Stella: A beer or a beautiful name?

Hubby and I love the name [name]Stella[/name]. It is short, sassy, sweet, elegant and the meaning of “star” for a [name]November[/name]/[name]December[/name] baby seems beautiful. However we mentioned the name as a possibility to a few and got the following reactions on several occasions:

Stellllllllaaaaaa!!! reference from [name]Street[/name] Car Named Desire. With a gentle reminder that she will forever have this reference associated with her name.

Second, [name]Stella[/name] is a beer. As in [name]Stella[/name] Artois.

What’s the poll on this one? Our alternates are [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Grace[/name], [name]Ava[/name] [name]Lucia[/name], [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Allegra[/name] or [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Lucia[/name] or [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. Our last name is Italian and often mispronounced.

Go with [name]Stella[/name] or is one of the alternates a safer option?
thx!

I love all of your choices! I didn’t know there was a [name]Stella[/name] Beer and have never seen the movie you reference. My favs of your list are [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name], but I also really like [name]Stella[/name]. If you love it, go for it.

I am familiar with the beer but don’t really associate them strongly. It’s like the name [name]John[/name], I mean, that’s a prostitute’s client and a toilet, but, it’s so established as a name, it has its own totally safe area separate from that.

The movie, on the other hand, I will admit when I hear the name I do want to call it.

I know a little [name]Stella[/name] and the name is shooting up the charts - so I think people are getting over these things. Perhaps you live in an area where it’s less common, and that’s why the associations are so strong.

[name]Stella[/name] and all your options are nice. [name]Every[/name] name has some associations. Go with what you love most and what goes with your last name : D.

Good luck!

I have never heard of the beer so I don’t associate [name]Stella[/name] with that. I think of the [name]Stella[/name] in [name]How[/name] I Met Your Mother. It’s a pretty popular name now so I don’ think you’ll have issues, but if it does bother you, I wouldn’t use it.

[name]Stella[/name] is currently 73 on the charts in the US, it’s also had a very big popularity surge in [name]France[/name] and who knows what other countries so I don’t think it can be considered passé.

I don’t immediately associate it with [name]Stella[/name] Artois and don’t consider it a dogs name either. It’s NMS but it’s a perfectly lovely and usable name imo.