Spelling help

I have chosen Zebulun/Zebulon for our 6th child.
In Genesis, Leah’s sixth child was Zebulun. I checked multiple Bible versions and his name is spelled Zebulun. So why is Zebulon the most common spelling??? Because of Zebulon Pike of Pikes Peak?

If anyone has any insight into this, I need to have all the available info to make the best decision.

Thank you Berries!!

If you had given me both options I would have guessed [name_m]Zebulon[/name_m] was the biblical spelling, but I just looked at a few places and they all say [name_m]Zebulun[/name_m]. Interesting! Maybe because of [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] and [name_m]Simeon[/name_m], I assumed the -on ending was the right one?

1 Like

Yeah, I feel like a -lun ending is very unusual, whereas an -on one feels more familiar and thus might be more appealing?

From what I can find from searching, Zebulon is just an alternative transcription, and it’s the one used in The Antiquity of Jews by Flavius Josephus. I also looked into variants of Zebulon, and in Greek, French, Latin, and Polish, the -on spelling is used (though it’s often Zabulon) :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yeah I agree that generally speaking the ‘on’ ending just feels more familiar when it vibes to names

Thank you for all your research!! I just don’t see any compelling reason to spell it wrong, so who knows, maybe I’ll start a movement to use the correct spelling instead of it’s variant spelling.

2 Likes