Starting to love the name Dashiell...

[name]Dashiell[/name] is really growing on me…and I adore the NN [name]Dash[/name]!!

Funny, I went to school with a guy named [name]Dashiell[/name] and remember thinking, “Where the heck did his parents get that name from?!” Funny how our tastes change!!

Struggling with pronunciation…he pronounced it [name]Dash[/name]-ull, which is the correct pronounciation I think, but I’m thinking a lot of people whom have never heard of it will say “[name]Dash[/name]-ee-ull” which I actually don’t mind- I kinda like the sound of that too.

Thoughts on this name?

[name]Dashiell[/name] is on our short list for boys’ names. I, too, love the nn [name]Dash[/name]. My husband is taking a little convincing, though… the name (when pronounced) makes him think of [name]Tom[/name] Daschle.

I prefer the [name]Dash[/name]-ull pronunciation. FWIW, on the baby names world website, 60% of the respondents for the name [name]Dashiell[/name] said that it is “always” mispronounced, 36% “occasionally”. So if you’re looking for a name that will never/rarely be mispronounced, it seems like this isn’t it. But I love it!

Oh yay! [name]Dashiell[/name] is my son’s name, so obviously I love it! The pronunciation issues are very annoying. Some people say duh-sheel and some say dah-shell. A lot of people who have only read the name (like people at the doctors office, for instance) assume he’s a girl. All that annoyed me at first, but not anymore. We still get the occasional, “oh…” when we tell people his name, but for the most part people think it’s awesome. Some people say “like [name]Dash[/name] in the Incredibles?!”, and then they really love it.

I 100% love the name, but you just have to be prepared for some confusion/mispronunciations. That’s really not as big of a deal as it seems.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Dashiell[/name] is beyond handsome and so cool!

I totally love [name]Dashiell[/name], too! I’ve been in love with it ever since [name]Lyndsay[/name] began considering it for her baby boy, and love it even more knowing how adorable he is. :slight_smile:

Take care! :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone! Now for the hard part- coming up with 2 middle names with the letters HJ in honor of my father. I wanted [name]Harrison[/name] (his name is [name]Harry[/name]) but my husband just won’t agree to it (he thinks of [name]Harrison[/name] [name]Ford[/name]. Why do all men have to associate every name with something??)
He loves the name [name]Henrik[/name] (his favorite hockey player) which I think is a cool name- not to mention that it’s roots are [name]Henry[/name], and [name]Harry[/name] is a NN of [name]Henry[/name]…but I’m not sure about putting 2 unique names together…I feel like it should have something more “recognizable” in a sense. His suggestion was [name]Dashiell[/name] Henrick [name]Jude[/name]. Not sure I’m digging that.

[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Henrik[/name] [name]Jude[/name] is cool! Does this name combo sound good with your last name?

It’s not bad…our last name is a 3 syllable Italian last name starting with an A.
It’s pretty long all together, but I figure there aren’t that many times that you would actually be saying it outloud lol
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Harrison[/name] would be a lot easier, but I just can’t get him to commit to it!

Oh, FYI in case I confused anyone- I’m both kristinny and deedee!
I was having trouble with one account when I signed up, so I made a new name on another browser- so now I end up posting with both depending on the browser I’m using lol

[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Henrik[/name] [name]Jude[/name] is nice esp [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Henrik[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you need a third name?

Couldn’t you save the “J” to honour your father for another baby?

I just thought if we had my father’s initials, that would mean more than just having a middle name that started with the same letter. Although [name]Henrik[/name] has the same roots as [name]Harry[/name], I don’t think anyone would know that unless they were a true name guru lol