Step-daughter is Iris. Which goes better with it - Athena or Sophia?

I want it to work nicely for my daughter and her sister

I think [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] goes well with [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. If you want an obviously themed set, [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] are great together.

I think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] work really well together! Both are Greek but the connection is subtle and nice. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f] work too, but set a very prominent Greek goddess theme in my eyes.

I think [name_f]Athena[/name_f] goes better.

Iris and [name_f]Athena[/name_f] are perfect for sisters!

I love [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f] together! I think [name_f]Athena[/name_f] matches the style of [name_f]Iris[/name_f] better, and the goddess connection is quite cool imo.

I have to agree with this. ^^ :slight_smile:

1 Like

While I normally avoid a potential theme, I really do love [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] together and strongly prefer [name_f]Athena[/name_f] to [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. I might lean in favor of [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] over [name_f]Athena[/name_f] if that were an option, I think it’s a better match to Iris while not being themey like Athena, but even then it would be pretty neck-and-neck.

And I don’t think [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] as a first and middle sounds that great (another instance where I’m going to endorse [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] because [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] has a really nice cadence.)

Another vote for [name_f]Athena[/name_f]!

Sophia is nice, but it’s very popular compared to [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. I find [name_f]Iris[/name_f] to be classic, yet fresh and striking.
[name_f]My[/name_f] only concern with [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is they might be obviously matchy to some. I would really love [name_f]Thea[/name_f] as an alternative, if you’re looking.

1 Like

My worry if [name_f]Athena[/name_f] was used was whether you would feel compelled to use another obviously Greek name if you had another daughter down the line. You could back yourself into a corner and use [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], say, which is lovely, but very obviously themed.

I think without the context, I prefer [name_f]Athena[/name_f] to [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] but do wonder what it would mean for a matching set.

+1

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] is :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Athena gets my vote! I love the name.

I prefer [name_f]Athena[/name_f] with [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. Both are interesting and lovely

I vote for [name_f]Sophia[/name_f].

I think both go perfectly! [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] both have roots in Greek mythology that can give the girls role models, and the names flow beautifully. [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] both have lovely meanings (wisdom and rainbow) and still roll of the tongue easily. I think you could do no wrong, BUT it is kind of cool to have two Greek goddesses as your daughters :grin:

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] is pretty obviously more to my personal taste, and I do think it fits slightly better with [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. However:

The most important thing in this situation is for you to pick a bane you love. If [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] is the One for you, you can’t ignore that.

I would probably avoid [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] because the A-A makes it a little awkward - if you want to use both, [name_f]Athena[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] would be the way to go.

I prefer [name_f]Athena[/name_f]. I like SophiE as well

I think that [name_f]Athena[/name_f] would be so perfect! [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] feels cheap and popular next to [name_f]Iris[/name_f], but [name_f]Athena[/name_f] fits a greek goddess theme and is just as strong and beautiful!

Something my partner and I do is use the more popular names we love as middle names. My sin’s middle is Theodore, and Sebarian is another possibility for a future child,cbith of which were names we liked but we already knew too many kids with these names.

You may want to keep looking in your search for a first. If Athena feels to themey, and Sophia is too popular, there must be something that strikes a nice balance put there!

I looked at the Social Security charts for names of comparable popularity to Iris and then focused on names that seem like they might appeal to you based on your interest in Sophia and Athena.
Vivian/ Vivienne
Amara
Eden
Lydia
Clara
Ximena
Valerie
Cora
Eliza
Jasmine
Cecelia/ Cecily

Names that are less popular than Sophia, Athena, and Iris, but that would be good with Iris. These names include other short punchy Greek names and vintage gems
Althea
Sylvia
Daphne
Leda
Vera
Helena/ Helen/ Elaine
Phoebe
Louisa
Flora
Susannah/ Susanna
Opal
Frances/ Francesca
Rhea
Audra (there’s also Audrey, which charts higher than Athena and Iris but isn’t as popular as Sophia)
Toula/Tula
Neoma
Sybil/ Sybella
Frida
Clio/ Cleo
Dinah
Miriam
Faye
Thora

I think that they both go well with [name_f]Iris[/name_f] in different ways. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] & [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] is classic, feminine, and sweet. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] & [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is a little bolder and more unique. But both sets are equally nice. It’s so cute that you’re considering their names together too.

1 Like