Spelling of this name?

My husband and I currently have [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] as one of our top two if this little one is a girl. I’m not sure about spelling, though. The only spelling that ranks in the U.S. (where we are) is [name_f]Annalise[/name_f]. While we don’t dislike this spelling, [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] has much more meaning for us because it is the [name_m]German[/name_m] variation. We also just prefer the look of [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f].

If we name her [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], will she constantly be correcting people? Another concern is that [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is traditionally pronounced “ann-uh-LEES-uh” while we would pronounce it “ann-uh-LEES”.

1. If you heard the name [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]/[name_f]Annalise[/name_f] on the playground, how would you think it was spelled?
  2. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you pronounce [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]?
  3. Which spelling would you use?
  4. Thoughts on the name?

[name_f]TIA[/name_f]!

If I was first hearing the name, I would probably think it was spelt [name_f]Annalise[/name_f]. That being said, while you might have to correct people the first time around, I agree that [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is a much prettier spelling. In my opinion, [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] looks like two names combined ([name_f]Anna[/name_f] + lise), while [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] looks complete. Another way to spell [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is [name_f]Annelise[/name_f] - this might be easier to explain/for people to remember, and is the spelling I prefer the most and would use. I absolutely love the name itself though! It has some classic, vintage charm to it without being overused (as in the case of names like [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]). I love the nn [name_f]Anna[/name_f] too! All things considered, I think you should definitely go with the spelling that you prefer the most - especially if it holds special meaning:)

1. I would think [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], because that’s my favourite spelling for tat pronunciation.
  2. [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-uh-LEES.
  3. [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]
  4. I like it, it’s pretty, magical, and has a gorgeous sound.

[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is such a charming and feminine name but doesn’t feel too girly. I would automatically spell it [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f].

1. [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] - it’s my go-to spelling even though the only one I know spells it [name_f]Annelise[/name_f].

2. I pronounce it as you do.

3. [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]

4. It’s a lovely name. Unusual, but still has a timeless, traditional feel. [name_m]Plenty[/name_m] of scope for nice shortenings too.

I know 3 women around the age of 22 with the name currently.

2 spell it [name_f]Annelise[/name_f]
1 spells it [name_f]Analiese[/name_f] (I highly dislike this spelling because of the Anal- at the beginning)

[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is nice, but very long to me. My vote is for [name_f]Annelise[/name_f] or [name_f]Annalise[/name_f]. For [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f], I prefer the simplest version of [name_f]Annabel[/name_f].

My sister is [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] and I love this name, also by far my favorite spelling. She has had people mispronounce it but not very often - most people get the point! LOL

1. If you heard the name [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]/[name_f]Annalise[/name_f] on the playground, how would you think it was spelled? Because of my sister, this would be the way I spelled it but [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] is probably the most intuitive i guess.
  2. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you pronounce [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]? [name_m]Just[/name_m] like you said - “ann-uh-LEES”
  3. Which spelling would you use? [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] - no doubt, I think its so beautiful and elegant and I also love the [name_m]German[/name_m] roots
  4. Thoughts on the name? As you can tell from my above comments, I totally love this name and think its an awesome option, would definitely spell it the [name_m]German[/name_m] way! Another great thing is that there are tons of nicknames for her - [name_f]Anne[/name_f], [name_f]Annie[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], Liesey, etc.

I really like the spelling [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], I think it looks very pretty! While I do think your little girl will frequently have to spell out her name, I don’t think this could be avoided by using the more popular spelling. The reason is, I think [name_f]Annelise[/name_f]/[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]/[name_f]Annalise[/name_f] has so many variations that any girl by that name would have to clarify how it’s spelled in real life. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, just something to know.

I would pronounced your spelling anna-lees. Always. I would never say anna-lees for that spelling. And I happen to much prefer your spelling.

Well in Scandinavian/Germanic languages anneliese is a whole nother name than [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] so if you were to pronounce it like [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-leece it would technically be wrong. Especially if you haveties to Germany where your anneliese would be pronounced like [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-eh-lee-seh which would probably be a bit weird. I do think anneliese is a very pretty looking name and much nicer than [name_f]Annalise[/name_f]!! I would totally go for it if I were you<3

1. [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]
  2. I pronounce it as you do, [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-uh-LEES.
  3. [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]. I much prefer the look of this spelling.
  4. I like it very much.

Whichever spelling you use of this name there will be need to correct people. However this is not a reason not to use it! I have a very common name - the most popular name of the decade I was born in in fact - and it is spelt the usual common way, and it is constantly misspelt and mispronounced. I have a friend with an equally popular straightforward name who finds the same thing. In other words, I think it’s unavoidable and just a part of life.

I feel [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is much more pretty than [name_f]Annaliese[/name_f]. I can’t stand seeing the Anal-like spelling at the beggining of [name_f]Annaliese[/name_f], sorry.

1. [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]
  2. ann-uh-LEES
  3. I would use [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]
  4. I really love [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]. It’s beautiful!
  1. I would think it was spelled [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] or [name_f]Annalise[/name_f].
  2. AN-[name_m]Ah[/name_m]-leese
  3. The original spelling. [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]. I can deal with [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] though, it’s just that the original spelling looks better.
  4. [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is gorgeous! I have it on my list too.
  1. I would probably assume [name_f]Annalise[/name_f], just because it is more common that way.
  2. [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-Uh-Lees. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though my brain goes to [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-Uh-[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-[name_m]Ace[/name_m], and I don’t know why.
  3. [name_f]Annalise[/name_f], maybe? Not sure.
  4. SO elegant and its a for sure on my list. :slight_smile: