Stewart and Emery

Original thread for reference: Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

Struggling with less than 4 weeks to go! My wife and I are expecting a little girl, a sibling for [name]Sawyer[/name] (boy), who is 20 months.

[name]Stewart[/name] and [name]Emery[/name] are my favorite names, although both have some pronunciation issues in Spanish.

I love the ‘y’ commonality of [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]Emery[/name] as a sibling set and I love [name]Stewart[/name] [name]Duncan[/name], which is our last name. Which sounds like a girl that I would love to meet; I think the ‘S’ and ‘w’ commonality with [name]Sawyer[/name] also feels like a sibling pair.

Names that I like that my wife doesn’t like are [name]Parker[/name], [name]Kennedy[/name], [name]Dylan[/name], and [name]Grayson[/name].

Middle names (tertiary importance) are [name]Ray[/name], [name]Hollis[/name], and Sar, though I doubt anything will sound good with Sar but it’s the church where we were married and daughter will be born in same town. [name]Sawyer[/name]'s middle name ([name]James[/name]) also comes from this town, where he and his mom were both born.

[name]Just[/name] thought I would restart this thread to see if it might stir up any new names, as my wife and I have yet to have that one ah-ha! like we had when I said, “Hey, what do you think about [name]Sawyer[/name]?” and we both knew it was the name of our son.

[name]Stewart[/name] and [name]Emery[/name] are a little too boyish for me. What about the name [name]Emely[/name] ( pronounced [name]Emily[/name]) then it has the same look as [name]Emery[/name], but is a girl name

• [name]Evelyn[/name]

And me. Especially [name]Stewart[/name]. If someone said to me, ‘I have a boy and a girl - [name]Stewart[/name] and [name]Sawyer[/name]’ I would think [name]Sawyer[/name] was the girl! While unisex, [name]Sawyer[/name] does lean towards the boys in terms of statistics, so you might be best off with another unisex name like [name]Emery[/name] or [name]Emerson[/name]. Otherwise, have you considered:
[name]Emmeline[/name] / [name]Emeline[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Emelia[/name] / [name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Saylor[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Sage[/name]

I like [name]Emery[/name] of the two, I agree that of [name]Stewart[/name] and [name]Sawyer[/name], I would picture two boys or [name]Sawyer[/name] being the girl!

Kind of unisex names with the y or an S…
[name]Everly[/name]
[name]Bailey[/name]
[name]Marley[/name]
[name]Casey[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Peyton[/name]
[name]Skylar[/name] (too similar to [name]Sawyer[/name]? I like nn [name]Sky[/name] for a little girl)
[name]Sasha[/name]

Would you ever consider [name]Sarah[/name] for Sar?

I’m sorry, but [name]Steward[/name] is all boy to me. I’m on the fence about [name]Emery[/name] but I don’t really like it.

This exactly. [name]Stewart[/name] is unredeemably masculine to me, I cannot see this on a girl.

Interesting, thanks, [name]Sarah[/name] is my grandmother’s name - and daughter-to-be’s great grandmother. Had not thought of Sar > [name]Sarah[/name] thanks again.

Curious how those opposed to [name]Stewart[/name] for a little girl feel about the name [name]Parker[/name]? I like [name]Parker[/name] on a girl and feel it pairs well with [name]Sawyer[/name].

[name]Emery[/name] is a lovely name, a bit problematic in Spanish, and a friend of a good friend recently named his daughter [name]Emery[/name] but that’s not a deal breaker, obviously.

[name]Parker[/name] is more unisex, yes, and I think it goes with [name]Sawyer[/name]. I would use a clearly feminine middle name with it, though. :slight_smile:

I feel better about [name]Parker[/name] than your first two, I think it’s gotten more play as a girls name in recent years and, as pp said, with a mn that is definitely feminine, I think it would be nice!

[name]Glad[/name] you like the [name]Sarah[/name] idea! Very cool that it would honor both a special place for your family and your daughters great-grandmother.

My wife (Spanish) can’t wrap her head around [name]Parker[/name] for a girl - she taught 5 or so Parkers in the states who were all boys and she can’t see this name on a little girl. So technically it’s scratched off the list.

I am personally against surname names, especially on girls. Though, there are a few exceptions that I actually like, I still wouldn’t use them as a name for my child. I don’t understand this craze for using Anglo-[name]Saxon[/name] surnames that usually have no significance for the parent other than they thought the name was “cute.” I think [name]Parker[/name] is horrendous on a girl, I don’t like it much on a boy, either. This opens the questions. Why not just name your daughter Horowitz, or Police Woman? I always think it is interesting that none Anglo-[name]Saxon[/name] surnames are never used. I have never seen a Schmidt, Kowalski or [name]Hernandez[/name] on a little girl. But if its ok to use [name]Parker[/name] and [name]Taylor[/name], why not the above?

That said, I don’t have problems with surname names have they have some religious significance. Examples would be [name]Xavier[/name] or [name]Brigham[/name].

[name]Stewart[/name] is way too masculine for a girl’s name :frowning: I don’t even like [name]Stewart[/name] as a boy’s name to be honest.

[name]Emery[/name] is ok… What about [name]Ember[/name]?

When I think of little baby girls I think of pretty and pink and delicate and I cringe when I see overbearing male names.

Good luck.

I agree these are very boyish names…