Step-sisters that rhyme? Do I dare??

I’m still looking for a girls name and considering both [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Calista[/name].

[name]Scarlett[/name] won’t have a formal nickname and [name]Calista[/name] husband says he will call “[name]Cali[/name]”. The problem with that is that I have a step-daughter already named [name]Allison[/name] (5) that almost always goes by “[name]Allie[/name]”. [name]Even[/name] though their full names wouldn’t rhyme, their nicknames would. He doesn’t care, but I’m having a hard time with it and need opinions on how that sounds to you.

On the other hand, my father-in-law is terrible at shortening names and I fear naming her [name]Scarlett[/name] would inevitably turn in to “Scar” no matter how much I freak about it. (He even calls our already shortened [name]Allie[/name] “[name]Al[/name]”). Husband won’t agree to a nickname for the name, however, and likes it as-is. I tried [name]Carly[/name], [name]Lettie[/name], etc. and he hates them, saying it’s already and two-syllable name that has no need for nn.

Here are my questions:

1. [name]How[/name] bad is the [name]Cali[/name]/[name]Allie[/name] combo for step-sisters if their full names don’t rhyme?

2. Which name do you like better and why?

3. [name]Scarlett[/name] would be [name]Scarlett[/name] Joesphine (after DH), but any ideas on [name]Calista[/name]? My mn is [name]Rachelle[/name] and husband says it is too “weird”. Thoughts?

Here are my questions:

1. [name]How[/name] bad is the [name]Cali[/name]/[name]Allie[/name] combo for step-sisters if their full names don’t rhyme? I don’t think that its bad, but if they live together, I do think it will be confusing for you and them. What about giving [name]Calista[/name] a different nickname. An easy solution would be [name]Cala[/name]/[name]Calla[/name] instead of [name]Cali[/name] (think [name]Calla[/name] [name]Lily[/name] and its very pretty).

2. Which name do you like better and why? I like [name]Calista[/name]. Its so soft and pretty, familiar yet not popular and it works well for any age. I also like [name]Scarlet[/name], but the “scar” syllable bothers me. I also don’t think its as versatile; it wouldn’t fit a child of any personality as well as [name]Calista[/name].

3. [name]Scarlett[/name] would be [name]Scarlett[/name] Joesphine (after DH), but any ideas on [name]Calista[/name]? My mn is [name]Rachelle[/name] and husband says it is too “weird”. Thoughts?
    Why not [name]Calista[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]? Then if you’re willing to consider initial nicknames “CJ” would be cute if [name]Cali[/name] or [name]Calla[/name] doesn’t suit her.

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

1. I don’t think I would do the rhyming thing. If the [name]Allie[/name] was your biological child, would you consider it?

2. I really like them both. [name]Scarlett[/name] is pretty and more familiar, [name]Calista[/name] is pretty and more exotic.

3. Why not [name]Calista[/name] [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Calista[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] or [name]Calista[/name] [name]Marie[/name], since I know you are wanting to use a family name?

Personally, I think a nn for [name]Scarlet[/name] will evolve whether your husband plans for it or not. I would start calling her [name]Carly[/name] or [name]Lettie[/name] when she is born to head off any “Scar” tendencies that may arise.

If your step daughter doesn’t live with you full time, it probably wouldn’t be too confusing for the girls or seem too matchy/cutesy. I really did like the pp’s suggestion about thinking about it like [name]Allie[/name] was your biological child though. You probably wouldn’t do that for sure then huh? [name]Allie[/name] might like having a little sister with a rhyming nickname, but she might also be a little upset too, like you didn’t realize or remember the name you picked was similar to hers.

As for [name]Scarlett[/name]'s nicknames - My daughter is 8 and no one has ever called her Scar. We started using [name]Carly[/name] from the start and it caught on quickly. When she meets new people, she introduces herself as [name]Scarlett[/name] or just [name]Carly[/name] depending on her mood :slight_smile: I think as far as kids being kids and teasing each other-- yeah, scar could come up naturally, but almost every name has a teasing thing like that and it’s just part of being kids. Most people wouldn’t naturally go to “scar” realizing it’s not that positive of a word! (oh and I wanted to add that sometimes [name]Carly[/name] isn’t even short enough for me and I find myself calling her Car alot! no, Car’s not really that great of a name, but it works!)

Thanks so much for the replies. I have really appreciated seeing what you have to say!

I may have to reconsider [name]Calista[/name] as dh refuses to call her anything but [name]Cali[/name]. I personally think I would call her [name]Calista[/name] most of the time. We have 50/50 custody, and [name]Allie[/name] probably would like it at least initially…but I don’t know about down the road. Basically if we can’t do [name]Cali[/name] for the nn, it won’t work.

For [name]Scarlett[/name], I’d [name]LOVE[/name] to call her [name]Carly[/name] or [name]Lettie[/name], but again he won’t budge and said he’d call her “[name]Red[/name]” as an informal nickname just in our household but nothing else. He even said if I “think” about calling her [name]Carly[/name] or any other nickname he won’t agree to the name.

I swear I just want to give up because I’ve given up a ton of my names already and am running out of ideas. He is very PICKY and traditional/cutesy…He wanted [name]KAYLEE[/name] for the love of god! :o …and I honestly want something different as long as the name grows with her. Most of the names on my list that are popular are his. These are the only two I got him to agree on. The other vintagey names I like he says are “old lady” or he just makes a face.

The nickname thing I really appreciate the responses on though as I really need some unbiased feedback. I’m going to keep thinking about it all I suppose.

Since [name]Calista[/name] may not work, what you guys think about [name]Clarissa[/name] nn [name]Claire[/name]? Does it remind you too much of the 90’s show? It’s similar to the sound of [name]Calista[/name] (although more common).

DH isn’t sure about [name]Claire[/name] as a name since she’d be called that by most, I like it a bit but am not sure.

Does it sound “uppity”? [name]How[/name] does it strike you?

[name]Clarissa[/name] nn [name]Claire[/name] doesn’t sound “uppity” at all! [name]Claire[/name] goes very well with [name]Allie[/name] (and I can’t remember the boy’s name!) [name]Clarissa[/name] doesn’t strike me as 90’s, but it is definitely not as “au currant” as your other two, for better or worse.

The other one is [name]Andrew[/name] (goes by [name]Andy[/name]). They are both step-kids, and I didn’t name them. I’m not fans of their names at all actually, but am stuck with the task of finding a name that might work together. Or, I can just go off the wall and name her one like [name]Scarlett[/name]…lol.
Pretty much, if I pick [name]Scarlett[/name] neither of our parents will probably speak to me for months I’m thinking… :o

It’s a tricky situation because dh is very picky and very “cutsie” when it comes to names. You saw my two favs ([name]Calista[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name])…not as mainstream (although [name]Scarlett[/name] is considered trendy now). Speaking of this, I was calling him a “Yuppie” last night, which although true, didn’t go over well! LOL I guess on the Yupster and Hipsters I’m somewhere in between and just need some good ideas.

The other name he likes is [name]Paige[/name], which I don’t have a huge issue with but he insists on [name]Marie[/name] as her mn and I think although it’s a family name it sounds “filler”. For [name]Paige[/name], I’d prefer something like [name]Paige[/name] [name]Marielle[/name].

Finding something in the middle and us both being happy is going to be a challenge!