Spelling/meaning help?

See the results of this poll: Which spelling/meaning?

Respondents: 29 (This poll is closed)

• Ronan (seal) : 26 (90%)
  • Ronin (masterless samurai): 3 (10%)

I like the meaning ‘little seal’ so that would be my choice. But I like the look of either spelling. Is ‘master less samurai’ a meaning you can connect to?

[name_m]Ronan[/name_m] is my preferred spelling. It’s Irish, charming and quirky and has a lot of energy. [name_m]Ronin[/name_m] seems a little trendier to me and it’s over-the-top macho (which is probably why your husband prefers it! :)). What’s wrong with being a little “seal”. It can also be associated with a [name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_m]Seal[/name_m]. Give your husband that information and see if he likes [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] better.

I wouldn’t have thought about the [name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_m]Seal[/name_m] connection. I may have to mention that to him.
And yes, he likes the machoness of [name_m]Ronin[/name_m]. [name_m]Little[/name_m] seal isn’t masculine enough. Plus he’s a huge ninja/samurai fan as well.

I’m no expert in ancient Japan, but isn’t a masterless samurai something that is very shameful? I remember on another board someone was considering this name but backed away from the spelling Ronin because she spent a lot of time in Japan and was worried it would be viewed very negatively there. I would go with Ronan.

Eta: Looks like ‘ronin’ is indeed a negative term. Wikipedia has this to say about it: According to the Bushido Shoshinshu (the Code of the Samurai), a samurai was supposed to commit seppuku (also “hara kiri” — ritual suicide) upon the loss of his master. One who chose not to honor the code was “on his own” and was meant to suffer great shame. The undesirability of r”nin status was mainly a discrimination imposed by other samurai and by daimyo, the feudal lords.