Stella or Violet?

See the results of this poll: Stella or Violet?

Respondents: 32 (This poll is closed)

• Stella: 10 (31%)
  • Violet: 22 (69%)

I chose [name]Violet[/name], but I really think it depends what you’re looking for. [name]Violet[/name] feels softer, very feminine and delicate (which is what I look for in a girls name) while [name]Stella[/name] has a more spunk, and sass to it. Though they are both excellent choices!

I like [name]Stella[/name] much, much more. They’re very similar stylistically, but [name]Stella[/name] is just infinitely more appealing to me. [name]Violet[/name] sounds so much like “violent,” and that’s all I hear when I hear the name. To my ears, there’s nothing graceful or feminine about it- it’s harsh and crass. But I think [name]Stella[/name] is beautiful.

Loooooooove [name]Stella[/name]! It’s a beautiful name with a very apealing meaning : ) Gorgeous. [name]Violet[/name] is much harsher, I think. I prefer [name]Viola[/name] over [name]Violet[/name], but both [name]Stella[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] are beautiful : )

Best of luck! : )

I know that most people love both names, but I am honestly not a fan of either. I have never cared for [name]Violet[/name], even though I know it is a favorite among many. [name]Flower[/name] names aren’t my style (I guess I like a more “solid” name), but I also think of ‘violent’ when I hear the name. [name]Stella[/name] is nice, I just don’t like how trendy it is becoming. [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Stella[/name] are super popular where I live, so maybe I am just tired of hearing it. Between the two I would have to pick [name]Stella[/name], though. Those are just my opinions; you really can’t go wrong with either, they just aren’t for me :wink:

Although both names are pretty, I voted for demure, ladylike [name]Violet[/name] over the more modern, sexy [name]Stella[/name]. It just comes down to what image you want to convey with your daughter’s name. I also think that [name]Stella[/name] is very trendy right now with all of the celebrities choosing it ([name]Melanie[/name] [name]Griffith[/name], [name]Ellen[/name] [name]Pompeo[/name], [name]Matt[/name] [name]Damon[/name] and the list goes on). It is super hot and I predict it will rise even further in popularity. I can only recall one famous couple who chose [name]Violet[/name] for their daughter and that was [name]Ben[/name] Affleck and [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Garner[/name]) and she was named after [name]Jennifer[/name]'s grandmother. I much prefer the stately and graceful [name]Estella[/name] to [name]Stella[/name].

I had a job where we could pick a pseudonym to put on our ID badge and I picked [name]Stella[/name]. I’ve also used it as my “Starbucks name” so my order doesn’t get confused with other people that have my (more common) name. From this experience I can tell you that EVERYONE’s first response to [name]Stella[/name] is to shout out STELL-A!! Like they’re in a Starbucks production of A Streetcar Named Desire. I totally love the name which is why I picked it as a pseudonym but I wouldn’t use it for a baby because of that… It got obnoxious after having it on a name tag for six months, I can only imagine a whole lifetime of that!
Meanwhile, [name]Violet[/name] is mega-adorable and would be our first choice for this bean we’ve got due in [name]January[/name] if one of my husband’s (huge) family hadn’t used it already…

LOL, I love this feedback!
Actually, I think using a favorite name as your “Starbucks name” is a great idea as a way to ‘test drive’ names :wink: Obviously you have to go to Starbucks (or something similar) enough to do it, but I think it gives you valuable feedback and perceptions on a name.

For what it’s worth, I prefer [name]Violeta[/name] to either name. Maybe a good way to combine the distinctiveness of [name]Violet[/name] with the softness of [name]Stella[/name]?

I agree with Rosamonte - [name]Violetta[/name] is a more melodic version of the name.

When I hear [name]Violet[/name] I think of the [name]Richard[/name] [name]Gere[/name]/[name]Kim[/name] Bassinger movie where he’s the psychoanalyst lecturing on Freud about a dream with violets in it and it’s meant to be symbolic of being violated. [name]Trust[/name] Freud to ruin a perfectly good name, but [name]Violetta[/name] avoids the “violate” connotations for me.

I love “v” names and flower names, so it really was no contest for me. [name]Both[/name] names are beautiful though.