Spelling: Isadore vs. Isidore

Our family is very excited to welcome our baby boy this December! He will be our second child, Adeline Estelle 's baby brother.

The reason for starting this thread is to receive feedback about a top contender for his name: Isadore / Isidore.

One of my biggest issues surrounding the name is deciding which spelling I prefer. The purist / traditionalist in me has a hard time accepting Isadore, knowing it is an Americanized form of the “actual” name. However, we do feel (as Americans) that Isadore is more intuitive, and could probably result in less confusion down the road. As an added bonus, this spelling matches that of the Incubus song (Isadore, 2011).

Isidore enables nickname Sid, but we are traditional. We are unlikely to use nicknames at all. I also see Isidore as having benefit because Apple devices think that Isidore is the correct spelling (autocorrect nightmare for Isadore?!)

What say you? What spelling do you prefer? Do you like the name at all?

3 Likes

I like [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] more for a son. [name_m]Isadore[/name_m] is too reminiscent of the female name [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] and I can’t disassociate from that.

10 Likes

[name_m]Isidore[/name_m].

2 Likes

I prefer the spelling Isadora vs Isidora on a girl, so to me Isadore seems more natural. I don’t think you’ll have any problems with pronunciation, people are likely to pronounce either spelling the same way. As far as autocorrect goes, you can program the spelling Isadore in your phone and you won’t have that problem anymore. Autocorrect is a jackass anyways, it never gets my name right either. It’s not the end of the world. I think the “or” sound in Isadore makes it perfect for the nickname Rory :relaxed: the nickname Sid makes me think Sid the Sloth from Ice Age. I think Izzy as a nickname would also be cute on a boy, but I like Rory best. I really like the Incubus connection with Isadore, Drive by Incubus is one of my favorite songs. He would have a kickass name if his name was Isadore, it looks more relaxed to me than Isidore, which seems too… fancy. For lack of better word. Adeline Estelle is a beautiful name by the way, and I think Isadore is a perfect name for her brother.

I prefer [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] - but I like the name either way and it works well with your daughter’s name

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] great grandfather was born in [name_f]Italy[/name_f], and eventually moved here with his family. His name was [name_m]Isadore[/name_m] spelt this way! I thought it was the authentic spelling for a big chunk of my life, before I discovered the [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] spelling. I’m not sure why his parents chose to spell it [name_m]Isadore[/name_m], but I personally think it looks nicer. I’m obviously biased here :sweat_smile: but I’ve always thought [name_m]Isadore[/name_m] was so handsome, sweet, friendly, and warm. It feels like such a bright name, so filled with sunshine. I like that it also has that strength to it, like bravery with a bit of edgy coolness. I do think you could still use [name_u]Sid[/name_u] if you wanted, lots of the most common nicknames don’t go with their full names 100% (Jim for [name_u]James[/name_u], etc)

No matter what spelling you go with, I just had to say that [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] & [name_m]Isadore[/name_m] are so incredibly perfect together!! I’m absolutely swooning over the idea of that sibset!

2 Likes

Isidore looks more streamlined and handsome to me.

i prefer isidore by a lot!

[name_m]Isidore[/name_m] feels more natural to me and looks less like is-a-door?

2 Likes

I much prefer the spelling [name_m]Isidore[/name_m]. [name_m]Isadore[/name_m] seems a bit more feminine to me.
[name_m]Isidore[/name_m] is an amazing name though, I always get excited when I hear it!
Xx

1 Like

[name_m]Isidore[/name_m] nn [name_u]Sid[/name_u]! I find that the [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] spelling looks more masculine, perhaps because it’s further from [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_u]Isa[/name_u] in general. That’s what my eyes think!

2 Likes

I love this name either way! I think I’d go for [name_m]Isidore[/name_m], myself.

i like isidore more, it sounds more masculine and it feels like a very classic name with history!

[name_m]Isidore[/name_m] feels much more elderly than [name_f]Isidora[/name_f] (or [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], which, thanks to [name_m]Duncan[/name_m], feels energetic), but it’s also learned and bespectacled. [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] has, surprisingly, been growing on me - mostly due to a pirate character in a comedic TV show who channels the energy of an angry chihuahua and is definitely not the best namesake haha but I digress. [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] is a solid choice, with this spelling. [name_m]Isadore[/name_m] not only looks wrong, I also don’t think that’s the spelling most people would assume. [name_m]Isadore[/name_m] did chart higher than [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] - but neither have charted for decades. Looking at lists of famous Isidore’s and Isadore’s, it’s a fairly even split, so I don’t think [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] would cause a problem.

[name_m]Isidore[/name_m] sounds more masculine to me and is more rooted in history/tradition, so I’d go with that spelling!

Congratulations :tada:

Honestly firstly this is such a dreamy sibling set whichever spelling you go for will be gorgeous as it’s such a dreamy sibling set so eurochic! [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] & Isadore/Isidore feels charming with this distinguished European royalty flair beyond magical.

Anyways moving away from my fan girl moment and onto spelling I prefer [name_m]Isidore[/name_m]. I think [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] looks more streamlined and I think original spellings are always a winner.

Good luck

I’m American and generally prefer American spellings and [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] is my preference since [name_m]Isadore[/name_m] looks too girly. I think it’s a cool but unusual name. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the option for [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] or [name_u]Sid[/name_u] if he likes that with friends.

I prefer [name_m]Isadore[/name_m] unless your family is Spanish speaking, then I think [name_m]Isidor[/name_m] or [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] makes more sense.

[name_m]Isidore[/name_m] is my preference! I am biased because there is a school nearby with the name [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] in it. It is very streamlined and handsome. I feel like it stands out more as its own unique name, whereas the spelling [name_m]Isadore[/name_m] makes me think it’s in the Isabel/Isabella/Isadora family. I don’t think the spelling [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] would be too much of a headache.

I prefer [name_m]Isidore[/name_m]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] looking at the name, I’d assume [name_m]Isadore[/name_m] is a girl.