Spelling of Elliott?

My spouse and I have already decided our son will be named [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] and we were discussing possible spelling variations.

Which is the more “masculine” spelling of [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]? [name_u]Elliott[/name_u], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_u]Eliot[/name_u], [name_u]Eliott[/name_u], or even [name_u]Elyot[/name_u]? We threw around the last one, but were unsure if the spelling would be too out there. His middle name will start with a D, if that would make any difference. And we’re open to any and all opinions! Thanks so much!!

• Elliott
  • Elliot
  • Eliot
  • Eliott
  • Elyot

0 voters

100% [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]! It looks the most balanced to me!

I prefer [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] but like [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] almost as much. I’d instinctively pronounce [name_u]Eliot[/name_u] as [name_m]Elio[/name_m] so wouldn’t recommend that, and [name_u]Eliott[/name_u] & [name_u]Elyot[/name_u] just look wrong to me. Also, [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] & [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] are both common and well known so most people would assume it’s one of those.

My favourite is [name_u]Eliot[/name_u], but I think the most “masculine” form would be [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]!

We are currently deciding between [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] and [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] and I love the [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] spelling. I feel like if you use two l’s might as well also use two t’s. It feels most balanced to me. I’m normally not a fan of adding more letters but in this case it just seems to work!

I see people mentioning [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] a lot of here and now I’m wondering if [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] is getting more and more popular. Oh well, I think it’s my husbands favorite and hes extremely picky! I love the name also. I’m in good company :slight_smile:

I agree. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] (feels the most classic) or [name_u]Eliot[/name_u] (for the literary connection) best.

Elliott feels the most “masculine” to me, I suppose, because of the similarity to names like [name_u]Beckett[/name_u], [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_m]Garrett[/name_m], [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], etc.

Elliott feels the most “right” to me every time I write, type, see it.

1 Like

Elliott just feels the most complete to me. I don’t mind [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] either!

1 Like

Elliott, with 2 Ls and 2 Ts, is the most complete looking to me. I find it looks the most well-balanced and the nicest on paper. [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] is the second best from your list, it’s also nice, but I’m not wild about the rest of the spellings

1 Like

I feel exactly the same way as you! [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] has always been my favorite spelling, but [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] is not bad either.

I like [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] best, it just feels neatest to me. [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] is more of a surname spelling to me.