Starting a 4 month old EBF baby on occasional formula?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] mamas! My son [name_m]Simon[/name_m] will be 5 months old on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and is exclusively breastfed. I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] breastfeeding, but I don’t make enough milk to feed him and pump for storage- which means i am the only one who can feed him. I currently take him to work with me (I’m a nanny), but now that he is older I have been thinking about leaving him home with Daddy once a week. Have any of you been able to introduce formula without your baby going on a nursing strike? I am terrified that once he tastes formula, he won’t want to breastfeed anymore!

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips/I’ve been there’s you can give!

I had planned on exclusively breastfeeding but didn’t produce enough, so about two weeks in we had to start supplementing with formula. My daughter never had a problem switching between the two. Didn’t matter if it was straight from the breast, breast milk in a bottle or formula, she would drink it. That being said, I have a friend who’s daughter is about six months younger than mine and she had a hard time adjusting to taking breast milk from a bottle once my friend went back to work and her baby was in daycare. So really, I think it just depends on the child and you won’t know how your child will react until you try. Good luck!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], I mixed fed from two weeks - breast, express and formula. My son had no problems switching whatsoever between the two. If you feel ready to introduce a bottle or need to for whatever reason then I would say just try her with one - she may reject it but I think it’s unlikely and you won’t know til you give it a go. Good luck, I’m sure she will be fine. Great job getting to 4 months EBF! :slight_smile:

I have been exclusively breastfeeding (pumping and leaving milk with the daycare provider for bottle feeding) for about 5 1/2 months. My daughter will be 6 months on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]! My supply is starting to decrease, and I am worried about having to start giving formula. I have some stored in the freezer, but with her eating more and me producing less, it is inevitable. With my first daughter, she got formula at a much younger age, around 2 months, and never had a problem with it.

My second daughter is much more finicky about things (drinking from bottles, strangers) so I am worried, too, about the formula. But I am worried for the opposite reason, I am afraid she won’t want the formula because breast milk tastes so much better! I really have no advice to give you, just having a similar experience. I hope I never have to do the formula thing, but I feel like it is going to happen. I hope it works out for you and he will switch back and forth with ease!

I did the same with my baby around 4 months. My husband fed him the first formula bottle to reduce confusion. At first my son was like “You’re kidding with this, right?” Like the previous poster, I was worried he would have nothing to do with it. I think formula smells terrible, and I’m sure breast milk tastes better. After two or three tries he gobbled it up. And he nursed too just fine. We did one bottle a day at first and my supply remained fine. It allowed me to continue to breastfeed because I was on the verge of giving up before!

Thanks, ladies! We tried out formula yesterday and the first two sips were spit right in DH’s face(!), but we tried again an hour later and he drank 5 ounces! I nursed him after a long nap and he was completely fine. Phew! Worried a lot for nothing! Guess that’s what being a Mama is, though, right?

Thanks for the update! It gives me hope that my little one will take it, too.

Good to hear!

I nursed my daughter for a year and a half, but I never pumped. On the rare occasions that I went out or during the feedings that my husband woke up for she would get formula. My daughter never rejected one or the other. Once she was 1 or so I did a sippy cup and nursing. I am sure that it’s different for every child though. We mixed it up from day one.