State Names

In today’s birth announcements was a baby named [name]Justin[/name] [name]Tennessee[/name], which got me thinking about state names. Have you ever known anyone named after a state?

I personally know or have known a [name]Virginia[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Montana[/name], [name]Dakota[/name], [name]Arizona[/name], and [name]Florida[/name]. I had a great-grandfather on my dad’s side named [name]George[/name] [name]Washington[/name] lastname and one on my mom’s side named [name]Travis[/name] [name]Texas[/name] lastname. I also did a research project on a women named [name]Memphis[/name] [name]Tennessee[/name] [name]Garrison[/name] in college.

When I was little I wanted to grow up and have kids named Mississippi and [name]Indiana[/name]. At another point I wanted to name twins [name]America[/name] and [name]Arizona[/name]. And I have at various points in my life been quite in love with [name]Virginia[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Carolina[/name].

I just checked the stats on state names. I did not check all spelling variants, but found a few.

Girls (number of times used)
[name]Alabama[/name] 19
Alaska 19
[name]Arizona[/name] 34
[name]California[/name] 14
[name]Georgia[/name] 968
[name]Indiana[/name] 26
Kansas 26
[name]Montana[/name] 128
[name]Nevada[/name] 33
[name]Tennessee[/name] 7
[name]Virginia[/name] 484
[name]Jersey[/name] 218
[name]Carolina[/name] 818
[name]Dakota[/name] 1176 (and [name]Dakotah[/name] with 58)
Island (as in Rhode…) 13
[name]America[/name] 539 (and [name]Amerika[/name] with 27

Boys:
[name]Indiana[/name] 26 (exact same number as girls!)
[name]Montana[/name] 38
[name]Nevada[/name] 7
[name]Tennessee[/name] 6
[name]Texas[/name] 11
[name]Washington[/name] 6
[name]Jersey[/name] 8
[name]York[/name] 5
[name]Dakota[/name] 1361 (and [name]Dakotah[/name] with 64)
[name]Rhodes[/name] 15 (but no Rhode)

And, because I noticed them:
Anacarolina 8, Annacarolina 5
[name]North[/name] (male) 11
[name]West[/name] (male) 57
Southern (female) 7
[name]Americo[/name] (male) 11

I love [name]Alabama[/name], [name]Louisiana[/name], Tennesee, [name]Carolina[/name], and [name]Georgia[/name].

If i wasnt in love with [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Montana[/name] id name consider [name]Montana[/name], but everyone i know knows i like the show so thatd be weird. Id consider [name]Dakota[/name] too but im not in love with it (neither with [name]Montana[/name] but id consider both)

I love [name]Alabama[/name], [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]Carolina[/name] all as names. [name]Virginia[/name] works too, but weirdly I think of that name first, then state, so it doesn’t really count in my mind.

We found a birth cirtificate for my husband’s gg grandmother-- [name]Texana[/name]! I think it’s cool.

The names that end in -ana ([name]Indiana[/name], [name]Montana[/name]) aren’t too bad for a girl.

I kind of feel that you have to have a reason to use a place-name, though-- heritage or sentimental value-- because you’re inevitably going to get questions. I’d hate to have to answer, “I named to [name]Tennessee[/name] because I just thought it was pretty!”

I disagree, if you pick [name]Emma[/name] for a name, you pick it because it is beautiful, not because some other reason. Yes you have the few times someone picks it to honor someone but most names are taken because they are pretty, not for a certain link. When i want to name my son [name]Milan[/name] its because it beautiful not because he was conceived in Spain!

I know somebody who wanted to name his daughter [name]California[/name] but luckily his wife talked him in to just “[name]Callie[/name]”.

[quote=“ihartnames”]

I disagree, if you pick [name]Emma[/name] for a name, you pick it because it is beautiful, not because some other reason. Yes you have the few times someone picks it to honor someone but most names are taken because they are pretty, not for a certain link. When i want to name my son [name]Milan[/name] its because it beautiful not because he was conceived in Spain![/quote]

Is [name]Milan[/name] not in [name]Italy[/name]? Or is there a town in Spain called [name]Milan[/name] I haven’t heard of?

This isnt a state, but I once met a girl named [name]Miami[/name].

I’ve met several Georgias’
This doesn’t count but one time I met a little girl who looked SO MUCH like [name]Dakota[/name] Fanning I had to ask her if I could call her that.
She said yes;)

Smile!
[name]Isabel[/name]