Spelling of Sybilla?

Loving the name [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] at the moment and adoring the nickname Sybbie! But it occured to me that there are different spellings of it and I was wondering which you liked best?

[name_f]Sybilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Sibylla[/name_f]
[name_f]Sibilla[/name_f]

Im torn between [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] and [name_f]Sibylla[/name_f] but what do you guys prefer?

thanks!

I’m not a fan of the [name_f]Sibilla[/name_f] spelling. But I do like [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f]/[name_f]Sibylla[/name_f] equally.

I prefer the [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] spelling.

I prefer [name_f]Sibylla[/name_f] (which is the most common spelling in Scandinavia, I believe).

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f]! (Also really love [name_f]Sybella[/name_f], although I suppose that’s different from what you’re going for?) As for the sih-[name_m]BILL[/name_m]-ah sound–which is how I assume it’s pronounced?–I like [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f]. It just looks more “right” to me, even though I know [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] is the original form, right? [name_f]Sibylla[/name_f] is okay, but it just looks backwards to me.

I like [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] more than [name_f]Sybil[/name_f], but [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] more than [name_f]Sibylla[/name_f]. I know that’s weird but it’s how each looks best to me.

I would pronounce [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] as SIH-bill-ah and [name_f]Sibylla[/name_f] as sih-[name_m]BILL[/name_m]-ah. No idea if that’s right or not, but because [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] begins with [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] which is SIH-bill (or SIH-bul), and [name_f]Sibylla[/name_f], queen of Jerusalem, was pronounced sih-[name_m]BILL[/name_m]-ah in Kingdom of [name_f]Heaven[/name_f] (great character BTW, played by [name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_u]Green[/name_u]). I think [name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] looks prettier but I like the sound and historical reference of [name_f]Sibylla[/name_f] better.

[name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] is the spelling I think of when I hear the name. I used to know a woman with this name and that was how she spelled it.