Still certain of Liv Coraline, just wondering about these new acquisitions

I think no matter how many new names we add to the girl’s list, we’re always going to return or [name_f]Liv[/name_f] [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]. Still, we keep finding names to fall in love with and would love to hear some opinions on [name_f]Noa[/name_f], which I actually thought it was a embellished form of [name_u]Noah[/name_u] and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it isn’t. [name_u]Ever[/name_u], which I’ve only heard on boys but seems very gender neutral. I kind of like it for a girl. Noga is a Hebrew name for girls. It is very similar to Noa, I think its interesting and somehow sweet.

I adore [name_f]Noa[/name_f]. It’s so simple, streamlined and beautiful, with no fuss. I would hesitate to use it though because of its similarity to [name_u]Noah[/name_u]; I think lots of people would just assume it’s a kre8iv feminisation of a popular masculine name and I don’t want that. You could always explain its true origin to people though, and [name_f]Noa[/name_f] would be a perfect sister to [name_f]Liv[/name_f] [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]. Maybe with a similarly long/feminine/botanical middle: [name_f]Noa[/name_f] [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f], [name_f]Noa[/name_f] [name_f]Cicely[/name_f], [name_f]Noa[/name_f] Vivendel or [name_f]Noa[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], perhaps?

[name_u]Ever[/name_u] is another guilty pleasure of mine. I like it on both genders but I actually prefer it for a girl - again, it has that bold, no-fuss style which I love. Stylistically it’s a great match with [name_f]Liv[/name_f], but I’m not sure about [name_f]Liv[/name_f] and [name_u]Ever[/name_u] together as they have quite similar sounds. It definitely could work though!

Liv Coraline is a great choice! I know what you mean about considering other options though, I keep doing it myself for our little one on the way. We decided for a short list rather than one name but even though I’m trying not to add to the list I keep reevaluating or coming up with new possibilities anyway. The other day the kids were watching Alice and wonderland and I got to thinking…hmmm, Alice…so it’s back on our list now! I think this list will be in flux until the baby comes!

Noa is a lovely name but I cringe at how often it is here that people think a name sounds feminine even though culturally or historically if hasn’t been because of over application of “feminine markers”. I know Noa is a girls name but it still makes me cringe because I think a great deal of the appeal of it for people of non Jewish background is because they think Noah sounds like a girl name.

Everly is popular now but Ever isn’t established as a name so I don’t think it has an established gender. The main issue I see with it is that ever is not an uncommon word in the English language and will likely get mixed up in a sentence. I wouldn’t ever (!!) use it as a name for that reason as I think it would be pretty annoying to deal with.

I don’t care much for the sound of Noga, it makes me think of noggin and naga.

Nothing to me is as awesome as Liv.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] love love [name_f]Liv[/name_f] [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]

I’d leave at top of the list !! Write down under what others you like and maybe once you hold her you’ll know for sure

[name_f]Liv[/name_f] is still my favorite! I love [name_f]Noa[/name_f] but won’t use it because of how insanely popular [name_u]Noah[/name_u] is. [name_u]Ever[/name_u] is nice and it pretty but I just like [name_f]Liv[/name_f] more.

I prefer [name_f]Liv[/name_f]! I think it is adorable! [name_f]Noa[/name_f] would make a wonderful sis, I agree with pp, but I also agree on the [name_u]Noah[/name_u] issue. What about [name_f]Nova[/name_f]? [name_f]Ona[/name_f]? [name_f]Iona[/name_f]?

I’m truly happy to see so much support for [name_f]Liv[/name_f] [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]. I already feel like this is “the” name and all we’ve got to do is wait and actually have a daughter. If we have a son, we’ll be in trouble :smiley: (or he’ll be in trouble?).

I actually kind of like it that [name_u]Ever[/name_u] is also a common word, just not a common name. After all, it is tied with words that carry some weight and significance (forever, never, everyone).

As for [name_f]Noa[/name_f], I must admit I’m one of those non-Jews who saw the name and thought it was a funky way of using [name_u]Noah[/name_u] for a female, and I didn’t like it for that reason. Finding out that it a different name, with different meaning and that it is usually chosen for girls makes me see it under an entirely different light. Strangely, I find [name_u]Noah[/name_u] to be 100% masculine, as other Hebrew “ah” names ([name_m]Jonah[/name_m], [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], [name_u]Micah[/name_u]) and [name_f]Noa[/name_f] is now on a different category.

I see the connection between Noga and naga. That’s too bad, because I do love the name. Almost as much as [name_f]Noa[/name_f].

Thank you for your replies!

i have a (jewish) cousin named noa, which i find really beautiful, and some half israeli kids the other day were confused by her name, and called her noga instead! i find noga pretty dorky, but maybe because i reckon it’s a middle aged woman’s name in israel? (not sure!).

i like liv coraline and noa coraline, how about lia coraline? but i think you’re good!