Spellings

There’s another topic on this, and I thought it was a great idea! So pick your favorite spellings, then say why you prefer them. I tried to keep them all legitimate alternate spellings, and all of them are names I’d consider using. [name]Feel[/name] free to pick your own favorite spelling. So here’s the list:

[name]Callum[/name] v. [name]Calum[/name]
[name]Sana[/name] v. [name]Sanna[/name] v. [name]Sanne[/name] (Pronounced SAH-na)
[name]Elisabeth[/name] v. [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name] v. [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name] v. [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Amadeo[/name] v. [name]Amedeo[/name]
[name]Noemi[/name] v. [name]Noemie[/name]
[name]Caoimhe[/name] v. [name]Kiva[/name] (KEE-va)
[name]Ciaran[/name] v. [name]Kieran[/name] ([name]KEER[/name]-an)
[name]Rhys[/name] v. [name]Reece[/name] ([name]REESE[/name])
[name]Nico[/name] v. [name]Niko[/name] (NEE-ko)
[name]Jesenia[/name] v. [name]Yesenia[/name] ([name]Both[/name] pronounced ya-[name]SEN[/name]-ee-a)
[name]Kerensa[/name] v. [name]Kerenza[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] v. [name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Mariel[/name] v. [name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Teresa[/name] v. [name]Theresa[/name]

Interesting mix of names! I prefer:

[name]Callum[/name], probably because it’s the only way I’ve seen it spelled before. It looks more complete to me.
[name]Sanne[/name], because I had a friend from Germany with this name and thought it was nice even though its spelling isn’t necessarily intuitive to an American.
[name]Elizabeth[/name], because it just looks stronger to me.
[name]Catherine[/name], because I don’t really love K names.
[name]Sophia[/name], because it looks more complete to me.
[name]Amadeo[/name], I guess, but I’m not sure why.
[name]Noemie[/name], because it reminds me less of [name]Naomi[/name] than the former, and I like the French pronunciation better.
[name]Caoimhe[/name], because I really like traditional Gaelic names and how they’re spelled. I think they look interesting and even if the person has to spell their name over and over for people, it at least has a legitimate reason behind its spelling rather than supposed creativity.
[name]Ciaran[/name], see above.
[name]Rhys[/name], because it doesn’t remind me of chocolate or [name]Reece[/name] Witherspoon.
[name]Nico[/name], but I’m not sure why.
[name]Jesenia[/name], because despite its pronunciation, I don’t really like that the name starts with the word “yes.”
[name]Kerenza[/name], I guess, if they’re pronounced the same way. I’ve never heard this name before.
[name]Juliet[/name], definitely, because the extra letters seem unnecessary to me. This name is so beautiful and it doesn’t need anything else.
[name]Mariel[/name], see above.
[name]Theresa[/name], just because I’ve seen it more this way and it just sort of looks nicer to me.

You know what I realized? I don’t know if this makes much sense, but in terms of spelling a lot of times I sort of judge a name by the color it makes me think about. Sometimes one letter in a name has a distinct “color” that throws off the color of the whole name and makes it less aesthetically pleasing. Like [name]Elizabeth[/name] vs. [name]Elisabeth[/name]…the ‘s’ makes the name seem red to me, when I think of purple when I think of the name [name]Elizabeth[/name]. So it doesn’t “look” right to me.

So that is what a lot of my answers are based on, I guess. Or maybe I just shouldn’t be thinking about this at 2 in the morning, lol.

[name]Callum[/name] v. [name]Calum[/name]- definitely [name]Callum[/name]. Looks more classic.
[name]Sana[/name] v. [name]Sanna[/name] v. [name]Sanne[/name] (Pronounced SAH-na), [name]Sanna[/name] because it is the only one that makes me say it the way you described.
[name]Elisabeth[/name] v. [name]Elizabeth[/name]- [name]Elizabeth[/name] because I like [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Liz[/name].
[name]Catherine[/name] v. [name]Katherine[/name]-[name]Katherine[/name], like [name]Kate[/name], [name]Katie[/name] and Kick as nns.
[name]Sofia[/name] v. [name]Sophia[/name]-Either really: just different feelings
[name]Amadeo[/name] v. [name]Amedeo[/name]-[name]Amadeo[/name], don’t know why.
[name]Noemi[/name] v. [name]Noemie[/name]-[name]Noemi[/name] definitely. Extra e’s always through me.
[name]Caoimhe[/name] v. [name]Kiva[/name]-[name]Caoimhe[/name], like the original spelling
[name]Ciaran[/name] v. [name]Kieran[/name]- [name]Ciaran[/name] looks nicer with the C need the i.
[name]Rhys[/name] v. [name]Reece[/name]-[name]Rhys[/name] is better for a boy i think.
[name]Nico[/name] v. [name]Niko[/name]-actually I like [name]Nicco[/name] best. But of the two, [name]Nico[/name].
[name]Jesenia[/name] v. [name]Yesenia[/name] ([name]Both[/name] pronounced ya-[name]SEN[/name]-ee-a) [name]Yesenia[/name] makes me say it the way you want.
[name]Kerensa[/name] v. [name]Kerenza[/name]-I like the z. adds spunk.
[name]Juliet[/name] v. [name]Juliette[/name]-[name]Juliet[/name] definitely because of [name]Shakespeare[/name] I think
[name]Mariel[/name] v. [name]Marielle[/name]-[name]Mariel[/name], looks less saccharine
[name]Teresa[/name] v. [name]Theresa[/name]-[name]Theresa[/name] is gorgeous!

Fun, fun, fun!

Let’s see…
[name]Callum[/name] vs. [name]Calum[/name], I prefer [name]Callum[/name].
[name]Sana[/name]/[name]Sanna[/name]/[name]Sanne[/name] - I have never heard this name before, so I have no idea which I prefer! I think the A at the end reminds me too much of [name]Santa[/name], so I think I prefer [name]Sanne[/name]. :slight_smile:
[name]Elisabeth[/name] vs. [name]Elizabeth[/name] - I love them both! I suppose I like [name]Elisabeth[/name] the most.
[name]Catherine[/name] vs. [name]Katherine[/name] - Again, I love them both. I honestly can’t choose!
[name]Sofia[/name] vs. [name]Sophia[/name] - [name]Both[/name], but I just love “ph” names, so I choose [name]Sophia[/name].
[name]Amadeo[/name] vs. [name]Amedeo[/name] - [name]Amadeo[/name], because this is how I first saw the name in The Vampire [name]Armand[/name].
[name]Noemi[/name] vs. [name]Noemie[/name] - Honestly, I’m not a fan of either… but I guess [name]Noemie[/name]?
[name]Caoimhe[/name] vs. [name]Kiva[/name] - oh gods, Irish names and their spellings… I’m not even going to touch this one, lol. I mean, I think [name]Caoimhe[/name] looks better but I would never intuitively pronounce it as [name]Kiva[/name].
[name]Ciaran[/name] vs. [name]Kieran[/name] - [name]Kieran[/name], I suppose, simply because [name]Ciaran[/name] looks a lot like [name]Ciara[/name]. :wink:
[name]Rhys[/name] vs. [name]Reece[/name] - [name]Rhys[/name], definitely.
[name]Nico[/name] vs. [name]Niko[/name] - Either one. I guess I like [name]Nico[/name] a teensy bit more. (Maybe because [name]Niko[/name] is too close to [name]Nike[/name]?)
[name]Jesenia[/name] vs. [name]Yesenia[/name] - [name]Yesenia[/name]. Too many people would pronounce it with the [name]Jay[/name] sound.
[name]Kerensa[/name] vs. [name]Kerenza[/name] - Either one, they’re both very pretty.
[name]Juliet[/name] vs. [name]Juliette[/name] - Once again, it’s a tie! I like the streamlined version, but [name]Juliette[/name] is so lovely and French~
[name]Mariel[/name] vs. [name]Marielle[/name] - Either. I would probably pronounce them a bit differently though, one like [name]MAR[/name]-iel and the other like [name]Mari[/name]-[name]ELLE[/name].
[name]Teresa[/name] vs. [name]Theresa[/name] - [name]Theresa[/name].

Spellings and pronunciations depend alot on one’s personal preference and cultural background as well as what type of image you have trying to convey with your child’s name.

[name]Callum[/name] vs. [name]Calum[/name], I prefer [name]Callum[/name].
[name]Sana[/name]/[name]Sanna[/name]/[name]Sanne[/name] - I like [name]Sanna[/name] the best.
[name]Elisabeth[/name] vs. [name]Elizabeth[/name] - [name]Both[/name] are ok although [name]Elizabeth[/name] is the more traditional spelling and one which can have the spunky nn of [name]Eliza[/name]. [name]Elisabeth[/name] is the French version and seems softer somehow.
[name]Catherine[/name] vs. [name]Katherine[/name] - [name]Catherine[/name] is the traditional spelling (eg [name]Saint[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] of [name]Siena[/name]) but the “K” spellings are much more popular. Personally, I like the spelling [name]Katharine[/name] like the late actress [name]Katharine[/name] Hepburn.
[name]Sofia[/name] vs. [name]Sophia[/name] - [name]Sofia[/name] is French/Italian but I like the more popular [name]Sophia[/name].
[name]Amadeo[/name] vs. [name]Amedeo[/name] - Definitely [name]Amadeo[/name] which is Italian for [name]Amadeus[/name].
[name]Noemi[/name] vs. [name]Noemie[/name] - [name]Noemi[/name] is Spanish and [name]Noemie[/name] is the French spelling and I prefer this name with the extra “E” at the end.
[name]Caoimhe[/name] vs. [name]Kiva[/name] - Irish names and their spellings are sometimes quite difficult but if you’re going to go the Celtic way, go all the way. [name]Caoimhe[/name] is the true name and is pronounced "Kee-va. [name]Kiva[/name] looks more Russian.
[name]Ciaran[/name] vs. [name]Kieran[/name] - [name]Ciaran[/name] is the more traditional Irish spelling.
[name]Rhys[/name] vs. [name]Reece[/name] - [name]Rhys[/name] for boys and [name]Reece[/name] for girls.
[name]Nico[/name] vs. [name]Niko[/name] - [name]Nico[/name] for sure
[name]Jesenia[/name] vs. [name]Yesenia[/name] - My Spanish is rusty but I would pronounce [name]Jesenia[/name] with an “H” sound (eg. hay-say-nee-ah). I prefer this spelling over [name]Yesenia[/name].
[name]Kerensa[/name] vs. [name]Kerenza[/name] - This Cornish name is normally spelled with a “z”.
[name]Juliet[/name] vs. [name]Juliette[/name] - One is the Shakespearean spelling and the other is French. [name]Both[/name] are lovely.
[name]Mariel[/name] vs. [name]Marielle[/name] - The French version [name]Marielle[/name] would have a different pronunication than [name]Mariel[/name] ([name]MAR[/name]-iel versus [name]Mari[/name]-[name]ELLE[/name]). I believe actress [name]Mariel[/name] [name]Hemingway[/name] was named after a place in [name]Cuba[/name] which would make it Spanish.
[name]Teresa[/name] vs. [name]Theresa[/name] - I have always liked the spelling [name]Theresa[/name] better even though the “h” is silent. The Spanish/Italian version [name]Teresa[/name] is pronounced (tay-ray-sa).

I feel some clarifications are in order.
[name]Kiva[/name], [name]Reece[/name], and [name]Kieran[/name] are aglicized forms of Gaelic names meant to make the difficult pronunciations more obvious.
[name]Sana[/name] is pronounced the same as, but unrelated to, [name]Sanna[/name] and [name]Sanne[/name], which are forms of [name]Susanna[/name].
Y/[name]Jesenia[/name] come from the flower name [name]Jessenia[/name]. The name was popularized by a character ([name]Yesenia[/name] spelling) on a telenovela.
[name]Nic[/name]/ko is a nickname for various names, hence the many spellings.
[name]Kerensa[/name] is the original form, [name]Kerenza[/name] is a variant.
The rest are variants of each other in different languages.

[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Sanna[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Amadeo[/name]
[name]Noemie[/name]
[name]Kiva[/name]
[name]Kieran[/name]
[name]Rhys[/name] (b), [name]Reece[/name] (g)
[name]Niko[/name]
[name]Yesenia[/name]
[name]Kerensa[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Theresa[/name]

Mine:
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Sana[/name]- most intuitive pronunciation to me
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name]- looks softer
[name]Sofia[/name] on its own, but [name]Sophia[/name] with certain middle names. Like, I prefer [name]Sofia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] to [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Claire[/name], but I like [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Noemi[/name] more than [name]Sofia[/name] [name]Noemi[/name]. Which is weird. And I don’t like the look of either spelling on paper at all, but it’s one of my favorite names.
[name]Amedeo[/name]- for Modigliani.
[name]Noemi[/name]
[name]Caoimhe[/name]- probably would be horrible to live with, but [name]Kiva[/name] takes away all of its grace.
[name]Kieran[/name]- for some reason, this anglicization bothers me less than [name]Kiva[/name].
[name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Nico[/name]- I hate k’s
[name]Jesenia[/name]
[name]Kerensa[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name]- [name]Juliet[/name] looks too brief to me.
[name]Marielle[/name]- ditto [name]Juliette[/name].
[name]Teresa[/name]