Spencer Webb's widow

So apparently college football star [name_u]Spencer[/name_u] Webb’s girlfriend just had their son and his name is Spider. Spider was his nickname, but I still feel weird about it? Like how is it honoring his father to give him a name he’ll be ridiculed for having? She is the same age as I am, which for one irks me, but I am 22 so I guess it’s not that weird. I just think it’s a weird way to honor someone by naming your child their nickname when that nickname is a pun. The poor kid is going to grow up with an immature mother, no father, and a terrible name. Yikes

Ahhh I think your being a bit harsh :woman_facepalming:t3:

I actually have no idea who [name_u]Spencer[/name_u] [name_m]Webb[/name_m] is but it’s terribly sad that he is passed away leaving clearly a partner who clearly loved him dearly and a baby boy.

Spider isn’t my cup of tea and with the surname [name_m]Webb[/name_m] (if that’s the surname) it’s a lot however there is a wide variety of names out there nowadays and in my opinion he does feel in keeping with the likes of [name_u]Bear[/name_u] & [name_u]Fox[/name_u]. Also Spider does honour his father because that’s was his father’s nickname. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad is known as ‘Rambo’ I wouldn’t personally choose to honour my dad through his nickname [name_m]Rambo[/name_m] but I know my brother [name_u]Billy[/name_u] liked the idea of using [name_m]Rambo[/name_m] as a middle name to honour him which my dad liked. We really don’t know how [name_u]Spencer[/name_u] [name_m]Webb[/name_m] would have felt about Spider as tribute to him. I also think naming is a personal choice as long as the name doesn’t appropriate a persons culture or cause offence to anyone we should be slightly more accepting of someone’s choice. I think brandishing the mother as ‘immature’ and making out this little boy is going to have a terrible life is very harsh. But that’s just my opinion and I do agree Spider isn’t my cup of tea.

14 Likes

So, name you don’t like = immature and unfit parent?

Spider isn’t my style either but it won’t ruin his life. [name_m]Plenty[/name_m] of people have word names and not have any problems. It was clearly a meaningful choice for the mother so why should we judge. I’m pretty sure she didn’t intentionally try to ruin the kid’s life (also what does her being 22 have to do with this? She’s not a child.)

12 Likes

While I dislike the name, I think it’s wildly inappropriate to criticize this grieving mother for her age, call her immature, and imply the child will have a bad upbringing because of her.

And as tori101 pointed out, it’s pretty clear how Spider is an honour name, regardless of my opinions on it.

15 Likes

I think if North West has managed well with her name; and Nick Cannon’s dozen are fairing well with names like Golden Cannon and Powerful Cannon (none of these being nicknames) then Spider Webb really isn’t all as doomed as you may be thinking. It’s not what I would have chosen but this wasn’t my baby to name so who am I to be THAT sort of critical.

2 Likes

I do think the name is too much. It’s obvious she let grief cloud her judgement, but to be fair, I think anyone who finds out they’re pregnant shortly after losing their partner would. Personally I don’t think children should be named after their parent (at least first name, an honoring middle is fine) when the parent has passed away just because I think that’s a lot to put on a child, and I feel that way regardless of if the name is Spider or [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. Truthfully I think I’d be more open to the name Spider in general if the last name wasn’t [name_m]Webb[/name_m], but I just don’t like pun names at all.

1 Like

I do find this interesting because I don’t think it s rare for it to happen. My forth thought was if Bachelorette Emily Maynard who found out she was expecting right after her fiancé died and named her daughter Ricki after him. Looking at it it looks like Ricki is in the middle spot but I’ve only ever heard her referenced as such. I do wonder how kids who have such a namesake handle it in the long run.

2 Likes

I’m confused, why does her being 22 irk you?

2 Likes