Starting from scratch...

I’m expecting a baby girl and am very conflicted with names. My SO has twin daughters from his first marriage, with the beautiful names of [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. I wanted a name that would go well with theirs, but that is international and easily written and pronounced in Portuguese because of my Brazilian family.

I had made a list of names, but the only ones I really liked were [name_f]Nina[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f] and [name_f]Cora[/name_f]… more or less.

I’m hoping you guys could help me come up with a preferably two-syllable name that could work. I really love the name [name_f]Maria[/name_f], but the daddy’s not too excited about it. [name_f]Silvia[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Laila[/name_f] and [name_f]Maia[/name_f] are also names I suggested to him, that he vetoed.

This is making me very stressed out! If baby were to be a boy, his name would be [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] (pronounced OO-goo in [name_u]Brazil[/name_u]), which could be pronounced by us in the English way and by my family the Brazilian way.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Iris[/name_f]?

I love the names [name_f]Julia[/name_f] and [name_f]Maria[/name_f]!
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] is a beautiful name that goes very well with [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and [name_f]Daisy[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is way too close to [name_u]Ellis[/name_u].

[name_m]How[/name_m] about:
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_f]Mira[/name_f]

Also, what was wrong with [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Nina[/name_f], and [name_f]Cora[/name_f]? I love them all!

[name_f]Maria[/name_f] is so beautiful. Maybe you can get him to agree with it being a middle. You may like [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], or [name_f]Mia[/name_f].

I don’t think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] sounds too much like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], especially when my step-daughter just goes by [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] most of the time. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] on the other hand wouldn’t have a nickname. The daddy commented on the name [name_f]Maria[/name_f] this morning. He said that it wasn’t so bad… I think we’re making progress.

[name_f]Junia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lina[/name_f]
[name_f]Caia[/name_f]
[name_f]Irene[/name_f]
[name_u]Romy[/name_u]
[name_f]Nova[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Bella[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_u]Alva[/name_u]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_u]Carmen[/name_u]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Lea[/name_f]
[name_f]Camila[/name_f]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Livia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ana[/name_f]
[name_f]Lara[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosa[/name_f]
[name_f]Carla[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]

What about [name_f]Malia[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Maria[/name_f]?

Other suggestions:
[name_f]Daniella[/name_f]
[name_f]Gabriella[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexia[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Livia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]

:slight_smile:

[name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Livia[/name_f], [name_f]Maria[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f] (my name, love it!), [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Elisa[/name_f], [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], [name_f]Ester[/name_f], [name_f]Irene[/name_f], [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_f]Camilla[/name_f], [name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] are all names I think would match your step-daughters and be equally great with your Brazilian family. I love [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and think you can still pull it off with [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and [name_f]Daisy[/name_f].

Thank you for your awesome suggestions, everyone! [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Livia[/name_f], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f] and [name_f]Helena[/name_f] are all beautiful classic names that can be used no doubt in both English and Portuguese, without ceasing to be beautiful.

My SO actually loved these five names a lot and they’re now on our list with [name_f]Maria[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f] and [name_f]Cora[/name_f].