Spelling suggestions for middle names

We are still trying to decide between [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] [name_u]Austin[/name_u] and [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_u]Reece[/name_u]. I love them equally for different reasons so waiting for my husband to just decide already!! It’s been so hard. We eliminated [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u] from the list.

But now I’m wondering about middle name spellings while we choose.

[name_m]Marshall[/name_m] [name_u]Austin[/name_u] or [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] - is [name_u]Austen[/name_u] more sophisticated than [name_u]Austin[/name_u] due to the [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] reference and not naming him after a city. Or is [name_u]Austin[/name_u] stronger and looks better? I’m trying to go for sophistication!

Ok and now for the fun [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]/Reece/Reese debate. I am aware [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] is the Welsh authentic spelling and normally I would go for that but something about the [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] spelling hurts my eyes! Like it just looks messy to me. I can see why there are a angelized versions. I was told if I go for an angelized version for a boy I should do [name_u]Reece[/name_u] because [name_u]Reese[/name_u] is feminine due to [name_u]Reese[/name_u] Witherspoon. [name_f]My[/name_f] argument with that is that it’s a surname she changed her name to! So I think its silly you cant use [name_u]Reese[/name_u] for boys. It would be my preference. However I’m aware [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] is also now being used for girls so should I do [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_u]Reece[/name_u]? Is that more masculine than [name_u]Reese[/name_u]? Should I try to embrace the traditional Welsh spelling even though I dont love it - [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]? I know this is one where everyone will have a different opinion but I guess I’m just trying to get a consensus.

Does it not matter at all because these are just middle names? :slight_smile: (I’m guilty of overthinking everything lately). I’m pretty set on the [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] spelling and [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] is one with no spelling variations so thank goodness for that!! Thank you for thinking about this with me!

[name_u]Austin[/name_u]/Austen: I would go with [name_u]Austin[/name_u], unless you are naming him after someone with the surname [name_u]Austen[/name_u]. The -en spelling feels like an unneeded tweak to the typical spelling.

[name_u]Rhys[/name_u]/Reece/Reese: If you like [name_u]Reese[/name_u] best, then us that one! I don’t think an actress having the name makes it feminine at all. [name_m]Plenty[/name_m] of names are unisex now, choose the spelling that feels best to you.

You are overthinking, but we’re all guilty of it at some point :smile:

1 Like

If you’re going for sophistication, I think [name_u]Austen[/name_u] is the way to go!
I prefer [name_u]Reese[/name_u] overall, but I feel like [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] looks slicker in the middle spot.

1 Like

Austen/Austin: I definitely prefer the Austen spelling.

Rhys/Reese/Reece: Rhys is my personal favourite, but I like Reese the best for you and it sounds like that’s your favourite as well. Reece looks more feminine to me than Reese does.

You’re definitely overthinking :slight_smile: Just go with the spelling that you want. Like PP said, so many names are unisex now and the spelling doesn’t really change that since they sound exactly the same.

I personally prefer the [name_u]Austen[/name_u] spelling, I like the literary connection! I would only use [name_u]Austin[/name_u] if the place had significant meaning to you!

Rhys is my favorite spelling of the name, but I don’t think you should use a name you don’t love! [name_u]Reese[/name_u] is perfectly fine if that’s the spelling you like best. I don’t see why you can’t use it just because an actress shares the name! There are a lot of unisex names, and they can be used by any gender! I don’t think it should matter if some people view the spelling as more feminine (which is silly to begin with!), because there’s nothing wrong with being feminine anyway!! I’m not a fan myself of the [name_u]Reece[/name_u] spelling, it just seems wrong to me. Almost like a typo! I think you should use the spelling you love most though, as that’s all that matters!

Both names you’ve chosen are lovely, by the way! I especially love [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_u]Reese[/name_u] - so handsome!
Good luck!!

Austen and [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] have my votes. We know a little Aust?n and I can never recall which way his name is spelled. For some reason, I find this variation super tricky to remember correctly.

Thank you! Excited to hear people saying I can just use [name_u]Reese[/name_u]!

Interesting about [name_u]Austen[/name_u]! I had only ever thought [name_u]Austin[/name_u] but I got to wondering last night if [name_u]Austen[/name_u] was more sophisticated. Funny how one letter can change the vibe of a name.

Elliott [name_u]Reece[/name_u] is my favourite and I prefer the look and associations of [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] [name_u]Austen[/name_u].

Go with the spelling you most like for [name_u]Reece[/name_u] - there’s no reason why it couldnt be used on boys

Austin/Austen - for me, [name_u]Austin[/name_u] feels more like a name to me than just the association with [name_u]Austin[/name_u], TX. That being said, if you’re a big [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] fan and have no connection to [name_u]Austin[/name_u] the city that might be a nice nod in the name choice. However, I would assume that someone was a big [name_u]Austen[/name_u] fan if they used that spelling.

Rhys/Reece/Reese - I agree with you about [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]. I want to like it because it’s the original Welsh spelling but there’s something about it that makes me wary of using it. As for [name_u]Reece[/name_u] or [name_u]Reese[/name_u], I do slightly prefer [name_u]Reece[/name_u] on a boy and [name_u]Reese[/name_u] on a girl, but I wouldn’t choose [name_u]Reece[/name_u] because I wanted it to look more masculine. [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_u]Reece[/name_u] and [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_u]Reese[/name_u] are both unisex choices that I think would fit a little boy well and especially since it’s in the middle I would just choose the spelling I liked the best.

I have to think about this because I’m not like a huge [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] fan per say, nothing against her work! But I am a literature fan in general. I guess I’m really okay with either spelling [name_u]Austin[/name_u] or [name_u]Austen[/name_u].

I think I will just go with [name_u]Reese[/name_u]. I was told [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_u]Reese[/name_u] is a girl name now but I dont think I agree with that. [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] has a long history of being a boy name. And [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] is also historically masculine – just [name_u]Reese[/name_u] is an angelized spelling.

Austen is my preference because of [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u], but both are sophisticated enough!

On [name_u]Rhys[/name_u], my typical preference is often the authentic spelling but 1. I despise the ACOTAR character (totally ruins the spelling for me even though I like it) and 2. [name_u]Reese[/name_u] has enough use to be a legitimate spelling. [name_f]My[/name_f] vote goes to [name_u]Reese[/name_u], it’s definitely masculine enough!

1 Like

Austin/Austen - IMO, [name_u]Austin[/name_u] looks like a first name and [name_u]Austen[/name_u] looks like a surname. The [name_u]Austen[/name_u] spelling is a nice way of honouring your love for [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] or maybe if [name_u]Austen[/name_u] is a surname in your family, but if neither of those apply I’d go for [name_u]Austin[/name_u].

Rhys/Reece/Reese - You clearly love [name_u]Reese[/name_u] the best, so go with your heart!

Apart from [name_u]Reece[/name_u]/Reese, I pronounce all these names differently! [name_u]Austin[/name_u] is oss-tin, [name_u]Austen[/name_u] is oss-ten (although you might pronounce these the same in your accent). [name_u]Reece[/name_u]/Reese is reess, [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] has a rolled r, which I’m not too sure how to write, but it sounds a bit like a motorbike if that makes sense.

I personally prefer [name_u]Austen[/name_u]. The points you gave in favour of [name_u]Austin[/name_u] (stronger, looks better), in my opinion, don’t really apply.

Although I like the [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] spelling best, it’s obvious that you don’t. I see no reason for [name_u]Reese[/name_u] to be ‘too feminine’, so I say you should go with that.

I really like [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] [name_u]Austen[/name_u]. [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] is a link to Eminem, although many people won’t know that or care. To me, Eminem has a sort of redemption arc to his life, so that’s cool.
[name_u]Austen[/name_u] makes the name literary, and I like that a lot. Good job!

Elliott [name_u]Reese[/name_u] is lovely, and I definitely still assume most Elliotts are boys. I would probably go with [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] [name_u]Austin[/name_u]. [name_u]Austen[/name_u] seems like an unnecessary change to me.

But overall, if you’re going for sophistication, I would definitely choose [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_u]Reese[/name_u]! It’s lovely and [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] [name_u]Austin[/name_u] seems very country to me. I picture him in a photo holding up the fish he just caught.

Marshall [name_u]Austin[/name_u] is a little country sounding, I agree. This is why I was I was wondering if the spelling [name_u]Austen[/name_u] makes it a little more literary. But it could be a needless tweak. I dont have a problem with country sounding to a degree. [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u] was also on our list. And [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] is actually pretty versatile with references of Eminem (although he is not the namesake here and I’m not a fan although I think hes talented. I dont care about the reference to him and I dont think most people do or will in future generations). Its also a brand name for amplifiers. Most people also think of [name_m]How[/name_m] I Met Your Mother- which I dont mind as I liked that character. The name actually means one who tends to (or loves) horses. I love this! [name_f]My[/name_f] dad was also [name_m]Martin[/name_m] so I feel like the [name_f]Mar[/name_f] part is an honor name. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband chose [name_u]Austin[/name_u]. I actually think of a hunky soap opera character when I hear the name [name_u]Austin[/name_u]. I dont mind it - it me its strong and handsome! I wanted [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] [name_m]Breccan[/name_m] but [name_m]Breccan[/name_m] was quickly vetoed! I was also told that one sounded really country too even though [name_m]Breccan[/name_m] is an Irish name!

Elliott [name_u]Reese[/name_u] is just pure perfection and sophistication to me. I was surprised my husband liked it though honestly. He vetoed [name_u]Elias[/name_u] which I thought was more modern. I think i will just spell it [name_u]Reese[/name_u] if we use it! Thank you for the feedback on that!! I feel much better about just going for [name_u]Reese[/name_u].

Still no final decision and I’m still debating [name_u]Austin[/name_u]/Austen now! But this has been really helpful!!

1 Like

I like [name_u]Reece[/name_u] for a boy and I think [name_u]Austen[/name_u] spelling would be refreshing.