Spinoff: "Easily Tease-able" Names

As a [name_f]Heather[/name_f] from Iowa, I was occasionally called “Heifer.” THankfully, I didn’t really have a weight issue so it wasn’t really hurtful. And, I’m pretty sure no one is solidly out-of-fashion for current babies.

To further explain, what we call a bin, Americans call a ‘trash can’.

I think you can probably make anything out of any name if you really want to. I remember calling my friend [name_f]Rebekah[/name_f]/Bekah buck-aaaah like the noise a chicken makes. :oops: It did annoy her.

I think anything super connected to a movie star or celebrity is easily tease-able. Especially if they don’t have the greatest reputation. There’s a difference between using [name_f]Meryl[/name_f] or [name_f]Jolie[/name_f] and using [name_f]Miley[/name_f] or Kardashian.

I have a friend named N@zi who got teased sometimes. It was pronounced nah-zee, with a long A, though of course people would get it wrong and she was so embarrassed. :frowning: She was born overseas and has lived in a few countries other than [name_f]Canada[/name_f] so I guess it wasn’t offensive/bad there, they probably had a different word for it. People would make fun of her by calling her N@zi Germany (which I think is distasteful more than actually mean). She ended up changing the spelling to N@@zi, partly to help people say it right. She thought of changing her name to something completely different (she considered [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] at one point) but didn’t.

[name_u]Haven[/name_u]'t seen [name_f]Fanny[/name_f]/[name_f]Franny[/name_f] mentioned yet.
However, my name is [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and I had nasty poems about my name in primary school… I think any rhyming name is potentially tease- able as well!

[name_m]Colin[/name_m], because of how it is spelled, not pronounced, so close to colon (and I have seen is spelled that way too)

I can’t believe no one has mentioned [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] because anytime I mention liking the name people freak out, lol:-)

It depends on where you live I guess. Several of the names mentioned before do not strike me as being “tease-worthy”.

Some names have meanings which are possibly unpleasant or embarrassing in other languages. One example is [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], which is a slang term for masturbation in Italian, and a slang term for intercourse in Swedish. (However, I still like that name.)

[name_m]Titus[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] (I love this name, but obesity does run in my husband’s family. :frowning: )

Braxton/Braxtyn
Melena
Brayden
names strongly associated with a character/type of person (e.g. Katniss, ‘stripper names’)
there are many others I’ve seen/heard but it’s really annoying because I can’t remember any more right now

I personally feel place names have significant teasing potential, but maybe that’s just me

I met a girl named [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] once, and while I like the name, everyone immediately did a double take and asked, “like pancakes?”

Violent [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is the first thing I think of when I hear [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] - [name_f]Lorey[/name_f]-is-a-liar pops into my head when I hear this name (I prn [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] - [name_f]Lore[/name_f]-a-lie)
[name_m]Aston[/name_m] - Ass-tin

Someone mention [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] …It meams exactly this in Greece & when i hear it on a baby name i laugh ( no offend to anyone :slight_smile: )

[name_m]Beckett[/name_m] makes me immediately think of bucket

I love [name_f]Iona[/name_f] but sounds like “I own a…” in an American accent

[name_f]Honor[/name_f]- I’ve heard others say this sounds like “On her” as in, “I got on her”, which is a pity it’s a beautiful name

I love [name_f]Hope[/name_f] but it rhymes with so many words, primarily dope, mope, etc.

[name_m]Angus[/name_m]- take out the g

[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]- rhymes with mucus

I would love to use [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] but I live in the [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_f]England[/name_f] region of the US where Dunkin Donuts or “Dunkies” are seriously everywhere, despite the recent blog of [name_f]Pam[/name_f] and [name_f]Linda[/name_f]'s favorite names saying Dunkin Donuts should not deter you from using this name, I’d have to say the majority of the people I know would associate it with the ubiquitous donut chain

[name_f]Leia[/name_f] - lay-her. Same with [name_f]Alaya[/name_f] (and the variations)
[name_f]Ima[/name_f] - depending on the surname
[name_f]Iona[/name_f] - I have a friend who wants to call his future daughter this, his surname is Cox.

I used to get called [name_f]Fanny[/name_f] a lot as a kid (fn [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f].)
I’m British so it is neither cute nor funny here

I had a classmate named [name_u]Si[/name_u]-do-re-la. No I’m not kidding.
[name_m]Add[/name_m] to that the fact that very few people liked her, and obviously she got teased a lot.
She also had the nickname of “Vegetable”, but I don’t remember why.

Here’s some info about the noun “dag” (from Wikipedia):

“Originally a word meaning the dried faeces left dangling from the wool on a sheep’s rear end,[4] the word dag is more commonly used in colloquial Australian English to refer to someone’s unfashionable, often eccentric or idiosyncratic style or demeanor together with poor social skills and amusing manner.[5]”

[name_f]Dagmar[/name_f] probably wouldn’t work very well in Australia, and perhaps [name_m]New[/name_m] Zealand. The adjective is “daggy” (e.g., “That outfit is really daggy” = unfashionable).

I’m really happy to see that no one mentioned [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. My mom talked me out of naming my daughter [name_f]Luna[/name_f] because she said she’d get teased with “Looney”. :confused: I can’t help but still love the name though.

I’m surprised no one said [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] too.

I like [name_u]Landry[/name_u] but my husband immediately said “like Laundry?” Lol so that’s out :slight_smile:

Also, I like [name_m]Zane[/name_m] but it reminds me of insane and like the other poster said I loved [name_f]Luna[/name_f] but it’s too similar to lunatic. :frowning: