Spelling: Traditional or Not...?

This is basically how I feel about my name too. It’s amusing more than annoying, and I’m thankful that I have a different name even if it means spelling it out all the time. I took hubby’s surname and it’s unique too, and I love it when people see my whole name and go “wow that’s cool!” :grin:

1 Like

I think Australia is pretty diverse and there’s definitely both kinds of people where I live. I know a [name_f]Siobhan[/name_f], a [name_f]Sorcha[/name_f], and a [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] (although they pronounce it “nee-ma”, which annoys me no end… don’t know how they got that!) :person_shrugging: But then I also know someone that thought [name_f]Siobhan[/name_f] was spelled “Shivaughn” :flushed::person_facepalming:

2 Likes

I prefer the traditional spelling. Mostly because when I see [name_f]Keva[/name_f], I immediately think of Teva, the sandal brand. [name_f]Caoimhe[/name_f] looks really pretty and ‘complete’.

2 Likes

I really do prefer the name [name_f]Caoimhe[/name_f]- it just looks better to me and I’m familiar with it. It’s just got a lovely spark to it and I wouldn’t necessarily relate [name_f]Keva[/name_f] to the same name. If I anglicized it I would go with [name_u]Keeva[/name_u] though because I might see [name_f]Keva[/name_f] as [name_m]Kev[/name_m]-uh.

1 Like