough I’ve always loved the Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece

1 Like

While I certainly do think of the singer when I see [name_f]Rhianna[/name_f], it’s a good name and not a bad association. I also wouldn’t assume that the name was chosen because of the singer u less the parent seemed like a hardcore fan or something.

While I personally really like [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], [name_f]Rhianna[/name_f] is a great choice.