Spin this name for me!

Hello! One of my favorite names right now is [name]Claudia[/name]. I think it is fun and spunky while still having sophistication and depth. My one problem with it, however, is that it means “lame”. Is there any way to spin this meaning so it is good? I have been trying, and haven’t come up with anything, which makes me very sad. I would like to keep it as a possibility for my next daughter, but cannot keep it on the list if I can’t spin the meaning!

Thanks so much!

For me, I wouldn’t worry so much about what the name means. Really, how many times when you introduce your baby girl, will someone say “oh, what does [name]Claudia[/name] mean?” If you love the name, you stick with it, no matter the meaning behind it. If my baby (due in two months) is a boy, his name will be [name]Cameron[/name], because my DH and I [name]LOVE[/name] the name and the short form of [name]Cam[/name]. And [name]Cameron[/name] means ‘crooked nose’. LOL But I still love the name, so whatever :slight_smile:

Emperor [name]Claudius[/name] and [name]Saint[/name] [name]Claudia[/name] are worthy namesakes you could focus on. Another thing could be to balance it out with a middle name that means ‘healthy’. [name]Claudia[/name] [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Claudia[/name] [name]Valentine[/name], or [name]Claudia[/name] [name]Samina[/name] are very pretty.

Well we’re kind of in the same boat! My number one name is [name]Claudie[/name], the French variation of [name]Claudie[/name] with the same awful meaning. It bothered me in the beginning but now I’m over it. Like the previous poster mentioned, I’ve read a lot about some amazing [name]Claudia[/name]'s in history (and a [name]Claudie[/name] - scientist) who were all anything but “lame” so that’s all I well tell my daughter about.

Another way I’m spinning it, though it’s a little far fetched, is that after already falling in love with the name we discovered that my partner’s late grandmothers name [name]Gladys[/name], is a Welsh variation of [name]Claudia[/name] so now we’re taking it that [name]Claudie[/name] is going to be named after [name]Gladys[/name]. And [name]Gladys[/name] comes from Gwlad which is the Welsh word for country…so yes, far fetched I know but who cares! It just goes to prove that names and their meanings are evolving all the time.

And lastly, as some other people have mentioned, I’m just making sure her middle names will have the most beautiful meanings ever. For example, one combo I’m considering is [name]Claudie[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Enid[/name] where “[name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Enid[/name]” would mean bright shining soul. I’ve also considered [name]Valentina[/name] [name]Enid[/name], meaning “strong, healthy soul” and [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Enid[/name] “wise soul”. I think all these meanings are so positive they would balance out the negative meaning of [name]Claudie[/name]/[name]Claudia[/name]. Maybe you could do something similar? Or find a namesake you admire in history or modern times so that when your daughter asks about her name, you can tell her about them instead of it’s meaning.

Good luck: :slight_smile:

Thanks for the thoughts! I will give your suggestions a try - hopefully I’ll be able to reconcile the meaning of the name and my love of the name itself! ljandrl - thanks for ideas for middle names or namesakes. I will do some due diligence and see if there’s someone I can come up with.

Thanks for your help!